American Tragedy Review

artist: hollywood undead date: 08/19/2011 category: compact discs
hollywood undead: American Tragedy
Released: Apr 5, 2011
Genre: Rap rock, rapcore, alternative rock
Label: A&M/Octone, Polydor
 Lyrics: 8.3
 7.6
 8.3
 6.9
American Tragedy Reviewed by: js81221, on april 06, 2011

Sound: Beginning the album, Been to Hell easily recognizes Hollywood Undead's true roots of self-superiority, and may foreshadow that it could be their new concert starter, rather than Undead, bringing in the same tone gang-vocals shouting 'Been to Hell' during the chorus and 'Welcome,' at phrase endings. Due to the removal of Deuce, the band's chorus singer, they recruit Danny Murillo, who doesn't do a bad job filling the prior singer's shoes. Fans of the old Hollywood Undead shouldn't be too upset over the change. One of the singles "Comin' in Hot," is the same trademark HU with the verses about drinking, smoking and partying, with a catchy chorus to please. Which, alike the last album, they spend half the album as the split personality, drinking and partying, and the other half about serious deep feelings and personal disputes with themselves and others. "Lights Out," is an attack at Deuce for his actions, proved by even mentioning his name in the song. It's also a reply to Deuce's song: "Story of a Snitch," by his solo project. "Bullet," has the contradicting tone with quick, happy go lucky clean guitar, rim clicks and major themed bass line sounding almost like a nursey rhyme, with vocal patterns and tones set-to-smile, with the lyrics portraying a quite the opposite feeling; Severe depression, with multiple descriptions on ways to commit suicide, like overdosing on pills, drinking to death, bullet to the head and legs dangling off the edge. They even have a little girl sing out the last of the song by herself with a xylophone accompanying her. // 9

Lyrics: Hollywood Undead always has their own way with lyrics. On this album, it doesn't necessarily copy Swan Songs, but keeps the same tone. Drinking and partying, suffering and depression. But it's what fans like them for, and it's what they preach best. Singers remain the same, aside from Danny. Charlie Scene once again steps up as the bands bad-ass and party lover, being referenced in a few places. J-Dog chimes in a few times, even while having to do most of the other instrumental work. Da Kurlzz sticks with percussion and shouts when needed. Funny Man, Johnny 3 Tears and Charlie remain the main rappers while Danny sings the chorus'. None do a too bad job. They keep the ratio of rapping time the same as the last album, Funny Man having his own spotlight behind J3T and Charlie. // 7

Overall Impression: I wouldn't say it mimics their last album, but rather takes it, patches it up, and makes it better. It keeps it rap-rock, which means HU haven't strayed from their roots. The songs that stick out are "Bullet," "Coming Back Down," "Hear Me Now," and "Been to Hell." They have individuality which creates a connection with the listeners and critics. I love the energy and diverseness. Especially with having Danny, the obstacle didn't slow them down or change them for the worse. They kept it how they liked it, and that's how the general Hollywood Undead listeners love it. There's nothing I really hate about it. It's all different and nothing sounds the same. It's original by HU standards, and really shows there swag, bark, and expression. I would get it again if it was misplaced or damaged, because it's got those songs you have to listen to every now and then, or your iTunes arsenal just doesn't feel the same. // 8

American Tragedy Reviewed by: LostLegion, on august 19, 2011

Sound: The album starts with the kick in the face track "Been To Hell". J-Dog said that the song is "the truth about what really happens to people when they move to L.A., to be actors or models or God knows what other delusions people have... Failure. It's all too true, but most people aren't there to see it first-hand. But we are, so it's our interpretation of it all." Another noticeable song in the album is "Hear Me Now", the lead single from the album. Is about the story of a person who is depressed and hopeless, taking a very somber tone to the track. "Lights Out" is Hollywood Undead's response to their former member, Deuce's song "Story Of A Snitch", with the track referencing Deuce by name. "Bullet", the eleventh track on the album is about a man committing suicide. It has an upbeat tempo with energetic vocals, which gives contrast to the dark, lyrical themes. The song also includes an xylophone playing and has a little girl singing at the end. // 9

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics on the song are very deep and affecting. "S.C.A.V.A.", the last track on the Deluxe Edition on the album is about the world ending in 2012. Synyster Gates, the lead guitarist from Avenged Sevenfold, was quoted as saying "Holy sh-t, that's the craziest verse I've ever heard! The lyrics are insane", in response to the lyrics of "S.C.A.V.A." A lot less of the lyrics in the album are about sex and drugs, unlike "Swan Songs". Which might mean that the group are starting to become more serious. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this album is HU's best one yet. Songs like "Bullet" and "I Don't Wanna Die" really got to me. "Le Deux" is also a very energetic song, which I think would be good at parties. Although some bad things about the album is that one minute you will have heavily distorted guitars and screaming about death and then the next you will have them rapping about f--king a woman. Another bad thing is that the band just uses the same layout for every song: rapped verses, and then a clean chorus. So to sum it up, this album shows that Hollywood Undead are ready to take anything on, they are not affected a little bit by the departure of Deuce. They are out to kick-a-s. // 7

American Tragedy Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2011

Sound: For the review, I'll be referring to the special edition of the album, which adds four new tracks. This review is coming from someone who's listened through most of their old material, so forgive me if I make too many references to their first album. Also this is my first review. :) Hollywood Undead certainly has gone through a lot. From first gaining fame from their work on Myspace, to finally scoring a record deal, making a success from their debut album, Swan Songs, going on to making a live DVD compilation along with a few more songs in Desperate Measures, but then hitting a snag when they faced problems that led to the departure of one of the band's key members, Deuce a.k.a Tha Producer. But even with this setback, they stood up a created a new album, American Tragedy. The album starts of strong with Been To Hell. From the first few seconds of the track, their style has evidently changed, with a heavier emphasis on guitars and drums than on any of their past material. Next up comes Apologize, which has a more hip-hop influence to it, but still keeps the drums and the guitar, giving it a nu-metal flavor. It's similar to a song from their past album, which would be California. It has a "swagger" like feel to it, which actually projects a very nice, chill mood. Comin' In Hot is more influenced on hip-hop and rap than it is on rock. The guitar takes a break for a while, as the song relies more on a synthesizer and more hip-hop sounding beats. The fourth track from the album, My Town, doesn't feel as powerful as the first three tracks. It has a "gangster" feel, but the way it was executed leaves a lot to be desired. In a way, it's like another track from their first album, a track called Pimpin'. It had a nice feel to it, but still felt a bit weak. The album gets back up with I Don't Wanna Die. It has a darker tone to it, with some classical piano sounds, and a more emo-style tone to its guitar and its beats. Hear Me Now, the first single they released from the album, isn't half bad. It has a style similar to an old-school Linkin Park, infusing a synthesizer with guitar throughout the entire song. The bad part about this song is it marks a more mainstream sound to their music with its feel. Gangsta Sexy is another hip-hop influenced song. It's nothing special, but its sound is too similar to the hip-hop we hear from artists, which doesn't fly with me in terms of originality. The track Glory brings back the nu-metal feel, but like Gangsta Sexy, its nothing special. And just like Gangsta Sexy, it sounds like material you would hear a lot, which just makes it a generic track, which doesn't set it apart from other songs. Things pick up with Lights Out, which takes a stab at their former singer, Deuce. It's one of the strongest songs of the album, having a more nu-metal feel than any of the earlier tracks, and it keeps the old school Hollywood Undead mood alive, with all of the curses and synthesizers and all the old school HU stuff you were accustomed to. It's a nice piece of work, but it's diminished by the next track. Coming Back Down attempts and utterly fails at producing an acoustic rap. Even if the new singer, Danny, performs the chorus pretty well, the rapped out verses are almost painful to listen to. Considering that HU has made other mellow songs like The Diary and Circles, this is a really big disappointment. It's easily the weakest track of the whole album. Bullet makes up for the track before it. It actually has a cute tone to it, and it has a sarcastic tone to it, talking about suicide with a happy feel to it. The track is even capped of with a young girl singing, which gives it a unexplainable, but a very nice, mellow feel to it. Levitate is one of the stronger songs from the album. Even remixed to fit into a Need For Speed trailer, it has a nice fast feel to it. It's one of those "psych up" songs that just screams at you to get up of your ass and do something insane. Pour Me sounds a lot like The Diary, yet another track from the band's debut album, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It delivers a lot more than Coming Back Down does, and with good reason. Although it doesn't sound depressing or powerful at first, a good listen at it, and you feel something. Like Bullet, it gives an unexplainable, but nice feel to it. Tendencies is a track similar to Levitate in terms of the fast and heavy feel, but retains Been To Hell's beautiful emphasis on the rock sound. It's a track you wish would have been emulated more times in the album. Although Hollywood Undead is best known for infusing rap elements with rock, Mother Murder takes that description and brings it to a new height. It starts off with a nu-metal sounding scratching sound, followed by a little plinking keyboard riff that sounds straight out of a Japanese anime, then jumps to a metal-sounding part that's accentuated by a screamo-sounding "There's blood on my hands!" cry. It has rapped out verses comparable to Eminem's song, Kim, which they executed very beautifully, but is only an appetizer for one of the best choruses I've ever heard in recent memory. Easily the best song on the album. Lump Your Head brings back a fun sounding Hollywood Undead. It's the one song on the album that reminds you the most about what HU is about. It has a satisfying American gangster/Al Capone feel and tone, which makes it another strong track on the album. Le Deux is actually the weakest of the four tracks added to the album, but it's better than most track on the album. It's got a feel not too far from Levitate, but it just doesn't feel as strong as it should. The deluxe version is capped off with the powerful track, S.C.A.V.A.. It sounds like a continuation of the ending track of the first album, Paradise Lost, both being the last tracks of the albums, both accentuated with an orchestra-like feel, having a more rock-ballad like chorus. The track is basically just a trip down memory lane, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. All in all, the album feels like a roller coaster. The quality of the album goes up and down too many times, but it doesn't let you go so easily. Although there were many exceptional tracks on the album, there's just too many flaws in it to give it a perfect score. All in all, 8/10. // 8

Lyrics: The album has a more mainstream approach to it, and it's certainly affected some of the lyrics put into the songs. The heavy curses and profane language they were famous for is now nearly completely absent, which makes the album a bit weaker. Although there were points where their lyrics shone, there's not much that sets them apart from other rappers now. J-Dog has a more prominent vocal role in the album now, rapping a lot more than he did in Swan Songs, but his verses now are actually a bit diminished. In the first album, his raps were fast, hard-hitting, and very complex. Now, his verses are a bit sloppier than his past work. Charlie Scene comes back as the crazy party smoker and drinker persona everyone was accustomed to in the past album. Although he curses a lot less, he still manages to sneak in some libido and profanity within in his verses. Funny Man now actually raps in the more hardcore songs, taking off from his earlier gimmick where he only rapped in the more hip-hop and comedic songs, to good effect. His verses are actually much better sounding now, with an edgier feel than his past material, which just basically revolved around smoking and drinking and having sex. Da Kurlzz takes on the drums for the entire album, him having no verse at all. But whenever he screams, it still sounds as powerful as ever. Just wish he would rap more, seeing as how good his verses in songs like Christmas in Hollywood and in The Natives were. Most of the pressure was on Danny, since he was replacing one of the band's founding members. Although other people would like to see Deuce back in the band, personally, I wouldn't mind Danny replacing him. His choruses were delivered very well, and he might as well keep up the good work. The most disappointing from the six crazy MCs would be Johnny 3 Tears. In the first and even in the band's other earlier works, he would have some of the most hardcore sounding verses and raps in the band. Hearing him talk about true love just doesn't really fit him. I've already mentioned about how badly Coming Back Down went, but his verse in Levitate seems to be where he stumbled down the most. His verse starts off really nicely, sounding like the old school Johnny 3 Tears, "So I'll paint the walls, red drip from the nose / But where it goes, nobody really knows. / Hit the bottle and she's gonna follow." but then he starts saying: "Who needs you when I got my baby? / My baby's beautiful, she loves me true. / And if she dies, I hope I die too." It just ruined what would've been a great verse, actually. In the other songs, he still retains the whole dark emo rapper tone we were accustomed to listening to in the band's earlier songs, but for the most part, they make fans who've heard his past works cringe. Final say is that the jump to mainstream hasn't really been good on all of the lyrics of HU, so I have to say 7/10 for the lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: I don't really need to say anything else about the album, since I typed it out in painful detail up there. (Sorry if it was too long!) Bottom line is, it's not as good as their first album, but it carries it's own weight, and it's better than most of the crap you'd hear on our radios and music stations today. All in all, for keeping rapcore pretty much alive, 8/10. // 8

American Tragedy Reviewed by: bartfan14, on april 11, 2011

Sound: The very first song I heard by Hollywood Undead was "Dead in Ditches" and ever since then, I fell in love with them. The way they write their lyrics and the way all of them sing together on certain songs make them what they are. I've been a fan of Hollywood Undead right before The Producer left. Most people hated that change, but I accepted it, knowing that Hollywood Undead would pull through. However, when I heard that Deuce was leaving to pursue a solo career, I thought to my self, "I'm stuck with Swan Songs and Desperate Measures. No new Hollywood Undead" However, when I heard that a new HU song was coming out, I went apes**t. I learned more about the new singer, Danny, and discovered his background. Then I learned that more songs were coming out, and then I waited 6 months for American Tragedy. My wait was not wasted. I love this CD. Some songs kind of sound like something out of Swan Songs, but a lot of them have their own vibe to them. Ok. Maybe "vibe" wasn't the right word there. Feel maybe? I'm not sure. Now, would I say I like every song on the CD? No. Out of the 14 tracks on this CD, I don't like maybe 2 or 3. The topic matter on the CD does vary greatly, I will give them that. You have one song; we'll take "Bullet" for example. "Bullet" has a light guitar riff, and sounds happy, but it's about suicide and hurting yourself. Then you have "Levitate" (my personal favorite) which you can kind of say is a love song, but I also view it as a song about hope. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the CD is smooth. There are some songs that don't have smooth lyrics and they sound sketchy. Not on this CD. No way. I've already mentioned the way their songs can vary topically. But the intro track and outro track, "Been to Hell" and "Tendencies", kind of introduce the CD and also tie it all up. I can definitely see "Been to Hell" as a concert opener, as I suspected that it would be the first track before I saw the track listing. Another thing I would like to mention on the CD is the way that all of their songs like to stay consistent, and in some ways tell a story. One fair example is the song "Apologize". Charlie raps about smelling of weed odor at the beginning of the song, and then towards the end mentions fighting, saying this lyric, "I'll punch you in the d**k at the end of the fight and I won't say I'm sorry at the end of the night" If you listen to the whole song, you will understand the point that I am trying to make. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a very good CD. I know I've repeated myself a couple times during this review, and I apologize for that. If you need something to kind of party to or rock out by yourself, then I would definitly give this a look into. If you're not familiar with Hollywood Undead at all, I would recommend, (off this CD), "Been to Hell", "Levitate", "Coming Back Down", "Hear me Now", and "Tendencies". If you wanted to check out some songs off of their first CD that I mentioned, Swan Songs, then check these tracks out. "Undead", "Young", "No. 5", and "Paradise Lost". // 8

More Hollywood Undead reviews rating latest review