The Reason Review

8.4
 9.5
 7.2
The Reason Reviewed by: random_player, on july 08, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album was amazing. Powerful rock I'd have to say, but they've also got great acoustic tracks such as 'Lucky' and 'Disappear'. I was very impressed by the way these guys had perfectly matched all parts together to form this great album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have greatly touched me, Doug has proved himself a great singer, his voice goes so well with the lyrics, it's awesome. However, they could have written more songs on topics rather than relationships. Other than that, the lyrics are great and really have good meanings. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, these guys are a great band and can really make some incredible music. I really don't know if albums can get much better than this, but it's fun to liten to and I would recommend it to anyone who like alternative rock. Some of my favorite tracks are 'Same Direction,' 'Escape' and 'Let It Out'. // 10

The Reason Reviewed by: MiNDspiN, on december 09, 2003

Sound: The riffs in Hoobastank's new album sound familiar to their last albums. They shyed away a little from guitar effects, and use a lot of distortion in this album. They also used more acoustic guitar on some of their tracks, including "Lucky." Obviously if you heard Hoobastank's last album, this one sounds similar to the sound of their last album. Still very enjoyable. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album show a lot of emotion from Doug, towards a certain somebody or people. They describe the ups and downs of relationships, but then most of rock is about love and such. I think the lyrics are good. Doug goes a little lighter like a on the song "Whatever Happened To Us." Overall, this album has good lyrics and Doug sings them very well. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a good album for anyone who enjoys rock music. Some of the faster picking riffs in this song would be good as practice for guitarists. This is definitely worth buying if you enjoyed the last Hoobastank album or just want to check them at. You definitely want to get this album, may even make a good stocking stuffer. // 10

The Reason Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2003

Sound: I love the sound of this album. When I heard the first single "Out of Control" I knew this album was going to be worth it. I loved the riffs, the lyrics...just the powere behind it. It's a tad different, less effects (not a whole lot less there still are some), more driven guitar with distortion/overdrive. it's great. I like the way Dan switches between his riffs with the picking (nice practice once someone begins to tab some of these songs) for the verses and the chords he does for the chorus (he does this with every one of the songs just about I believe). It sounds a lot like their last album in a sense, so if you like it, you'll love this one too. They also bring in the acoustic guitar for some of the tracks, and that works out just right with the songs they used it for. Personally, I like this album more then their last album. I love the faster tracks with the nice beats and powerful chords. // 10

Lyrics: I think Doug did well with the lyrics on this album. They are most definetly catchy, I've been humming them everywhere I go (when not listening to the CD). They basically all deal with relationships, but I think he developed a little bit on what he or someone could feel, it's really easy to connect with his lyrics and perhaps find yourself in a same situation or when you were in that situation. // 10

Overall Impression: In my eyes, this album is better than their debut album. I've seen them live once already, and I will be seeing them on tour with LP, POD, and Story of the Year when the tour opens on January 16. I think as of right now, I'm really looking forward to seeing them again rock the stage with tracks from this CD. I love all the tracks, except "lucky" and "from the heart," don't get me wrong, they aren't bad songs, I just don't get the vibe from them I get from the other tracks. If it were lost or stolen, man that person would have hell to pay. I'd certainly issue a manhunt and then when that's over use the money I find off of him to buy the album again. I think it's most definitely worth buying if you are a Hoobastank fan. So go and buy it! // 10

The Reason Reviewed by: nasty_santa409, on may 10, 2004

Sound: I bought the first album a while ago and I was blown away by this band. Their 2nd album, The Reason, has some great riffs. Most of it is a lot heavier than the 1st, and that's the way I like my rock. // 10

Lyrics: The 1st one's lyrics were mainly about how they had changed in life. This album is mainly about love and relationships. Same Direction is a bit political, but I don't care. And Doug's vocals are awesome and they fit the lyrics well. Although, I admit, his screams on Out of Control are a bit whiny, but he backs it up with some awesome singing. // 8

Overall Impression: I loved both albums and I think that Hoobastank has a ton of talent and I hope that they use it well in their future. They are capable of so much. I bought this a few weeks after I bought the new Incubus album, and I've been listening to Hoobastank more. Any Incubus or Filter fan will love this album. My fav. songs are Out Of Control, The Reason, Same Direction, Escape, and Unaffected, but the whole album is awesome. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definetely buy it again. Buy this album. You won't regret it. // 10

The Reason Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on january 03, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is really good. The songs are awsomely put together and most are very catchy without being "too pop". The style of the music is much like the first album and thats alternative rock at its best. But the difference with this CD is that they've included soome ballads that really wokr well for them like "The Reason", "Uneffected" and "Dissapear". // 10

Lyrics: I wasnt overly impressed with the lyrics for the most part except for some songs ("The Reason, "Out Of Control" & "Uneffected"). The lyrics do however suit the music really well and Doug Robb (lead singer & song writer) shows he has some talent for what he does. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definatley Hoobastank's best album, mainly because they have included some ballads that change it up from their first record. The best tracks on the album are "Escape", "The Reason", "From The Heart" and "Uneffected". If this cd were lost or stolen I would definatley buy it again. I also suggest anyone considering buying this to do so its a great album. // 10

The Reason Reviewed by: buckethead101, on february 27, 2005

Sound: I think Hoobastank has evolved in music especially in their sound. The drums are really fat followed by a really great basslines which makes the pair (Chris and Markku) a great rhythm section. The "Let It out" guitar parts are really great and fast enough to feel the groove. I like the strings arrangements of "The Reason", "Lucky", and "Disappear" which complements the guitar riffs of Dan Estrin. What I most liked is the acoustic guitar figures in "Lucky" (in intro and verses) and it really makes me dig into the song. // 8

Lyrics: Their lyrics are actually short but I just loved it. I think Doug Robb is a great singer with a purpose to let his frustration out of his soul. His vocal cords in "The Reason" are very impressive because he can sing high and "Out Of Control" with some high-pitched screeching vocals (I'm spinning out of control I'm out of control) with the help of those in Lost Prophets. // 8

Overall Impression: This album lands this band to success because of the song The Reason which receives an unbelievable airplay. I love all the songs especially "Lucky" because of that acoustic guitar parts. I love it because I listen to this disc. If this was stolen, I'm gonna buy it again because I can't play music without it. // 10

The Reason Reviewed by: cHrisTyVinT, on july 13, 2006

Sound: Hoobastank in their new worl have done a very good job.Even though their long-time bassist left the band Paul Bushnell and Chris Cheney filled his place as far as recording is concerned. The Gibsons, Fenders and Paul Reed Smiths that they used sound really nice and so does the accordion and jazz flute they used in "more than a memory" song trying some new things setting a vibe for the song. Their songs are no more "plain rock" but have an alternation of genres, not being the same thing over and over. // 10

Lyrics: Doug Robb has improved his skills in both singing and lyris writing. His lyrics have now some depth, especially the "Don't Tell Me" track with the remarkable "What you say will be forgoten some day" verse. The songs escape from the emotional-relationship mood they had in Hoobastank's previous album and now treat diffrent subjects as well. Still has room for getting better though. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a really diffrent album than "The Reason" which will set their bar to a higher level. I liked "Don't Tell Me" for it's depth, "Moving Forward" and "Without A Fight" for their sound. As I said it's a nice album and hope they will make more like this and even better. If this alboum was stolen or destroyed I'd defenitely buy it again and again and again (ok, maybe not a third time, but I would buy it again if it got stolen). // 9

More Hoobastank reviews rating latest review
+ Fight Or Flight 8.2 12/07/2012