Forfeiture Review

8.7
 9.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Forfeiture Reviewed by: deadmanschest, on december 26, 2008

Sound: When I first heard the Forfeiture EP by Melbourne band House vs. Hurricane I was literally blown away. The EP was something completely different to my ears. The Forfeiture EP is a seven-song collection that shows just how diverse the HvH sound really is. Whether they're dabbling in mosh heavy breakdowns or ambient interludes in the vein of Misery Signals, the band demonstrates a musical maturity that perfectly compliments their youthful enthusiasm. Definitely check this out if your into amazing drums, an insane growl which is actually decipherable and sweet synth parts. // 8

Lyrics: Frontman Chris Dicker's lyrics are awesome. His scream is great and something different. Clean singing guitarist Ryans vocals are perfect for the songs and the layering between singing and screaming in some songs is brilliant. Some of my favourite lyrics on the EP are "You'd rather be loved for someone that you're not, Than hated for who you really are. Hopefully one day you find yourself," on Forfeiture, "Do we speak in tongues to taste something? Or is it to convince ourselves that we know more than we do?" off Comforting Our Thoughts In A Continuous Blue and "This world is in a sorry state when a snake can disguise itself as your friend. How were you to know this friend would kill you?" from the song Furious George. // 10

Overall Impression: 01.Introduction: the intro to the EP is a sweet keyboard/synth piece. Im not a big fan of intros and interludes but HvH can pull it off. 02.Forfeiture: the lead song of the EP is arguably the best. It explodes into the song with pounding drums, sweet growls and awesome guitars and synths. The clean singing in the middle of the song is sweet and melodic and the techno breakdown at the end is pure brilliance. 03.Comforting Our Thoughts In A Continuous Blue: the HvH boys dont let up on this EP continuing with this brilliant song. Though it may be short Comforting Our Thoughts is definintley a crowd favourite, delivering a series of hard hitting riffs that is offset by the song's melodious mid-section. 04.Seeing Things Through Water: a great song, the electronic flourishes giving the song an additional edge that is often lacking from something that is relatively straight forward, but apart from the intro and the interlude, Colour Space, this is my least preferred songs by the Melbourne boys. 05.Colour Space: the interlude on the EP. Like i said im not a fan of interludes and intros but this a pretty sweet and relaxing piece. 06.The Only Virtue: awesome song that is high energy, sees the group's discordant riffing pair up with another huge chorus. One of the best on the EP. 07.Furious George: another one of my favourites. The lyrics in this song are brilliant and probably the best example of Chris' great song writing. This song also had an awesome keyboard solo, this is a perfect song to round off a near perfect EP. If this is a taste of things to come then House Vs. Hurricane have a very bright future indeed. Do yourself a favour and see these guys pull it off live, theyre amazing. // 8

Comments