When Will We Surrender Review

7.7
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
When Will We Surrender Reviewed by: vppark2, on march 27, 2013

Sound: The debut album from melodic hardcore band Hundredth sets foot, and gives hardcore the name it deserves today. Vocally, it's a big change because we don't see many bands today have this much raw energy and emotion. You can hear his words echoing inside you, telling you what needs to be done. And what's great is that you know he has a positive message. As a Christian band, these guys know how to write songs and they clearly have a passion for that. Drumming, guitar, and bass fit well in the mix for this melodic hardcore band. // 9

Lyrics: Starting with "Catalysts": "When will we surrender. When will we strive for what is good and not for what man has created. When will we no longer trample the poor. Ignore the stomachs of the starving. Renew the hearts of the hopeless and the strength of the helpless. Those who can't stand on their own two feet." and "when will we look to the hurting Before we bandage our own wounds. We say we are martyrs, but we'd only die for ourselves. We gotta mend the wounds of the desperate. We have the power to change circumstance." This two stanzas really impressed me. Why do so many people in this world today only think for themselves? Granted, it is okay at times just to get by, but in some circumstances, like giving money to the poor, feeding them, or help the wounded would make a difference. Now lyrically in "Betrayers" I believe he is telling a story of some sort, but the rest of the songs on this album almost seemed like passages, and I thought each and every one was very well done. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, these guys have so much potential in the near future. I could just do track by track to bore you guys but I think this is the time for you guys to do yourselves a favor and listen yourself. As an avid listener of the genre, these guys definitely stick out as something unlike any other band. Comparisons go out to Stick To Your Guns, The Ghost Inside, August Burns Red, and Oh, Sleeper. Fantastic band, and I hope to hear much more stuff from them in the near future and hopefully get to see them in concert soon!

// 8

More Hundredth reviews rating latest review
+ Let Go 4.5 03/25/2013