Vol. I Review

hurt: Vol. I
Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
Label: Capitol
Genres: Alternative Metal
Vol. 1 suggests that Hurt could go many different places, if they choose to amp up either the artsiness or the heaviness.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.7
 9.4
 9.9
Vol. I Reviewed by: METSOAD, on november 29, 2006

Sound: At first you think they sound slighlty boring and dreey then you think they are not vert techincally minded because of thier lack of major guitar solos. But the true magic of this band is really when you find more of thier songs than just the epic single "Rapture". What you uncover is an amazing blend of mellow soft rock, some orchestral genius and some of the finest hard rock seen in many years. The drummer is a master of the kit, he dosen't show off as much as some drummers these days but you get a sense of endless security with him behind the kit. The bass player is quiet on this record but when you take the time to listen to some of the more intracat playing you notice he is a bass player that is more intresting than other bass players in similar bands. The guitarist do not show of in any particular format but seem to have the abillity to play beyond what you hear on this record. // 10

Lyrics: This is the real highlight of this album. From the difficult subject of killing a child in "Rapture" to a desperate man's last cry for help in "Falls Apart", every song appears to have deep, meaningful and thought provoking lyrics that can be sung along to as well as studied in greta depth. The singing is also very inmpressive. It uses a mix of mellow and quiet singing to massive screams that rival some death metal bands. A good example of this comes in "Overdose." // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a marvel, one of the ebst albums you will hear all year. The most impressive songs on record are "Rapture", "Falls Apart", "House Carpenter", "Cold Inside" and "Overdose". However there is not a single poor track on this record. I love it's mix of Metal and Emotion that is missibng in a lot of music these days. I would buy this album time and time again because Hurt are an amazing band that have an amazing future. // 10

Vol. I Reviewed by: toolfan_121, on august 28, 2006

Sound: Hurt's debut album definitely has a unique sound to it. The tones range from soft and melodic, to bone crushingly brutal. The singer's voice is really good. One of most interesting things about this record is the use of a violin on some songs. It adds a nice quality to the songs it's used on. The guitars don't show off a whole lot, but the riffs are great. There are even a few solos. I am not a drummer, but I noticed that the drumming was quite amazing. A lot of the record has a dark, slightly depressing sound to it, so the band's name seems rather appropiate. There are parts of the record that you can hear influences in their music, ranging from Tool to Metallica. Great sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are deep and meaningful. They are also rather dark. The name of the band is appropriate, because of the lyrics. They're full of angst, pain, and a truckload of other emotions. The singer, J. Loren, is now one of my favorite singers. He can go from a soft, eerie whisper to a beautiful singing voice to an angry scream, and sound great the whole time. The lyrics, and the way he sings them always fit the music perfectly. I think these are some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a really underrated album. It's not getting the attention it deserves. I love it. Some of the most impressive songs are "Rapture", which is the first single and is amazing. It's a great heavy song, and the song that convinced me to buy this. "Falls Apart" the second single and an equally amazing song. A softer, and more emotional song, it sounds great. The violin is used on this one too. I don't want to take time to talk about all the good songs, because, really, they're all good. There are a couple that get a little repetitive, but that's the only real problem with any of them. If I lost this album, I would go out and buy another one right away. If someone stole it, I'd hunt them down, and knock them out. I think this is one of my favorite albums in my collection. // 10

Vol. I Reviewed by: MillionPieces, on june 25, 2007

Sound: Through Flickers of many other band's sounds, Hurt has manifested it's own unique, dark sound. A modern rock band with a Old Victorian feel to it and a dark edge is almost unheard of! That could be one of the reasons Hust is so amazing. They're that different. With their moments of flamenco and others of screaming, this young band has created a very underrated masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics truly portray the agony of the singer, and blend perfectly with the intense passion in the music. Their harmonization slides perfectly into place, if it's more on the standard side or has a litte more edge in it like in "Cold Inside". This has the feel of a rock opera, but still mantains a different story in each of the deep songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Mainstream music is all the same, is overplayed, and is low quality. That is why Vol. 1 isn't mainstream. It is it's own type of music and deserves not to be seen as mainstream. This album is an amazing work of music and should be an instant classic the first time you hear it. As one of my good friends said, "The last song of any CD is a glorious showcase of the band's talent and power. It just leaves you wanting more and makes you wait in agony for their next CD. Now take that feeling times 11; cause this CD is all last songs." // 10

Vol. I Reviewed by: electric7, on march 07, 2008

Sound: I had heard about Hurt before actually seeing them play live (they were opening for Breaking Benjamin). My first impression of the band was that they were pretty good, but reminded me too much of a strange combination of Tool and Live. My friend and I both agreed that we would go check them out once we got back to my place. I downloaded both their albums, and started off by listening to Vol. I, which I listened to on the bus the next day. My first impression held up: a Tool-ish vein of origin (not that I'm saying that's bad), deep lyrics, etc. I recognized that three of the four songs they played were on this album: "Rapture", "Falls Apart", and "Danse Russe" (which was played with a 2-5 minute violin intro in the concert). This album didn't really drag me in like several other albums I constantly listen to, which was a bit disappointing. I still like it, but I pick and choose the songs I listen to now. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a constant style: pain, anguish, hurt, heartache, etc. The lyrics, in other words, are okay. I've heard a good portion of them before, but there were some that surprised me. Rapture has that start-stop vibe, and the lyrics surprisingly call God out. It also talks about love, which is something in the song I tend to ignore. "Danse Russe" starts off by reminding me of one of those MIDI songs that pop up on websites. Lead singer J. Loren Wince sounds like he's singing while holding his nose, but the song quickly picks up before it ends, which is a good sign. "Unkind" sounds like it was written about Jay Gatsby from "The Great Gatsby" (you'll get what I'm saying if you read it), and it's a pretty good song with a pretty good intro. // 7

Overall Impression: As previously mentioned, I picked up both albums (Vol. I and II), and truthfully, I listen to Vol. II a lot more. This album is just loud and angry for the sake of it, and several songs sound like they have the same guitar riff (since everything is in Drop D tuning), and they never really get interesting (execpt "Danse Russe", which has something orginal). Overall, I would recommend Vol. II more than this, but it's a good album overall. // 8

More Hurt reviews rating latest review
+ The Crux 8.9 06/08/2012