Vol. II Review

hurt: Vol. II
Release Date: Vol. II
Label: Capitol
Genres: Alternative Rock
Hurt goes on a sentimental journey for its latest thought-provoking release Vol. II.
Vol. II Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 01, 2007

Sound: For as many bands that love singing about women and beer, the polar opposite of that perspective exists in the music world. The Los Angeles quartet Hurt would represent the latter, and has proven it isn't afraid of using a choir (much like Pink Floyd's Brain Damage) or string section on it's latest release Vol. II. There is no lack of introspection or thought-provoking lyrics on it's latest CD, and for some the whole thing might get a bit too deep. The album does start out extremely strong in the opening track Summers Lost. There is minimal instrumentation at the beginning, with basically just a clean guitar, a simple beat, and vocals as the focus for the first few minutes. While other bands might just explode into your traditional metal song, Hurt takes it's time. When you might expect for the electric guitars to take over after the first minute, this band pare things back even a bit more, with one section featuring acoustic slide work. As simple as it seemingly is, this is the kind of atmosphere in which Hurt shines. About halfway through, the song does take a more metal route, with some very cool effects work and the introduction of frontman J. Loren Wince's grittier side. There are times when the song actually has a Tool feel to it, which is always a plus. In terms of pure metal, Summers Lost marks one of the most intense tracks on Vol. II, but there is a different kind of musical experimentation going on in the rest of the record. Alone With The Sea begins with what sounds like the moaning of a ship that's about to capsize. It's hard to say if that is a bass, guitar, or synth effect, and that's what makes it so fascinating. That moaning introduction has very little to do with the actual musical format of the song, but it does draw you in. Alone With The Sea is a ballad, but it has a dramatic, cinematic quality that separates it from being just a typical slow song. Guitarist Paul Spatola is either playing a banjo or an acoustic that sound like an acoustic as well, and it helps to break the typical ballad vibe. Much of the rest of the CD takes a more laid-back approach, and switches over to more of a Staind acoustic sound rather than Tool. There are a few songs like Ten Ton Brick that absolutely have rock appeal, but the majority of the other tracks are practically ready to be turned into an unplugged session. If you enjoy a little more distortion or double-bass pedal in your music, Hurt will leave you feeling unsatisfied. But that audience is obviously not who Hurt is geared toward, particularly with so many songs discussing personal emotions and lost love. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are likely inspired by personal relationships that have gone awry, and it's rare to hear a frontman lay out so many emotions in one album. Hurt even goes so far as to touch on the subject of domestic abuse, which you don't hear too many rock/metal bands sing about. In Abuse Of SID Wince sings, You know it won't stop; So you make an excuse to confuse the issue and later expresses that he's abusing you. Wince injects his own personal stance by proclaiming, I'll kill him, and the music builds at the same moment. It's impressive that Hurt chose to take on the topic of domestic abuse, and it's obvious there is a backstory there. There are more than a few songs that revolve completely around love in some way, shape, or form. Sure, millions of songs have been written by rock bands involving love, but for some reason it just feels more intense with Hurt. It's likely because the band isn't masquerading heartfelt lyrics with distorted guitars, and have decided to boldly use the ballad format for the sentimental lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Hurt doesn't take the easy route in any song on its latest album, and the choices made do make an impression on the listener. While some bands might choose 1 or 2 songs for their epic masterpiece, Hurt has about 5 or 6 to choose from. At times, the epic nature of it all can get exhausting and you end up wishing you could hear a few more rock-oriented tracks like Ten Ton Brick. Guitarist Paul Spatola hopefully will be getting more attention after the release of this record. What is impressive is the way he is able to execute some fantastically cool effects that are reminiscent of Tool's Adam Jones, and then in the next moment deliver a thoughtful, sedate acoustic solo that would make Jerry Cantrell proud. His riffs are sprinkled throughout Vol. II, and at times truly bring the record to a whole different level. // 8

Vol. II Reviewed by: eXperiment63, on october 05, 2007

Sound: The best way to describe the sound this album achieves is this: Imagine you are laying back relaxing on a beach listening to some really nice ambient music. Imagine that the music has you so lost in it's beauty that you are completely relaxed. Then out of curiosity, you open your eyes, and no longer is this a relaxing beach; now you have a tsunami headed towards you. This album goes from mellow, to straight out chaos on the drop of a dime. Then you close your eyes hoping it's dream, open them, and it's that nice relaxing beach again. The dynamics of the sound on this album are absolutely amazing. They use the mellow ambiance to make those tense, powerful, chaotic moments all that much stronger. This album isn't all ballads like some reviews are stating. Sure, it isn't your average metal or rock album, but since when has Hurt EVER boxed themselves into that? By my count, there is only one true "ballad" on the album, Assurance. While there are a handful of mellow songs, they all have some tense moments to distinguish themselves from the rest of the "ballad" pack. There is a mix of stringed instruments, a resonator, your normal rock band instruments, and some well placed backing vocals. The production and thought that went into this album is absolutely superb. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics. The heart of the beast known as Hurt. I don't like to box a band into a comparison with another. But just this once, I'll do it. The lyrical style is very similar to Tool. That is not saying they are stealing from Tool, or that they are unoriginal; because that thought is completely wrong. The reason I say that is, you don't hear very many bands with intriguingly deep and emotional lyrics. There is no set verse/chorus structure. J. Loren writes his songs as poems, very beautiful poems. Then the band creates the sounsdscape to go along with that poem. This album has some very poignant lyrics that show just what J. was thinking at the time of writing them. There is still a lot of metaphors here, but he doesn't hide everything. The chorus to "Talking To God" is a prime example of that. He hurtfully belts out, "How can you talk to God? How can you talk to God? How can you talk to God, when you won't talk to me?" The vocals on this album, just as with Vol. I, can be bone-chilling. J. Loren's voice sends shivers up and down my spine like no other vocalist out there. His pained, expressive singing voice is unmatched today. He goes from a soulful whisper, all the way up through a blood-curdling yell. He hits everything in between as well. One of my favorite songs on the album is "Better". A song that starts out mellow, and just gains in urgency and strength on through the end. The chorus really, really sticks with me; "Cause they say it gets better, before it gets worse. You know it gets better, so of course it gets worse. | Did it make you feel better, right before it got worse? I used to make you feel better, but now it just hurts..." Just an extremely pained and brutally honest retrospective song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the next step in the evolution of, IMO, one of the more important bands out there right now. Call it what you want. Whether that be soft-rock, adult-contemporary, art-rock, progressive, acoustic, ballad, hard-rock, alternative, it just doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that you be honest, and call it what it is; which is great music. If you want to listen to a few songs to see the complete range of what this album has to offer, I would suggest: Aftermath, Better, Loded, and Alone With The Sea. Those songs show you the range of the album, and the range of the musicianship and vocals as well. This album is the best album released since I was born 22 years ago. My father agrees on that with me. My father is 56 years old, and he hates most of my music. When I had him sit and listen to this album with me, he sat in shock and awe that there was a band out there making music so inspiring and beautiful. When the album closed, with "Thank You For Listening" and it's extremely guttural scream along with it's very good lead guitar work. All he could do is sit there with his jaw dropped open and say, "That is the best album I have heard since I was a kid." I don't care what type of music you generally listen to, I really don't. Just please, please give this band a chance; you will not be disappointed. // 10

More Hurt reviews rating latest review
+ The Crux 8.9 06/08/2012