Virus Review

8.2
 8.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Virus Reviewed by: JackovSlayer, on may 02, 2013

Sound: I was surprised when I noticed how little reviews of this great band has been written. So I decided to write a review on the album I think it's their best. Hypocrisy is a Melodic Death Metal band from Sweden. The leader of the band is guitarist/vocalist Peter Tagtgren. He is also well known producer and he produces every Hypocrisy album. He made an excellent job on this one. The album sounds great. Guitars, drums, vocals - all of this sounds excellent and is being played awesome. This is in my opinion the best Hypocrisy album because it's a perfect combination of fast and slow songs, being both brutal and melodic. After short intro, a song called "War-Path" starts devastating your ears with pure strenght and brutality. The album continues with kick-a-s tracks, "Scrutinized" and "Fearless", after which comes a song "Carving For Another Killing". Album sounds great to this point. But the next track, "Let The Knife Do The Talking", is one of the best songs on the album. It shows slower but still f--king great side of Hypocrisy. The songs which follow are all great tracks in which you can hear excellent melodic death metal. Of those tracks I'd like to specially mention "Blooddrenched" and "Compulsive Psychosis". The last song, Living To Die is very unusual song for this band, it has nothing to do with death metal. Musically and soundwise, almost excellent album. // 8

Lyrics: Hypocrisy are not very proud of their own lyrics, as far as I know, so I won't comment on it. And besides that, even if I would want to comment on lyrics, I still can't, because I don't know them. Peter's singing skills are very good. His singing covers a lot of styles. He can do the typical death metal growling, but he can also do some very good screaming vocals and almost everything in between. This kind of singing fits great with their music. Throughout the album, there's a lot of layered vocals where he sings different styles all at once. Sounds great. I think vocals are great, but the lyrics are probably not so I guess a 7 will be good rating. // 7

Overall Impression: After listening to this album, overall impression is - f--k yeah! A kick-a-s melodic death technical album with great music being played by great musicians, with a sound someone would probably kill for. I would say "War-Path", "Let The Knife Do The Talking", "Scrutinized" and "Compulsive Psychosis" are my favourite tracks, but others aren't much behind them. The only song I don't like is "Living To Die", but it's the last song on the album so it can't really spoil the overall impression. Which is, I will say it once again great.

// 9

More Hypocrisy reviews rating latest review
+ A Taste Of Extreme Divinity 9.3 10/29/2009