Between Two Worlds Review

8.3
 7.5
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Between Two Worlds Reviewed by: krvolok, on july 29, 2010

Sound: I is formed by members from several Norwegian black metal bands, Abbath an Armagedda form Immortal, T.C. King from Gorgoroth and Ice Dale(Arve Isdal) from Enslaved, so I expected a good black metal album, but what I found was a excellent heavy metal album. It is tough to put in words what I is, there are so many clear influences of various genres, thrash, black, heavy, hard rock, but it all forms well into I. The combination of Abbath on rhythm and Ice Dale on lead guitar is epic to say the least, Abbath is the master of riffs and this is shown extensively on Between Two Worlds and Ice Dale is no less skilled with the leads which is clear right on the first track "Storm I Ride". Armagedda's drumming fully complements I's unique blend of genres, he does not use blast beats or ultra fast double bass pedals but much simpler figures, fairly similar to the drummers of the big NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon and Diamond Head. 01. "The Storm I Ride": is a very typical NWOBHM song, I love the intro riff and the solo is great, excellent song. 02. "Warriors": has great rhythm and melody, my favorite and one of the best songs on the album. 03. "Between Two Worlds": Abbath plays around with supple melodies on this one, there are a couple of really 70s/80s riff on this one. 04. "Battalions": is a very fast thrash style song, here the vocals are much more like classic black metal shrieks. Good song. 05. "Mountains": is a another NWOBHM song, very boring when compared to the rest. 06. "Days of The North Winds": has both a NWOBHM and thrash/black feel to it, good song. 07. "Far Beyond The Quiet": is the best song on the album, it sounds great and the riff at 4.10 is a skull crucher. The lyrics are dedicated to Quorthon. 08. "Cursed We Are": is another fast, thrash styled song, not as interesting as the rest but still good. // 9

Lyrics: All lyrics are written by Demonaz, and those who are familiar to his work in Immortal know that his principal subjects are coldness, winter, ice, grimness and the lyrics on Between Two Worlds are no different. Abbath uses two vocal styles on this album, one is a softer half shriek half clean and the other is the classic harsh styles which he uses in Immortal. // 9

Overall Impression: Die hard black metal fans will not find to many black elements and they will dismiss I as a side-project, but if you keep your mind open will find a truly great album. But this albums is to short, Between Two Worlds lasts only 42 minutes and leaves you hungry for much, much more, were it around 50-60 minutes I'd give it a higher rate. // 7

Comments