Jaw Dropper Review

artist: i am abomination date: 09/07/2010 category: compact discs
i am abomination: Jaw Dropper
Released: 2008
Genre: Metal/Punk, Progressive Metal
I Am Abomination is a band like no other that I have heard. They are indeed a metal band.
 8.3
 5.6
review (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
Jaw Dropper Reviewed by: Chickenboot, on september 07, 2010

Sound: I Am Abomination is a band like no other that I have heard. They are indeed a metal band with music similar to The Devil Wears Prada's album With Roots Above And Branches Below or We Came As Romans' To Plant A Seed album, but they are one of the better ones in my opinion because there is no screaming present in their music. Jaw Dropper is full of mind-blowing guitar and good singing. Personally, I love heavy music and solos, but I also like punk rock. I was searching for the perfect fusion of punk and the heaviness of some other music. I had tried metal with no luck. I liked the clean singing, but I really don't like screaming that much. Then, a friend who is really into metal turned me on to a little known band from Michigan called I am Abomination. I was immediately impressed. I needed more, so I searched and found the rest of the music they had released. I came upon Jaw Dropper, a 7-song EP released by them. The music itself, save for the vocals, is metal, but the singing saves it. I find them to be one of my favorite bands now. Here's my impression and thoughts on each song on the album. 01. Prelude: A good opener to the CD. It's an instrumental with piano and strings. It fades very nicely into the first full-length track. 7/10 02. Heir To The Throne: A wicked song. Starting off with some incredible sweep-picking and some very heavy metal notes behind, it has a very nice rhythm that can get stuck in your head. The two guitars mesh very nicely in this song. There is a good distinction between them. My favorite track on the album. 10/10 03. Ornaments Are For Hanging: It starts off with a very nice keyboard intro similar to something found on a Prada album. The singing is a little off in this song, in my opinion. But the music makes up for it. The outro with the piano is the best part. His singing is more composed and sounds better. 7/10 04. The Next Great American Tragedy: One of the cooler songs on the EP. The keyboard intro is matched with guitar after it stops and it makes the music seem heavier and heavier as it goes on. The singing is the best in this song, in my opinion. He doesn't overdo it and he sounds very much like a 90's punk band. This also has one of the better solos. 8/10 05. Ex-Tinction: An excellent song. The combination of soft singing and heavy singing fits together very nicely. The distinction between the lead and rhythm guitars is very nice too. There is also a very impressive breakdown in this song. The gang vocals really fit the song, as does the keyboard right before the final chorus. 8/10 06. Music Gone Wild!: Starting this song off, it sounds like 1980's metal, but once those low C notes kick off, it turns back into a metal song. The keyboard comes back after the first chorus and in the first breakdown. It's not the best song on the album, but it is still quite good. 7/10 07. Roll the Credits: This is, unfortunately, the low point in the CD. I don't find it very good. It's too long and sounds like a mesh of all the other songs. The keyboard just kind of lingers in the verses and doesn't really add to the song. There is a very nice instrumental outro on this track though. 6/10 // 8

Lyrics: I find that the lyrics to be reminiscent of 90's punk rock. They are not about anything in particular, they just tell a story. The singer himself is quite good. He has a good vocal range for the music. Unfortunately, he does try notes that he cannot make in some songs, but those notes are short lived, and he returns to safer ones. His vocals fit the music very well. He's aggressive, like the music, but he can become composed when the music slows down. All in all, he is a good vocalist. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe that this album does compare to other metal albums such as Prada's With Roots Above and Branches Below album. I find it better. The lack of screaming makes it more accessible to other crowds. It can be listened to wherever because there is such a gap between screaming and singing. The most impressive parts of this album are the fast paces guitar riffs that are reminiscent of Metallica or Iron Maiden. They know just where to put them to fit perfectly into the songs. I really love that there is no screaming. Like I said before, I find that screaming ruins the music. There isn't much that I dislike about this album, other than there isn't many songs on it. I will be sure to purchase their next album when it comes out. I think I would probably buy it again if it were stolen or lost. It's right up my alley of music that I like. To conclude, whether you like screaming or not, if you like metal, you'll like this album. // 9

Comments