Malevolence Review

5.6
 5.2
 5.9
Malevolence Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2010

Sound: Probably one of the most brutal sounding records to take over metal in general this year. The production quality is outstanding. To kick it all off the guitar tones are just beautifully evil. The bass tones bring every song to a pulverizing powerhouse that makes this record so powerful. Last but never the least, the drums make all hell break loose with a crazy energy that will pump you up and make you throwdown. With many influences ranging from genres of Old and New school Death Metal and some Hardcore, this record makes a whole new meaning to the term Heavy. // 9

Lyrics: These lyrics are intense, literal, and impacting with a fist full of fire. The lyrics are really full of volatile misanthropy and feelings against politics and religion. The skills that this frontman brings is something that makes you feel the anger and hate pouring out like a raging lahar at the foot of the volcano itself. // 7

Overall Impression: Standing in the genre of deathcore this record stands out past bands like suicide silence and born of osiris because it seems like the standard deathcore record with over needed amounts of breakdowns. This record has a lot of death metal and tech death influenced melodies and leads. Songs that really impressed me were New Age Holocaust and Purification of the Population because of the intensity throughout the song, and the fact that there is not a lot of repitition. I would buy this CD if I had lost it because of how powerful this record sounds. // 8

Malevolence Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on april 25, 2011

Sound: Let's start this off by me saying one thing: I am a deathcore fan. I'm big on bands like Suicide Silence, Chelsea Grin and Whitechapel, and was expecting if not a unique listening experience, than at least a fun one from I Declare War. What I got was neither. I Declare War are one of the most bland, boring bands out there, not just in deathcore, but in ANY genre. The guitars sound muffled and are almost headache inducing, the drums are generic, the bass almost non-existent... It all adds up to a sludgy mix that truly doesn't sound like any of their contemporaries... Because it's much worse. // 2

Lyrics: When prompted to analyze the "singer's skills" on this album, I thought, "What skill?" He lacks any kind of range, and is almost more boring than the music (if that's even possible). He repeats the same vocal techniques over and over, making listening to this album almost completely intolerable by the time "Extermination Process" kicks in. Lyrically, again, (and not trying to be flat out mean) I Declare War flat-out suck. For an example of this, one needs not go any further than the first vocal song "New Age Holocaust". "The new world order is taking over the world in which we live/Trying to purify a master race/just like the Nazi's in the 1940's." While there is a message to be conveyed here, it comes off less like song lyrics and more like a propaganda handout. // 2

Overall Impression: For anyone that claims this band is "revolutionary" or "truly stand out in their genre" you really need to re-evaluate your stance. I Declare War are, in summation, everything that is wrong with deathcore (boring vocals, bad transitions, little distinction between songs) and none of the good (i.e. vocals with range, fast and technical playing, not being I Declare War). I was expecting quite a bit out of this album when I first bought it, and went in with a very open mind. The only good that came out in the end, however, was an exchange at my local music shop for a decent album. For fans of: nails on a chalkboard, The Acacia Strain, Whitechapel. // 3

More I Declare War reviews rating latest review