When Goodbye Means Forever Review

i killed the prom queen: When Goodbye Means Forever
Release Date: Mar 30, 2004
Label: Good Life
Genres: Rock
When Goodbye Means Forever is filled with abundant latent promise.
 8.2
 7.7
 8.7
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
When Goodbye Means Forever Reviewed by: Horvat, on november 28, 2005

Sound: Originating from the growing Australian hardcore scene, I Killed The Prom Queen have a unique sound that sets them apart from many other hardcore bands. Crushing guitar riffs, furious double-bass drumming, sweet melodies, and some awesome breakdowns are all thrown into the mix to form their latest full-length album, When Goodbye Means Forever. This album's sound is heavy, punky, and energized. Having grabbed most of their fame from numerous live shows, they know how to make energetic headbanging music, and this album shows that. Though it is largely a very solid album, a few tracks seem to lose direction mid-song, and wander off into obscurity, though that happens on only a few tracks. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics on this CD have their ups and downs. In some songs they are great, in some they aren't. Some of the good lyrics are catchy and will probably stick in your head for days, but overall the lyrics don't really have deep meaning to them. The vocalist otherwise has a good screaming voice, perfect for hardcore. It has a very full sound, not that kind of half-scream you hear from a lot of other bands. He does a little bit of actual singing, but mostly it is screaming or yelling. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, When Goodbye Means Forever is a good release from I Killed The Prom Queen. It certainly competes with the many of the other hardcore albums out today, and probably surpasses many of them. Even though it does have its share of faults, it is still a very firm album, with some excellent tracks like "My Best Wishes," "When Goodbye Means Forever" (title track) and "Death Certificate For A Beauty." If it was stolen, I might buy it again, but there are still a few bands I'd rather spend my money on before these guys. But if you're looking for some new hardcore, then try this CD, it's not perfect but it definitely is a good listen. // 8

More I Killed The Prom Queen reviews rating latest review