Astral Rejection Review

artist: i set my friends on fire date: 06/27/2011 category: compact discs
i set my friends on fire: Astral Rejection
Released: Jun 21, 2011
Genre: Experimental Rock, Post-Hardcore, Electronica, Mathcore, Experimental Metal
Label: Epitaph
This album has none of the traits that made the first album great in my eyes. The guitars are messy and chaotic, the drums are far from tight, and the electronic parts do little more than save your ears from the band's horrible organization.
 4.7
 3.3
 6.1
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
Astral Rejection Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on june 27, 2011

Sound: From the first glance at the cover of ISMFOF's new album, "Astral Rejection", you can tell the following experience could be one of two things: a wild, fun ride, or a jumbled, confusing mess. The album, unfortunately, takes the second path. ISMFOF started as a joke band between two friends, who made and recorded short, spastic metalcore songs set to comedy. The group achieved viral fame with the release of their cover of Soulja Boy's "Crank Dat". Their first album, "You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter", was an intriguing, eclectic listen, offering the best of post-hardcore, electronic music, metalcore,and pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. Back on topic, this album has none of the traits that made the first album great in my eyes. The music itself is sounds regurgitated. The guitars are messy and chaotic, the drums are far from tight, and the electronic parts do little more than save your ears from the band's horrible organization. In short, the music this time around is a HUGE step backwards. // 3

Lyrics: One of the things I originaly loved about ISMFOF was lyricist Matt Mehana's larger than average vocabulary, and delightful wordplay. Yes, the lyrics were jumbled at times on the first album, but they flowed well and added up to a theme. This time around, the vocab remains, but the structure and good writing has been tossed out. The chorus of the first single, "It Comes Naturally", has some of the absolute worst lyrics I've heard in ages. They are as follows: "Scratch you off my list I've been meaning too, just like an itch I was stoned to death when I took your last breath Just like a witch I'm bigger than you, and I'm way bigger than him too Get ready for the big debut Cumming is one of my favorite things to do." The entire album pretty much follows this horrible example, making for a groan worthy experience. As far as the vocals are concerned, the screams are about the only thing that's improved for this band. They're shrill, violent, and loud. The cleans are still auto-tuned (poorly) and get old by the second or third time you hear them. // 4

Overall Impression: I honestly bought this album hoping for another enjoyable experience like thier first album, but in the end, "Astral Rejection" is just a huge disappointment. Every good thing the band had, they've thrown out and redone... Horribly. By the time track four, "My Paralyzed Brother Taps His Foot To This Beat" came on, my hopes were completely gone. For me, there isn't a single redeeming quality about this album. The quality is actually summed up by one of the song titles on this record... Infinite Suck. For fans of: brokeNCYDE, early Attack Attack! , masochism. // 3

More I Set My Friends On Fire reviews rating latest review