Horror Show Review

iced earth: Horror Show
Released: Jun 26, 2001
Genre: Rock
Style: Power Metal
"Horror Show" is the sixth studio album from the American heavy metal band Iced Earth. It is a theme album based on classic monsters and horror-movie icons, including Dracula, Frankenstein, and the ghost from "Phantom of the Opera."
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.9
 8.8
Horror Show Reviewed by: evil_dead_2004, on march 12, 2004

Sound: This is amazing album with awesome sound production. From trashy to melodic passage, to soothing acoustic. This album has it all. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on most of the songs, but some of the lyrics like Jeyll and Hyde, and Frankenstein are a little chessy, the rest are just great. Jon Shaffer is one hell of a songwriter. This is by far vocalist Matthew Barlow's best preformance, and his voice fits in really good with the music. My favorite song is Phantom Opera Ghost. It is Iced Earth first attempt at a duet, and it's so amazing,it gave me chills. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favorite Iced Earth album, and I think it's their best one to date. The most stand-out tracks are Wolf, Damien, Dracula, Ghost of Freedom, and Phantom Opera Ghost, this is a must get album for all heavy metallers. If I were to lose it or have it stolen, I'd would definitely buy it again. This is Iced Earth at their very best. We'll miss you Barlow. // 10

Horror Show Reviewed by: Busproof, on november 03, 2008

Sound: Horrow Show is Iced Earth's six, and probably most powerful, performance. Containing strong elements of power metal with the intensity of thrash as well as horror movie inspired lyrics, it has plenty of variety, with many low E string thrash sessions as well as acoustic passages and some very impressive solo work. This is definately a hard hitting album in the Iced Earth discography. // 9

Lyrics: Since this is a concept album, many of the lyrics revolve around the general theme of classic horror movies, reviving such classic characters as Dracula and Wolfman in a metal context. Matt Barlow is an amazing vocalist, and this album is a prime example of his skills as a singer. He hits heavenly highs and carries a deep sense of emotion in his voice. In songs like Dracula and Jeckyl and Hyde, you can feel the sadness and fear in his voice, which to me, is a very rare trait for singers now adays. // 10

Overall Impression: The emotion and power carried in each song makes this album a masterpiece. Lyrically, it keeps you interested, and Barlow's voice, coupled with the riff work of Jon Schaffer, pulls you into the song and truly expresses the character's mindset and emotions. There something hear for everyone as well, heavy passages, and light passages, and don't be pushed away from checking out this album for fear of it being "just another power metal album", for it is quite the contrary. If stolen or lost, I would replace it in a heartbeat - this is definately an album I suggest everyone look into or purchasing. // 10

Horror Show Reviewed by: riseofmusic, on january 06, 2012

Sound: Iced Earth has a pretty unique sound. I'd probably describe them as a very thrashy power metal. They also have some elements of prog. This song being about horror requires a certain atmosphere to be created. In this particular album they do a good job giving a very sinister feel to the music. They do a very nice job knowing when to implement fast galloping riffs or a slow tempo doom metal sound. // 8

Lyrics: I really like the idea of this album. Every song is about a classic horror story from Frankenstein to wolfman. Some songs do a very good job at conveying there message whereas others are very mediocre. I'd have have to say that overall it's pretty well written with just a few songs particularly standing out. I really enjoy the way they overlay voices over different music tracks to give the impression another character is speaking. Matt Barlow being the singer that he is doesn't seem to have much trouble really bringing these tracks to life. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm pretty familiar with Iced Earth, and I'd say that out of the albums I know I feel that "Horror Show" isn't Iced Earth's most impressive album, but one of their better works. I feel that the song "Frankenstein" probably shines out as one of the best this time around, and this is especially so if you're familiar with Mary Shelly's original story. I also very much enjoy "Ghost Of Freedom" and if I had to choose would probably list in as my favorite. With that said, this album is a very good metal album oriented toward those who enjoy listening to the story told in each track. // 8

More Iced Earth reviews rating latest review