Night Of The Stormrider Review

9.5
 9.2
 9.8
Night Of The Stormrider Reviewed by: Metal Matt, on october 13, 2003

Sound: Looking for thrashy power metal? Look no further than Iced Earth. Looking for Iced Earth's best album? Look no further than Night of the Stormrider. This concept album is one of the best American metal masterpieces ever. Jon Schaffer establishes himself as one of the greatest rhythm guitarists ever on this album placing him among the ranks of James Hetfield and Tony Iommi. And thats what this whole album is all about, blistering rhythm guitar. This whole album consists of riff after riff of quick paced triplets and elaborate uses of melody. // 10

Lyrics: Night of the Stormrider is a concept album and for those of you who don't know that means every song is part of one big long story. Specifically this one tells the story of man who rejects his religion and is visited by a stormrider. He then becomes a stormrider himself and terrorizes people and that good stuff. The lyrics on this album are really really cool as far as the way things are phrased. The first time I heard, "We paint the sky with blood tonight/Setting free the damned to fight," and "Fight on!/Grab on!/Stormrider!/Stormrider!," I was floored. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my personal favorite album of Iced Earth's but it all comes down to preference when dealing with this band because they simply don't release bad albums. Some of the key songs on this album are Pure Evil, Angels Holocaust, Stormrider, and Path I Choose. This is a great album if you're trying to get into heavier music or just looking for the best power metal on the planet. Buy this album immediately. // 10

Night Of The Stormrider Reviewed by: wardance, on march 02, 2004

Sound: Styles: heavy metal, melodic and a little bombastic. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite great on this album but they are (as always) about horrortales and that kind of stuff. The lyrics fit in really great in the songs, the music seemes to adapt to the lyrics. John Greely sins realy well and his voice just belongs to this music. I like the lyrics a lot and also the subjects in these songs are good. // 10

Overall Impression: this is my favorite album of Iced Earth, because of its veeery good songs on the oher albums there usually is a bad song but not on this one, my favorites are Angels holocaust, Stormrider. Stormrider continues on Angels holocaust, that's what i like about it. the album sounds really great. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely go buy an other copy, cause this is a really great album!!! And all you people who love Heavy metal and like quality music, this is definitely worth buying! // 10

Night Of The Stormrider Reviewed by: icedmetalmaster, on december 02, 2004

Sound: I thing Iced Earth in general provides a very european metal sound that we still have yet to understand. They are all about overlaying guitar parts in relative melodys and harmonys providing a different and beautiful sound. // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were especially horrible in this episode of Iced Earth's music business. I mean, they take excellent music, and make the vocals sound like shit with this guy singing their lyrics. The vocals all have the same tone, switching notes every once in a blue moon. Sometimes, especially in Desert Storm, the vocals were not in key with the music. Utter failuer Shauffer, utter failure. I'm so glad they got Mattew Barlow in Burnt offerings. Now there is a good album. // 4

Overall Impression: As I said before, their sound is unmatched, because all this nu metal is starting to get redundent. After listening to 3 Nickelback, 2 Socialburn, and 5 Godsmack songs, I needed my Iced Earth Cd's back. I feel a sort of anti religous releif when listen to them. // 10

Night Of The Stormrider Reviewed by: HeyStoopid, on september 05, 2005

Sound: Iced Earth's first true masterpiece. This album sounds awesome! The layering of the guitars and all is near perfect, the drums come though very very nicely. The whole album is very punchy and in your face. They sound very remaniscant of Iron Maiden with some of Pantera and Slayer thrown in. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics themselves are masterful, telling the story of a man who questions and rejects religion, and him becoming an evil person, then finally his accepting his fate in hell. For the most part, they fit the music perfectly, agressive and violent when the music is, then softer on the few short acoustic tracks (Before The Vision, Reaching The End). The only bad thing I have to say about the album is that the singer, James Greeley, is not too great at actual singing, however, his growling and screaming is masterful, reaching the greatness of Rob Halford and surpasses Phil Anslemo for growling. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of Iced Earths greatest albums ever! Songs are: 01. Angel's Holocost - opening with an assault of kettle drums, overdriven guitar and a vocal chorus, you know it will be an epic album. Greeley, really shines here, his screams are right on, and the only thing I thought were missing from the version with matt barlow (another IE singer). 02. Stormrider - continues from AH starting mellow, then going into typical IE thrash. Not my favorite on the album, but great riffs and decent singing. 03. Before The Vision - a nice little acoustic thing, that sounds very mideval, leading into. 04. Mystical End - awesome intro, hate the vocals though, the song isnt as thrashy as most on here, but it still rocks and has a nice groove to it. 05. Desert Rain - one of the tree great epics on this album, starts off acoustic, with the tension building untill the distorted guitars come in, which launch into a pummeling riff, the vocals are pretty good, but the chorus is soooo much better with Barlow singing. Also, John Schaffer sings some of the verses. 06. Pure Evil - one of the many high points of the album, depicting a huge battle between good and evil, words cant really describe it, but when the guitars cut down, and the double bass comes in and he sings "We paint the skys with blood tonight..." It is almost orgasmic, also a nice little soft section, followed by some amazing screams! 07. Reaching The End - an atmospheric acoustic track, with very echo-ey vocals, and actuall good singing that isnt harsh in any way, but mainly leads into the final, concluding epic of the album. 08. Travel In Styngian - awesome vocals that remind me of Judas Priest's Painkiller, not even Barlow could do these and make it the same. But it quiets down after a few miniutes to a nice acoustic section with vocals that sound so bad and cheesy, that it gives me chills. However, it gives way to an awesome chorus section made utterly sinister by the synths in the background. After some thrashy sections, that chourus part "Travel in styngian, the dead call my name" comes back. The song ends with a haunting piano line that just has to be heard. Thus concludes the epic, if it got lost, I'd go out and get it again, definately a classic slab of metal! // 10

Night Of The Stormrider Reviewed by: satanichrist, on august 23, 2006

Sound: First off this band is amazing before I bought the CD I'd only heard one song from them and that was Angls Holocaust. It was the one song that made me want to buy the cd.Their sound is really crunchy on the rythm but yet very clear. The lead sound is very harmonized and their are also a lot of synths during the solos they blend together almost perfectly. Most of the solos include lots of legato, tapping, and sweeping, and that's what makes it so great. And all the acoustic stuff is awesome I thought I'd heard all the evil aoustic parts but they make it so interestingly different. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are slightly distorted and dubbed with clearer singing you can understand what their saying my first impression was holy shit that's pretty damn cool I'd never heard anything like it before mosat of the other stuff is all screaming and growling from most other bands like Iced Earth. On the acoustic side the singing is very clear and hs voice almost harmonizes with the guitar. I think Tim Owens can do almost anything as far as vcals go. He's one of the most versatile singers out there. As far as the lyrics on the tape it's like a story because most of the tracks run together the whole CD is about the journey of the stormrider. // 9

Overall Impression: I doesnt't compare to most albums in the progressive metal category except for maybe Symphony X or Blind Guardian. The songs that stuck out most for me were Angels Holocaust, The Stormrider, Desert Rain, And Travel In Stygian. I like that the vocals are a bit raspy but you can still understand them, and the crunch and harmonization of the guitar is incredible. If it were stolen or lost I would have to buy a new one. // 9

Night Of The Stormrider Reviewed by: Conqueror, on august 18, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is spectacular, from the galloping distorted guitars to the powerful soaring vocals. Angel's Holocaust starts off with some choir vocals and a heavy rhythm guitar, and right here you know it's going to be a great album. The beautiful melodies, the mesmerizing and sometimes haunting clean parts, and the crushing thrash riffs and blazing solos weave perfectly throughout this album. It will grab you and won't let go until the very end with the melodic piano outro in Travel in Stygian. // 10

Lyrics: When you're dealing with concept albums, there's usually great lyrics that tell a story, and with NotS this proves true. The story is of a man and his feelings of betrayal and hatred, and how he turns those feelings to revenge, with a little help from the dark forces. The descriptions of visions, battles, and evil taking form to bring about the end of the world make it seem somewhat real, probably from the style of the music always fitting the mood of the lyrics, but the words wouldn't mean as much without the powerful vocals to bring them to life. John Greely's vocals throughout this album go from high to low and he does a very good job. The high pitched singing in Travel in Stygian brings out the pain in the words, and his low, clean singing is very fitting as well. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the greatest metal albums ever, and one of my favorites. With songs like Angel's Holocaust, Stormrider, The Path I Choose, Desert Rain, Pure Evil, and Travel in Stygian it's not hard to see why this album is so great. I love the speed and heaviness on this album, and at the same time the clean passages too. There's nothing on this CD that I hate, at all. If it were stolen/lost/damaged I would definately buy a new one ASAP. // 10

Night Of The Stormrider Reviewed by: XxhorrorshowxX, on july 04, 2008

Sound: Iced Earth returns with the 1992 release "Night of the Stormrider". Not only did they have a new storyline about a man betrayed by religion (early story of Set Abominae possibly), but a new vocalist and drummer. I believe this is one of Jon Schaffer's finest ideas because the "Something Wicked" story. When I first listened to the CD, when I started to really get into Iced Earth, I first thought it was trashy, but my mind was cluttered with music I thought was amazing when it was really clich when someone compares it to the average metal head. Now when I listen to it, I am blown away by the anger and dark gallops of the guitar and the whaling solos. I believe that this was one of the CD's that Iced Earth is proud of as it has a lot of their most successful songs on the album. Prepare for the Stormrider to guide you through the fires of his eternal damnation. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were very dark, like the first album. Jon Schaffer usually likes to write about fantasy, horror, destiny, sin, pretty much end of the world type of shit, and Night of the Stormrider was no different. I personally thought it was awesome as it tells the story of man betrayed by religion and he turns away from it in anger. He travels through a desert where he eventually becomes "The Stormrider". After the destruction of Earth, he is summoned to the depths of hell and soon realizes what he has done is wrong but it is too late to repent. Very interesting concept, I wish that I had a creative mind like Jon Schaffer. 01. Angel's Holocaust - this where the angels and the man's religion betrays him. This is also the first of few songs that has a Gregorian chant in the song. I personally like the Alive In Athens version the most. 02. Stormrider - probably the most powerful song on the album itself. It talks about the man becoming the Stormrider. This is where Jon shows his creative side with lyrics the most on the album and besides the first few stanza's of the song, he sings most of it. It is one of Iced Earth's most famous songs, and def one of my top 10 from the band. 03. The Path I Choose - the title is pretty self-explanatory, it talks about the path the man chooses when becoming the Stormrider. I think the opening stanza's of the songs are probably the best in my opinion. 04. Before The Vision - this is more of an acoustic passage then anything. I can't really figure out the point of view but I think it's in third. The speaker tells the Stormrider to go to the desert and he will find the answers that he is looking for. One of Schaffer's shorter pieces for a song. 05. Mystical End - this is the one song that I think was John Greely stood out the most on the album. I think this was the one song that was undermined by a lot of people. I think it should have been put on the Days Of Purgatory album but oh well. The song talks about the Stormrider traveling through a village in the desert causing destruction when night falls. Definitely kick ass! 06. Desert Rain - this has to be my second or third favorite on the album. This continues the Stormrider traveling through the desert while it is raining, and it causes him to rise. Just read the lyrics in the chorus, that is what is says. 07. Pure Evil - I have to say that Matt Barlow is impressive when he sings the song live, especially on the Alive In Athens CD. The song is about the Stormrider conquering his native land and bringing and end to the storm (which is a war) which also brings and end to his revenge 08. Reaching The End - again, the title is pretty self-explanatory. It talks about the end of the Stormrider's journey and how he realizes that what he has done was wrong. 09. Travel In Stygian - besides Stormrider, I think it is the best song on the album. I especially love the piano ending. It's so damn catchy. The song talks about the Stormrider traveling through Stygian, which could maybe consider the River Styx, or Hell. He now must suffer for eternity in Hell for what he has done. John Greely I believe was better than Gene Adam as a vocalist. In 1992, he fit the bill for Iced Earth, I mean I know a guy who thought the whole CD sucked just because he couldn't stand Greely's voice, but I think it's pretty good. He did a good job on Desert Rain, Pure Evil, and especially Mystical End. Although I did not like the fact that in Angel's Holocaust when he sings Only time will tell my true destiny, he was saying it more than singing, I thought he could put more emotion into it, but other than that, I was fine with John being the vocalist on Night Of The Stormrider. // 9

Overall Impression: Well besides comparing it to Iced Earth's first album, I don't think I could compare to any other albums. As I said before, maybe a 1992 version of Set Abominae maybe but it's pretty original to me. I love the fact that it was a lot different from the album, I like the lyrics and the words Schaffer uses like hypocrisy and mystical. I don't think I hate anything about the album at all really. I'm just glad the remastered version artwork is a lot better than the originals, I even have my "Night Of The Stormrider" shirt on right now. I had the CD and I do intend on buying it again because my friend who lost/stole the first Iced Earth CD took this one as well. The only other thing I would get would be Iced Earth's new album, but it's not out yet. Until next time, "Fear The Angel's Holocaust." // 9

More Iced Earth reviews rating latest review