The Crucible Of Man: Something Wicked Part 2 Review

iced earth: The Crucible Of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
Released: Sep 8, 2008
Genre: Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: SPV GmbH
The Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2 is the title of the tenth studio album by American heavy metal band Iced Earth.
 8.1
 9.4
 6.7
The Crucible Of Man: Something Wicked Part 2 Reviewed by: Lohnanmilitia, on september 17, 2008

Sound: Holy shit! That was my first reaction when I had just completed the first run through of this album, with the addition of a little aching in my neck from headbanging to much. I thought that Framing Armageddon was really good, hell I think all of their stuff is good, but this album really does f--king kill from start to finish. The production on this record is better then Framing Armageddons. The guitars remain crisp, while still delivering a barage of different tones and still delivering that tremendous wall of distortion. The drumming is top notch, as Brent Smedley being back is truly sweet. He is a very talented drummer, and remains powerful throughout complimenting the other instruments very well. This album is the conclusion of the something wicked saga that Jon Shaffer has crafted over the years, beginning with the Something Wicked Trilogy on Something Wicked This Way Comes. // 10

Lyrics: Welcome back matt barlow! There is truly something magical about the Shaffer/Barlow combination. They bring out the best in each others performances. The lyrics are the typical Iced Earth fashion, and the lyrics compliment the story. I'm just going to assume that everyone reading this actually knows a little bit about this band, so I wont describe the story as it would take a little while, but the lyrics compliment the story. Barlows voice is not completely as powerful as it once was, but that comes to every artist with age. Even with that, you can't tell. His voice is still more powerful then many of his peers. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately one of the best Iced Earth albums to date. I saw the first return show with matt barlow, and you could tell something magical was happening on that stage that night. it was no surprise really when this album was released that it was this good, especially after hearing the first single, I walk alone. Among the strongest on this album are, harbinger of Fate, Divide Devour, Come What May, Something Wicked part 3, I walk alone, and the Iced Earth type balladesque A Gift Or A Curse. This CD hasn't left my car since I bought it. If someone stole it, I would rip apart their limbs and sell them to get money back to pay for a new copy. I can't wait until they come back to Chicago. One of the best bands hands down, and guess what, they aren't done. More incredible stuff will come from this band! If you can, I highly recommend you see them. // 10

The Crucible Of Man: Something Wicked Part 2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2008

Sound: Framing Armageddon left off with Set's birth, and so The Crucible Of Man follows Set though his life from a baby to the full monstrous Anti-hero we can see on many of the Iced Earth albums. The story eventually leads to Set giving mankind a warning. Telling them they can become a great race and die in the flames of war. The sound of The Crucible of Man Something Wicked Part 2 is a almost carbon copy of Framing Armageddon Something Wicked Part 1. This is fine with me, it give the albums a similarity's they need sense they are going off the same concept. Iced Earth is finally using a full choir in The Crucible Of Man This can be heard on song such as "In Scared Flames" and "Harbinger Of Fate". This is offten gives song an epic feel to thing as Jon backs them up tight guitar. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. The give tell story quite will and chorus have an up-lifting feel to it. Jon (who writes almost all of the song for Iced Earth) never usually uses swears in his music. There's a few past songs that do have them. (Burnt Offering is probably them most recognized) Matt Barlow is back, but because the lyrics were made for Tim Owens he does not reach up is old standards, songs like Minions of the Watch prove this. But he does a fine job. // 8

Overall Impression: The Crucible of Man is a wonderful album with little wrong with it for me. It is powerful and shows a great story. The albums is a worthley choice for all power metal fans, and show great innovations with us of it choir. 01. In Sacred Flames: this is the opening track for the album. It has the choir singing in Latin to a guitar. It slowly swells it is a powerfully moving piece of music. Changing from a clean guitar to a distorted guitar. 02. Behold the Wicked Child: opening with the riff used In Sacred Flames and a slide on bass, come in Matt Barlow. The song is not the best on the album but it does at first give a little smile hearing that Matt is back. The female singer used in Framing Armageddon is heard in the song. 03. Minions of the Watch: this song is made for Tim Owens. When Match starts to sing is a Ozzy like voice this much is obvious, but Matt performs well. The song itself is good. Holding power palm muted riffs Iced Earth is famous. 04. The Revealing: is connected wonderfully with Minions of the Watch, again it hold talents of Iced Earth and brings again more scream like Vocals from Matt. The song is again good with a good chorus. 05. A Gift are a Curse: this balled like song you can hear both Matt and Jon singing together. Combined with a fretless bass given by Denis Hayes the song has a Ghost of Freedom opening. 06. Crown of the Fallen: the song could have been one of my favorites of the album and is greatly, But is far to short being only 2 mins and 47secs 07. The Dimension Gauntlet: a song the has a lead off from Crown of the Fallen. It has a male choir singers swelling in "Oh's" and "Ah's" and Jon giving a Speech of what Set will do. The song has a very powerful riff and a solo that reminds me heavily of Egypt. 08. I Walk Alone: the single for the album this show Matt talents more then the other songs. It is the most different from all the other songs to. It doesn't have a Framing feel but has it own style not used in the other songs. It has a addicting chorus and I often find myself singing (badly) to it. 09. Harbinger of Fate: is my favorite on the album. It slowly opens with a clean twangy like guitar and slowly builds up into a wonderfully composed song. It uses the choir again and that again gives the song a great epic ending. 10. Crucify The King: this track sounds as if it was intended to go to Tim Owens. The song is good none the less. It is as powerful as any Iced Earth song. 11. Sacrificial Kingdoms: opens with a fast paced guitar riffed and Jon and Matt again singing as one. It is a great song with some of the best riffs on the album. The chorus again sound good, and has great back up singers. 12. Something Wicked Part 3: is one the best songs on the album. Riffs are heavy and tight. The chorus is very much like Ten thousand Strong lyric wise. And You can hear certain lyrics borrowed from the song 'The Coming Curse' and even uses the riff used in 'The Coming Curse'. 13. Divide Devour: hold the heaviest and the fastest riff used in the album. It show Matt vocals that sound heavily like "Jack." The chorus is addicting and the song is very well thought out. Again using the choir the song is again a great song. 14. Come What May: it's the most epic song on Crucible, it show Matt vocals off wonderfully and show Iced Earth true colors, as one of the best Power/Thrash metal bands out there, it's addicting moving making it a great song to end the album. 15. Epilogue: sounds like the first track on Framing. It gives and ending to album and is sounds very well composed. Using both guitar and classic instruments. // 9

More Iced Earth reviews rating latest review