Wolves Review

idiot pilot: Wolves
Released: Oct 2, 2007
Genre: Alternative Rock, Electronica
Label: Reprise Records
Wolves is the second full length release by Washington duo Idiot Pilot. The third track, "Retina and the Sky" was also featured on the soundtrack of Michael Bay's film Transformers.
 4.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Wolves Reviewed by: myoiden_ramre, on december 05, 2008

Sound: The album opens with "Last Chance", and on first listen sounds a lot like the Idiot Pilot fans are used to. You've got the same swirling pads, strange tickings, subtle synth riffs and nonsensical lyrics that were featured on their last album "Strange We Should Meet Here". Then, all of a sudden - in the heat of the chorus you realize something. Idiot Pilot has a drummer. Chris Pennie, ex-Dillinger Escape Plan and recent Coheed and Cambria drummer contributed himself and his skills to the project which makes for a much more hard-hitting and exhilerating ride. The violent breakdowns and hard-hitting chorus' have much more backbone with the addition of a physical drum-kit, but old-time fans do not fear, the kit only enhances the sound, it is in no form at the expense of the electronic sound you adore. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, from Strange We Should Meet Here have morphed from the purely conceptual into a look inside the mind of Daniel Harris, vocalist and one half of the duo that is Idiot Pilot. Harris states: "It's a lot more personal, and a lot of the songs are about me and my experiences in life. It's sort of a therapy session, but not in an overbearing, cheesy way. It's much more personal, and the music is darker. But it's also more uplifting. It's the oddest thing. The overall mood is much darker, much more heart-wrenching and personal. But at the same time, I think it will be a source of relief for people to hear what we have to say." To the listener, this really does come across and is packaged with vocal performances that you can't get anywhere else. The lyrics are more literal and potent from previous efforts, which allows for a more entrenched listening experience. // 8

Overall Impression: For what started as two friends with pirated music software and an idea to make music, where Idiot Pilot have gone with "Wolves" is nothing short of remarkable. "Retina And The Sky" was featured in Michael Bay's "Transformers" and hopefully for the band this could lead to some more much-deserved exposure. The result of "Wolves" is a violent yet beautiful musical experience. Listening to Wolves is like being shot in the face repeatedly with catchy melodies. And god it feels good. // 10

More Idiot Pilot reviews rating latest review