Above The Earth, Below The Sky Review

9.3
 9.8
review (1) 16 comments vote for this album:
Above The Earth, Below The Sky Reviewed by: TheLetheProject, on may 25, 2010

Sound: If These Trees Could Talk fuse post-rock with a little bit of hard rock to form a beautiful frenzy of emotional, bad-a**, guitar-driven music. While the music isn't totally innovative, it refines everything you could hope out of a typical post-rock and adds a nice amount of origianl flare. To compare them to another band, I'd say they sound like Red Sparowes with some Isis and alternative-esque stuff thrown into the mix. Unlike many post-rock bands *cough GY!BE cough*, there is very little filler; the album keeps your attention throughout its entire course. Similar to other post-rock albums, the tracks run together, giving the album a connected feel. To conclude, the band sounds great and creates stunning music. // 10

Lyrics: The music is vocal-less, so I can't give this category an accurate score. However, the instrumentation is so powerful, I think adding vocals would take away from the music. Singing would just remove some of the soul-encompassing atmosphere. Since the lack of lyrics work so well, I give this category an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to their self-titled EP, Above the Earth, Below the Sky is on par. If These Trees Could Talk measures up to post-rock giants like Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, perhaps even surpassing them. There is not a single weak song on the album. The strongest song in my opinion is by far "From Roots to Needles", but other awesome songs include "What's in the Ground Belongs to You", "Below the Sky", and "The Sun Is in the North". I absolutely love this album; the only minor qualm I have is that the songs in the beginning overshadow the later tracks. It's hardly significant, though, because it's still entirely awesome. If this album were lost or stolen, I'd go to cdbaby.com right away and buy another copy. I highly recommend Above the Earth, Below the Sky to any one who likes post-rock or rock in general. // 10

Comments