The Idiot Review

9.3
 1.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The Idiot Reviewed by: swave75, on july 12, 2011

Sound: Released in 1977, this is Iggy's first solo album without The Stooges. Instead he has help from his buddy, David Bowie. This album is a departure from anything else Iggy released before or since. Drum machines, the saxophone, and keyboards are used quite a bit in this CD. // 9

Lyrics: Iggy Pop writes some really good songs on this album. He had been through hell and back at least a few times before it was made and after too. "China Girl" is about Iggy meeting Kuelan Nguygen, spouse of French actor Jacques Higelin, and confessing his love for her. But it wasn't meant to be. "Dum Dum Boys" is a tribute or rip on his former band mates, The Stooges. "Funtime" is a gothic rocker about running around with David Bowie. They lived like vampires while recording this. I am thinking "Tiny Girls" is about young girls and his dealings with them. Great saxophone playing on this one. Musically, it sounds nothing like any of his other releases. A total departure from his Stooges punk/rock days. Iggy shows he can sing and has a nice baritone voice on some of the songs here. // 9

Overall Impression: I would say it compares well with Bowie's "Low" album though I like "The Idiot" better. This album shows how good of a songwriter Iggy Pop could be. The most impressive songs to me are "China Girl" (which I like better than Bowie's remake) "Tiny Girls", "Funtime", and "Dum Dum Boys". My least favorite is "Sister Midnight" which is just boring to me. I wished that Iggy or Bowie would remaster this. It is a great stepping stone for both of them. And an underrated classic. If it were lost or stolen I buy it back sooner than later. // 10

More Iggy Pop reviews rating latest review