Revolution Revolucion Review

8.7
 9.7
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Revolution Revolucion Reviewed by: nasty_santa409, on february 07, 2004

Sound: If the world of Nu-Metal was compared to food, than Ill Nino would without a doubt be the hot sauce. I got this CD after hearing "God Save Us" and it was just awesome. after hearing the rest of the album I was addicted. their sound is a latino version of Slipknot or Soulfly. Christian Machado's transition from smooth vocals to off the hook screaming is amazing. also with latin drums and a little classical acoustic guitar thrown in, you have one of the most original sounds in the world. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics blew me away as well. they alternate between english and spanish. (Lucky me, I'm of Mexican heritage. I can understand what he's saying. Most of the songs are about how they hate their ex-girlfriends, but there are plenty more where that came from. With you is a straight out acoustic love song, but I was disappointed when there was no spanish lyrics in it. It is with a latin rhythm, so I thought it could use spanish lyrics. but in the end it's just plain awesome. // 8

Overall Impression: I got the super special edition of this album, so it had 5 more tracks than the original album: fallen (Unreleased), Eye for an eye (Live soulfly cover), God Save Us (Live), and the spanish versions of What comes around and Unreal. It also has the videos to Unreal and What comes around. I like "Rip Out Your Eyes," "If You Still Hate Me," "God Save Us," and "What comes around" the best, but the whole album is great. If you need an entirely original album to satisfy yourself, get this album. If you don't, get it anyway. you won't be sorry. // 10

Revolution Revolucion Reviewed by: amunspawn, on november 19, 2003

Sound: Nothing could have prepared me for this album. It combines impressively heavy riffs and very very impressive and aggressive roars that put corey tailor to shame with very melodic latin guitar and singing. The drums are very fast and absolutely rock. There are your normal drum kit sounds as well as tribal hand drums going at the same time. The first song on the album, "god save us" is a great example of this. It starts off proper headbanging heavy with great lyrics and then goes effortlessly into a great rythm guitar and melodic singing. Other songs on the album include some really groovy effects and mixes. People often put nu-metal down but dont pass judgement on Ill nino until you've heard it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics often switch to spanish so I ain't got a clue what he says in spanish. I actually copied the album off one of my mates so I dont have all the lyrics therefore I'm not sure what the vocalist Cristian Machado says during the heavier roaring parts but I'm sure its all good. Based on what I can understand the lyrics are about said Cristian opening his heart and saying whats on his mind. He is a very talented singer and the switch of his voice from melodic to brutal is fantastic. // 8

Overall Impression: It can be compared with bands such as soulfly (incidentally there is a live cover of eye for an eye as a bonus track at the end of the album). Their use of tribal drums for instance. However they still have a highly unique and innovative style that sets Ill Nino apart from other bands. I would definitely recommend this album as it is a must have part of anyones collection. // 10

Revolution Revolucion Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on december 16, 2003

Sound: Ill Nino's first album is an impressive combination of heavy, distorted guitar riffs and melodic vocals. Imagine Spineshank, but with a more latino influence. The way that the drums are used is also quite unique. It's nu-metal, I'd be lying if i claimed it wasn't, but it's actually not too bad. There are some really good riffs on here, and although some of it is a bit crap, there's a lot that you can listen to and even enjoy. // 8

Lyrics: For me, this is where Ill Nino fall down. The lyrics are awful. The rhyming sounds so forced and random at times that it's hard not to cringe. However, this isn't too much of a problem, because you usually can't hear them. The vocals are great, and the transition between roars and singing is equally as good. Unfortunately, because of the poor quality of the lyrics, though, I can't give this anything more than average. It's nu-metal, what d'ya expect? // 6

Overall Impression: Despite this concern, this album is quite good, particularly for when you're in an aggressive mood. The riffs are punishing and loud, and the screams accompany them so well. I like this album, and would recommend it to anyone who likes any of the Roadrunner Records stuff (i.e. Murderdolls, Spineshank, etc). It's surprisingly good once you get into it. // 8

Revolution Revolucion Reviewed by: Pooter76, on june 24, 2005

Sound: What do you get when you mix Dave Chavarri's drum beats, Marc Rizzo's guitar riffs, and Christian Machado's lyrics? A kick ass album. Revolution is a mix between heavy riffs and spanish style acoustic riffs, with an add of tribal drum beats and melodic vocals. Ill Nino creates a great sound and really sets their own sound. The change in Christian's screaming to singing is a really cool effect, but it gets annoying in a few songs. For example, the last song on the CD, "With You" sets a laid back, acoustic beat, then Christian's deep vocals come in and you can really feel the song until his voice gets high pitched. It seems to ruin the already set mood. But in pretty much every other song, it fits in. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very heart felt and have a good flow to them. The screaming is clear so you can understand what Christian is saying. My favorite song, "What Comes Around" has the best lyrics in my opinion. The song has a great flow with the words and it really gets the listener into it and understanding what Christian is saying. I like how he uses a rap-like flow in his songs. It fit in well with the tribal drum beats. // 10

Overall Impression: It all depends on what your into. If you like more screaming and less singing, this album is for you. If you like more singing, I'd say get "Confession." The best songs in my opinion are "God Save Us," "Unreal," "Rumba," "What Comes Around," "Revolution Revolucion," "I Am Loco," "Predisposed," "With You" and "If You Still Hate Me." This CD is definitely worth buying. I would listen to it first on iTunes or something just to see if your into it, and if you like this, youll probably like "Confession" too. // 8

More Ill Nino reviews rating latest review