The Flood Review

8.2
 9.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Flood Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 04, 2005

Sound: "The Flood," out September 2005 on Imprint Records, is a debut album by Atlanta based alternative band Illbreak. The guys are presenting haunting heavy rock in ten tracks, filled with strong guitar riffs, created by guitarist Josh Huff and tight rhythm section. The first couple of tracks give you some groove, but it flows away as songs become repeating. There two stellar songs on "The Flood" -- "Carry The Light" and "Flesh And Bone," that show something really different and are full of live and energy. "Flesh And Bone" has a moving rhythm, driven by guitar riff. Breezy "Safe" is a pretty good ballad to close the album with bluesy guitar that sounds goofy on the album. Apart from that, songs are much alike -- some melody line in the versus and soulful howling in the choruses. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics are dark and either too hard to just put all lines together and figure out some sense or are revealing us some awful truth, like "Everything is everything to loose" or "One day I guess we're leaving anyhow." There's one gem in the lyrics though -- "And I can't help but wonder/When you come around/Did you take the brain God gave you/And bury it in the ground" ahahaha... Must have been the cheesiest rhythm and lyrics I've ever heard. But Gareth Asher sings all that so heartful, that you almost believe his suffering. His vocals are strong, but need some variety. // 6

Overall Impression: Always starts with a CD sleeve. This CD cover is something inenarrable with cliche images, that are supposedly scary and horrifying -- a child and explosion. God, when are they gonna figure out other images to scary me? Or not... When are they gonna make a new horror movie to give cheap CD sleeve (and website) designers some new ideas of popular horror? Like their lyrics, the whole band's record isn't something new and generally seems like something you've heard somewhere before, though very well put together. There's nothing obviously horrible on "The Flood," but seems that Illbreak needs some courage to make their own sound and not use old proved cliche. I give them credit for their debut album, hoping the next record would have more stellar tracks. // 8

Comments