Pure Holocaust Review

immortal: Pure Holocaust
Released: Nov 1, 1993
Genre: Black Metal
Label: Osmose
Pure Holocaust is the second album by Norwegian black metal band Immortal. It is generally faster sounding than its predecessor Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism. The lyrics focus mainly on ice, snow, and fantasy landscapes.
 7.7
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Pure Holocaust Reviewed by: bigREDgrin, on march 13, 2009

Sound: I am somewhat biased when it comes to this CD so I will try to harsh as possible. The sound of Immortal as well as most of Black metal is bad production, keeping in mind that if you listen to black metal in the first place you'll love this record. But if you can't deal with poor production then stay away in general from Immortal. This was the first Black Metal CD I got. I think this was recorded in Oslo in 1993 and is said by many the breakthrough Album for Immortal. The drums are alright, not for everyone though. Considering all of the prior material Abbath has pretty big chops to do Bass, Vocals, and drums and is a credit to ingenuity. Demonaz plays some of the fast riffs I have heard in Black Metal, it's sad knowing now that he probably wont play again. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics are outstanding mainly because, they are not the usual lyrics in Black Metal. So by doing some straying from the fray they made themselves stand out. Not to mention they created their own mythology; If's that not metal then what is. Lot's of people might not like the Vocals but are standard for the genre and having said that, are fair. // 9

Overall Impression: Even though I love that rough, gritty style of Immortal it is definitely not for many and for that their rating will suffer but knowing that you should look past the face value of things. Best songs got to be "The Sun No Longer Rises", and the epic "Pure Holocaust". I love the idea of the Icy, Cold, Mountain and forest's that infest the lyrics of Immortal and I feel help gain the title of "King's Of Norway". // 8

More Immortal reviews rating latest review
+ At The Heart Of Winter 8.7 10/05/2010