Baptized In Filth Review

impending doom: Baptized In Filth
Released: Mar 13, 2012
Genre: Deathcore
Label: E1 Music
"Baptized In Filth" is a fourth studio album by American deathcore band Impending Doom. While not breaking any new ground Impending Doom does improve on their sound with this album.
 8.1
 7.3
 8.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Baptized In Filth Reviewed by: justinb904, on march 21, 2012

Sound: I was a little skeptical before listening to "Baptized In Filth" as I didn't care for Impending Doom's previous album "There Will Be Violence". Right off the bat though I found myself enjoying the first song "Murderer" and the rest of the songs that followed. While not breaking any new ground Impending Doom does improve on their sound with this album. The vocals are more varied and in my opinion sound much better overall. For the guitars there are still plenty of heavy chugging but also a noticeable increase of more technical and interesting riffs. The biggest deviation from their sound comes on the second to last song "My Light Unseen" which features the vocals of Demon Hunter's Ryan Clark. While still heavy and dark "My Light Unseen" provides a nice break with more melodic instrumentation and clean vocals. From a production standpoint "Baptized In Filth" sounds better than its predecessors. This album seems to have been mixed and mastered very well as there is a clarity often lacking in heavy music. Even when the band is going full throttle I can still discern between all the instruments (even bass). The drums sound crisp, the guitars don't sound muddy and the vocals sit just right with everything else. // 7

Lyrics: The vocals and lyrics are certainly a strong point of this album. This is a band that is openly Christian and it is evident (though not to the point of being overly preachy) if you pay attention to the the words. Lyrical themes are apocalyptic, concerning the Antichrist and the wickedness of man. There are lots of interesting and memorable lines throughout the album though some of my favorites come from the songs "Deceiver" ("Dead bodies stacked 10 feet tall/Now the devils at your funeral") and "Death Ascension Resurrection" ("Demon possessed, praise the dead/Walking beside him like darkness is your closest friend"). // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a solid album from Impending Doom. It doesn't feel too long at just under 35 minutes and I don't get bored and want to switch to something different half way through as I often do with similar bands. I'm satisfied with the album and do feel it was worth the $12 I payed. // 7

More Impending Doom reviews rating latest review