Death Will Reign Review

impending doom: Death Will Reign
Released: Nov 5, 2013
Genre: Deathcore
Label: E1 Entertainment
This album definitely sets the band up for more possibilities in terms of songwriting and playing in future releases.
 6.3
 7.3
 5.2
review (1) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
Death Will Reign Reviewed by: robbie-rocks, on november 13, 2013

Sound: If you're familiar with Impending Doom then you'll be happy (or unhappy) to know that their new release "Death Will Reign" takes a lot of elements from their previous releases which makes for nice tasty slice of DOOM. The album produced and mixed by Will Putney (Thy Art Is Murder) which more or less guarantees that the album is going to be heavy as an actual lump of metal; the mix of the album is dirty and gritty, really raw which in this day and age is what we need in metal, for the perfect example in this we recommend checking out the song "Beyond the Grave." Everything from the tone of the guitars, pulsing bass, pounding drums and even the screamed vocals... it's all filthy, the album is just interesting to listen to and definitely recommended (though maybe not essential listening). // 7

Lyrics: Regarding the lyrics, I felt that they were well written and feel that any listener can easily relate. On top of that there are some really good lines I feel stand out, of course in the style of singing it's hard to hear so you'll have to listen carefully or take my word for it - the album title track "Death Will Reign" features the line "I've seen the devils eyes / A messenger in disguise" which to me can leave the song open to interpretation, it's like they say about books... Once people have read it, the author is dead; the reader decides what it means and what to take from it, I feel this strongly applies with this song and the album and to top it off, the vocals sit nicely in the mix. // 8

Overall Impression: I feel that this album can only be compared to Impending Doom's previous work, most notably their first record purely because of how raw the mix is, a good representation of this is the title track as well as "Rip, Tear & Burn," "My Own Maker" and the closing "The Great Divine." And if I've not said it enough, you can probably gather that I love the album's production, just the way it's done compliments every single song and perfectly shows what the band are capable of. There's nothing to hate on the album really, you know what you're getting and this definitely sets the band up for more possibilities in terms of songwriting and playing in future releases. If it was lost/stolen, eventually I'd come round to buying it again. Enjoy! // 7

More Impending Doom reviews rating latest review