Blood Review

6.3
 5.9
 6.7
Blood Reviewed by: gnurph, on august 23, 2012

Sound: I wasn't all that impressed. It sounds like they're trying to incorporate dubstep into their sound. I gave it a 3 - only because of Maria's voice and "Scarlet" was pretty good. I'm still a fan of the band, but this will be the album I pull out once every 2 years or less. // 3

Lyrics: Well, I was too distracted by their pseudo-dubstep to pay much attention. I caught myself singing songs by other artists while listening to the album, that's how unimpressed I was. Although, credit where credit is due: Maria's vocals are good as always. She put in a solid performance that I was unfortunately not able to follow due to the (and sorry that I'm repeating myself so much) dubstep. // 5

Overall Impression: This is destined to be either the album that killed their career, or the album they try to distance themselves from. I really like "Scarlet", the intro ("Rise With Me") is kinda cool and "Adrenelize" is alright, although a bit too much like just about everything else they play on Octane (XM radio). // 4

Blood Reviewed by: megaslaythrax, on january 15, 2014

Sound: Before I begin my review, I will put a disclaimer. This is the first In This Moment album I have ever listened to. I am not yet familiar with their other albums, so this review will be based on ITM's performance on this album itself and not on where this stands in relation to their other releases.

With that said, where to begin?

I found Blood to be an enjoyable album. In This Moment flirts with the borders of pop and metal, experimenting with lots of electronic elements (something some metalheads will find unforgiveable). Maria Brink-- who can almost be seen as the Lady Gaga of metal - croons for one minute, then bursts out into furious screams the next. She is the focal point of the album; the instrumentalists are talented but don't dare to push their skills to stand out. // 8

Lyrics: As mentioned before, Maria Brink is the highlight of the album. Though her voice isn't by any means the best voice in metal, it is a perfect match for the music. However, the lack of imagination in the lyrics is disappointing. It seems like most of the songs revolve around the cliche of sex and relationships. What Brink lacks in lyrical diversity she makes up for in raw energy and emotion; the song "You're Gonna Listen" is one of particularly strong example; her screaming of "shut up" well over 45 times is brimming with ferocity that just pumps the blood. // 7

Overall Impression: As a guy who usually listens to thrash and power metal, I was pleasantly surprised by this album. The songs are solid through and through. I'd recommend that the band try to improve their writing to showcase their instrumentalists a bit more so that the band remains In This Moment and not Maria Brink and the Other Guys. There is a very strong pop influence; this is a double-edged sword as it will bring in new fans who are just experimenting with metal but possibly drive off some of the "kvlt" metalheads. This one of 2013's better albums and I look forward to listening to ITM's previous material as well as seeing where they go in the future. // 8

More In This Moment reviews rating latest review