Mortal Throne Of Nazarene Review

8.7
 9.4
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Mortal Throne Of Nazarene Reviewed by: sevenchurches, on september 14, 2007

Sound: Therefore I shall review one of my favourite death metal albums of all time. Released in 1994, Incantation's 2nd album was one which proved them as true Lords of mid-paced death metal. The album has an almost indescribably evil sound to it. I can remember first listening to the opening notes of "Demonic Incarnate" and almost creaming myself due to the immensity-factor. I gathered that the reason the guitar tone is so crappy is because they're played with very little gain, to create an almost tinny sound that compliments the "bin-lid" sounding drums. It's crappy but a good kind of crappy. Craig Pillard has a voice to rival Chris Barnes himself. When he growls it sounds like a man pushing open a cave door. When caves ever had doors, I don't know, but if they did. The theme behind this album is simply anti-christianism, betrayed by songs like "Emaciated Holy Figure" and "Iconoclasm of Catholicism". Incantation never have been the subtlest of bands. The insert booklet is quite funny though, they thank an elderly couple who let them stay over in their house when they were touring. Mental images galore. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are decent. Although they're all about anti-christiandom, I enjoyed them a bit more than, let's say, Deicide lyrics. Incantation have a more poetic, almost black-metalish aproach to their lyrics. I don't think there's any profanities (if there is you wont understand them anyway) but there's a few references to orgies lmao, which is all good. The vocals suit the music and the evil atmosphere they succeeded in creating. Sometimes though the incomprehensible grumblings of a grown man begin to annoy one's ears. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall opinion of this album is a positive one. As I said before it's one of my favourite brutal death release ever, so obviously I rate it highly. This album (weirdly enough) for me sounds like a cross between Darkthrone's "Under A Funeral Moon" and maybe "Mental Funeral" by Autopsy. More so Autopsy than Darkthrone, but it has the texture of both those albums imo. My favourite songs from the album are "The Ibex Moon", "Demonic Incarnate" and "Essence Ablaze". I strongly recommend them to anyone who loves his/her incomprehensible death metal you can just get stoned to. The album cost me 14 squids in HMV and at the time I was taking a risk because I hadn't heard anything by them before! Risks, you have to take them if you wantgood things to happen. If it was stolen I wouldn't be shocked because the people of my area are the biggest scum-shits ever. One of the things I love about the album is the production. It's not the cleanest production ever (in fact it's way, way down the list) but it gives it that atmosphere that so many black metal band stry to achieve and fail miserably. There's a few things which annoy me tad, like the repetitiveness of some songs, but it's old school brutal death! What can you expect? // 9

Comments