A Crow Left Of The Murder Review

incubus: A Crow Left Of The Murder
Released: Feb 3, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rap-Rock, Rap-Metal, Alternative Metal, Funk Metal, Heavy Metal
It's a highly anticipated album from Incubus, one of the most creative artists in music right now.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 8.9
 9.2
 8.6
A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: morningview4, on february 04, 2004

Sound: Incubus has always been on my list of favorites because of their unique sound, namely that of their older albums. "Fungus Amongus" especially seems to be almost jazz inspired with its bass lines. When Ben Kenney replaced Dirk Lance in 2003 as bassist in 2003, the band took a giant leap of risk. Kenney exhibits neither the same pure love for making music nor the true talent Lance posseses. I predict Kenney will improve with maturity and experience. The second backbone of the instrumentals of Incubus, Jose Pasillas (drums), certainly does not lose his touch, executing his job as a drummer in a way I can only describe as magical. Mike Einzinger, guitarist, flies through the album with many strengths. Not as many effects are used as in previous albums, especially "Make Yourself", which makes the album more attractive to listeners like me. I prefer distorted guitar without all of the almost robotic sounds. The guitar is the only part of the album that has remained constant throughout the band's existence. A weakness in the album that existed in "Morning View", but moreso in "Make Yourself" lies in the fact that the band sounds as though they are trying to produce crowd pleasers, therefore going against everything Brandon Boyd preaches in his lyrics. The hipocracy warps the listener's perception of the entire album. Other than a few seemingly repeated patterns and chord progressions, "A Crow Left of the Murder" reflects all of the positive aspects one can expect from a fifth LP. However, I fear a few releases on the pop charts. // 8

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd delivers, my friends. It is evident that our favorite long-haired skinny white boy singer/songwriter has become even more pissed at political and social facades, those lyrics being companions to a few implied "personal issues". Brandon Boyd has always had a melodic voice that would make any girl swoon. I was surprised to hear a few higher notes in the mix. And when I say high, I mean I have trouble reaching them as a female alto. I'm still not sure how I feel about the falsetto... Incubus has kept its reputation of having slightly screwed up, possibly drug induced (cough cough) lyrics, but in a charming way. The appearance of love songs gave me that warm, fuzzy feeling inside, handing me an appropriate break from the "that damn media" type lyrics in which Boyd prides himself. Everything flows very decently, every song telling a story. "Here in My Room" shows a brilliant marriage between music and word, soothing the listener and calming his nerves. This type of compatability is shown throughout the CD. // 10

Overall Impression: "A Crow Left of the Murder" is certainly not my favorite of the 'Fab 5'. (Hehe. Get it? because they have 5 albums? and...yeah.) However, its refreshing to have something harder than "Morning View" but not as loud as "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." When people ask me to pick a favorite song from an album, I can never give them a straight answer. Some songs I like for the lyrics. My favorite lyrics from "A Crow Left of the Murder" come from "Agoraphobia", "Sick Sad Little World", and "Smile Lines". Some I love for the music, such as "Talk Shows on Mute", "Leach", and "Priceless". Some I love for a mix of the two, "Here in My Room" and (call me a teenie bopper, but) "Megalomaniac". (I'm actually very disappointed that they released THIS as their single since it is one of the best on the album. It sort of ruined the surprise.) I can't tell you what to choose as the most impressive. That's up to you. If someone stole my copy of the album, first I would get their name, gather my posse, find them, grab the first heavy object in sight, and throw it at them. Then I would get my CD back. If this was absolutely not possible, I would definately go buy another. Two for insurance. Go Get The Damn Album! I wrote this review for a reason... // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: Misc Debris, on february 14, 2005

Sound: After hearing some bad mouthing of this album going down, I thought I'd give you all my opinion on A Crow Left of the Murder. ACLOTM is the best album of 2004. Hands down. It's some of the only fresh music out there. I don't konw how to describe it besides, wow. It doesn't fit into any genre, but has relations to progressive (which is almost dead) and alternative. Every member of the band are great at what they do. Mike is just incredible. And despite what others may say, Ben Kenney does any excellent job. In fact I think he's the reason the album sounds as fresh as it does. They couldn't pull off the traditional Incubus sound without Dirk, so they invented a new one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Very dark and mysterious. Brandon Boyd. The name speaks for itself. No complaints about his voice whatsoever. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is truly an original. Every song is great. I simply love everything about this record. It's packed full of catchy riffs and songs that you seem to always sing along too. If I lost this album I would defiantly buy another. If I lost that one, I'd buy two more. I guess this album isn't really for the diehard Incubus fan, but for the diehard music fan. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: lilmonkeyman134, on april 26, 2004

Sound: My first impression of this cd was definately good. In fact I didnt listen to the whole cd until yesterday(ive had the cd for 2 months) It's because I was too busy listening to Megalomaniac and I never was interested in listening to any other song but that. But Incubus has a very unique sound to them since they use so many effects. It is hard to compare this cd to any others since this one is so different. // 10

Lyrics: I think everyone knows that most of these lyrics make no sense what so ever. For example: Talk Show on Mute: ...the electric sheep are dreaming. What are electric sheep? And do sheep even dream? Well anyways its a good thing they are able to make such good songs out of these lyrics. I still give it a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: Great cd! Incubus is my favorite band and this cd definitely will prove why. If you have some extar cash and are looking for a cd I strongly suggest you buy Incubus, A Crow Left of the Murder... // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: place_name_here, on january 13, 2005

Sound: After hearing the "Megalomaniac" single, I thought I'd have to get my hands on a copy of this. I think the sound on this album is different from SCIENCE and not in a good way. Most of the songs (such as "Priceless," "Zee Deveel" and "Talk Show On Mute" were bland, boring and weird. But it wasn't all bad, "Megalomaniac" was an amazing track as were "Souther Girl" and the title track (some others were "OK" as well). // 4

Lyrics: I found that Brandon Boyd's vocals were a lot weaker in this album than on previous ones. The lyrics were also strange and creepy. Sometimes it felt like the same song as the last, and they'd just get Brandon to hum or whisper (I didn't understand that). So this wasn't the best lyrically, thats for sure. // 4

Overall Impression: This album was nothing compared to SCIENCE but it did have its moments. I think that the most impressive thing about the album was actually the backing vocals, I know it sounds weird but its true. I hated the fact that sometimes Brandon would just stop singing and start making annoying sounds. // 4

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: jonesmethod, on january 27, 2004

Sound: "A Crow Left Of The Murder." The highly anticipated album from Incubus, one of the most creative artists in music right now. The album starts off with the single "Megalomaniac," which will mislead listeners to the overall sound and tone of the album. The lead-off single is by far the heaviest track, and one of few tracks that actually uses full-blown disortion. "Murder" is more fuelled by quick, intense melodies, rather than the hard rock sound, which are the roots of Incubus. This is by far their most mellow record. But that's not to say it's bad. It's acutally very impressive, and once again, the band has succeeded to progress musically in the right direction. Very few effects are used on the guitar on this record, it's more a fat clean sound, with some light distortion blended in. Their are also some killer solos by Mr. Einziger in select songs, something not found in previous Incubus material. DJ Kilmore cranks out more electronic sounds, rather than the traditional scratching heard on previous Incubus records. A lot of people are wondering what the album will sound like without ex-bassist Dirk Lance. Well Ben Kenney has picked up where he left off, although the bass lines are less spicy on this record. That's not to doubt Kenney's ability. Both he, and Lance are phenomenal bassists. Jose Passilas is once again solid behind the drums, and perhaps the most consistent musician in the band. Mike had said before that their new album was more explorative and like their older stuff. Like their older stuff. No. It doesn't have the jazzy and all-over-the-place sound like "Fungus Amongus," or the raw rock sound of "SCIENCE." More explorative. Yes. This record has a sound unlike any other Incubus record, and is really something new for fans. // 8

Lyrics: Great abs. Great voice. Who else could I be talking about but Brandon Boyd. Bottom line is his vocal performance on this record is amazing. He truly is once of the best singers on the music scene right now. He also has the ability to write radically poetic lyrics. Although soemtimes strange, they are ingenious. His lyrics have matured over the years, and the trend continues. His lyrics just fit the music on this record, too. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to compare ACLOTM to other Incubus albums because it is so different. It's definately good, but difficult to say whether it is their best. I like the fact that once again Incubus have progressed as musicians, and are really going in the right direction. I don't like how the record is too mellow, and is missing that hard rock sound which is the soul of the band. After several spins of the album, it kind of starts to blend into one long melodic odyssey. Good or bad? You decide. It's very worth buying and will be interesting to hear what fans have to think of "A Crow Left Of The Murder." // 8

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2004

Sound: Incubus once again came up with great beats. "A Crow Left Of The Murder" fills in the true Incubus' style. Following album after "Morning View" brings out totally new guitar that I never heard in anyone else's playing. Music in general sounds like a blast! Sound is so pure and unpredictable. All you need, is a good stereo system in your car. Put this CD in and drive wherever your eyes want to, because you won't get bored. Every song brings new taste, new rhythm, and new mood. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd, being the man he is always had a true skill in standing out in modern's rock lyrics writing. Nevertheless, on this album you really feel he came out as a totally new man. His lyrics are very deep, maybe too deep in some parts, but you figure out the meaning for sure. His lyrics go for everyone, anyone could relate and definately feel the same. Surprisingly this album was done in less than 2 months. With this talented sound, his lyrics sound very fresh and really fit in to the music. If you liked older incubus, then these lyrics are for you. You won't find sappy feelings, they are surely expressed in a different, new way. // 8

Overall Impression: Incubus made a great album. Personally, I think its one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, because Incubus always stood out and always did it their way. This sound is really different from everything else in industry now. They again sat down, relaxed and easily recorded. A great thing is this band really doing all this for fans, because as on "Morning View", ACLOTM had a limited edition CD with great DVD bonus stuff which gets you to feel like you're part of the band. This album is good for everything, going to party, been sad, feeling down or falling in love. Its great that these bands still around and Im sure if they keep on making this music, they will never be forgotten. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2004

Sound: Incubus always seems to change their sound. From the odd Funk/Rock of Fungus Amoungus and all the previous, to the pure genius fluency of SCIENCE to the up and down Make Yourself to the mellowed out Morning View. Every album different and great. Crow is such a awesome album. It seems to have traces of SCIENCE with songs like Priceless and Zee Deveel and hints of Make Yourself with songs like Pistola and Morning View with songs like Southern Girl and Here in My Room. Overall this album is neverending and flows very nicely. Its definitely the most well thought out sound Incubus has had. Though it may not appeal to the Fungus Amoungus fans or the mainstream Morning View fans but for all the fans in between its nearly guaranteed you will absolutely love it. One sensual song after another. Although it seems as if Megalomaniac was just thrown in for the mainstream appeal or to pull in some new fans. Probably the weakest song on the CD. That is saying a lot since its one of the best inspirational catchy songs on the radio. Its a definite must have if you love pure musical sound. // 10

Lyrics: Boyd with his typical self shows his poetic skills along with the rest of Incubus bunch, although the lyrics seemed a little more random then the previous albums. Megalomaniac is the typical mainstream lyrics, but the difference is they actually have value in them. In addtion, Sick Sad Little World just pulls you in for 6 mins of bliss. The combination of Boyds voice and words are brilliant. Overall nothing has changed. Incubus still has dark yet appropriate lyrics. The best thing is you read them and its only the natural reaction to think about "Why didn't I come up with that?" // 8

Overall Impression: Any Incubus fan will not be disappointed. I dont understand how some are not impressed by this album. The only difference is the Rock without the Funk. If you want funk then this probably isn't your album. Go back and listen to some Funkadelic or the uneducated Fungus Amoungus. This album is brilliant in the fact that the guitars and bass flow so naturally with the lyrics and voice. It's not as mellow as Morning View, its not as quick and edgy as SCIENCE, but its by far the best album since 2000 even beating out in my opinion De-Loused In The Comatorium - By the Mars Volta. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 15, 2004

Sound: I never really liked Incubus until they released Make Yourself and even then I didn't really like them all that well. Then Morning View was released and I started to like them more and I know have more of an appreciation for Make Yourself. I waited and waited for their new album, but when I first heard Megalomaniac, I didn't like it and I didn't know if I would like the new cd. There was an interview with Mike Einzinger in a guitar magazine and he said ACLOTM would be different that Morning View and Make Yourself, so that along with Megalomaniac had me a little skeptical. But when I got the cd, I was pleasently suprised with how good it is. Alot of my friends have heard that album and didn't like it. But after listening to it a few times, it starts to grow on you. They may have strayed from their last two albums, but this is still a great album. Guitar work is good, the new bassist seems to mesh well. Einzinger let loose on a couple of tracks, knocking out some solos which is kind of rare compared to Morning View. But a welcome change. // 10

Lyrics: I've always thought Brandon wrote good lyrics and he didn't disappoint here, he rarely does though. The lyrics reflects on a different range of topics, which is good. The lyrics meshed really well with the music, the emotions of the lyrics fit well with the music. Brandon is one of the best singers/songwriters in the music industry today, which is a big reason Incubus is as big as they are. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion the four best songs are the first four tracks, Megalomaniac, A Crow Left Of The Murder, Agoraphobia and Talk Shows On Mute. Don't get me wrong all the songs are good, but those four are the best of them all. Other standouts are Sick Sad Little World, Pistola and Made For TV Movie. Southern Girl is a pretty mellow song. Here In My Room is actually a pretty haunting song in my opinion. The music is what really reflects that emotion to me more than anything. The only song I don't really like is Priceless. Overall this is another great album by a great band, although I don't see it doing well as far as sales, do to it not being like the last two releases; but depending on what songs they release as singles, it could really take off. I would definitely make Agoraphobia and Talk Shows On Mute as singles, but that's just my opinion. Alot of people have only heard Make Yourself and Morning View and ACLOTM is different from those albums. But I highly recommend it to anyone, at first it's hard to get used to, but after a few listens you get used to it, I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2004

Sound: The new Incubus album is one that will either blow you away or make you hate the band for good. For those Incubus fans that joined on in the 'Morning View' era should be prepared for a shock. A Crow Left of the Murder see's the band returning to their roots and Faith No More influenced alt rock. If you haven't heard S.C.I.E.N.C.E then this album will completely new to you. If you've been listening to Incubus for the whole 13 years like me this will be a welcome return to form. It is also nice to see that they have lost none of their musicainship thanks to a line-up change. The new bass player Ben fits in perfectly complementing Mike in everyway. // 8

Lyrics: I personally think Brandon boyd is one of the best singer/songwriters at the mo. This album is no exception with diverse lyrics ranging from isolation (agoraphobia) to love (Southern girl, In my room). It should be noted that the ballards on this album are exceptional, with In My Room being the best song on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the best Incubus album so far. It used to be Make Yourself but now this one is stuck in my CD player for good. The lyrics are excellent and are typically witey and sharp as you would expect. The music is strong, bold and catchy but still maintains the sense of being a bit eccentric. But the one reason to buy this album is because of Mike Einziger. In past album he has stuck to simple, catchy riffs but has gone haywire on 'Crow'. A highlight is the 3 minutes solo on 'Sick, Sad little world'. If this album was stolen I would definitely buy it again. Not just because I am an Incubus purist and need a complete collection but because every alt rocker needs it. Buy it. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: Haver, on april 07, 2004

Sound: The Californian rockers have once again divulged in some genre-hoping delivering a mellow, deep and meaningful sound full to the brim with meaty riffage. The tracks pleasingly diverse in style and execution- from the mellow, piano-based "Here in my room" to the crunchy, rocky single "Megalomaniac"- the tracks never failt to please. Incubus fans will not be dissapointed, as the band's innovative style is smeared on to ACLOTM like the icing on the cake. New bassist Ben Kenney adds a certain flava to the record, turning up the funk-meter and complementing Mike Einziger's gnarly riffage. Brandon Boyd hurls out the vocals with his usual meaning and gusto, Chris Kilmore provides the wacky cherry on the cake with his samples and special effects- and Jose Pasillas sows up the whole thing and keeps everyone in line. If there was ever a definition of pure musical delight, you have it right here. // 10

Lyrics: Since 2001's "Morning View" Boyd is obviously a tad down, after his merry words in the aforementioned mellow record- and he has his angry hat on. Taking the music deeper, Boyd's inspirational words intertwine with the band's musical talents and wield the power to move you. Packed with emotion, Boyd's poetry will suck you in and make you think. And that isn't a bad thing, by a long shot. // 8

Overall Impression: This is Incubus. The lads are on the top of their game, and ACLOTM lives up to their fabulous track record, which spans a decade. Within the album are thirteen juicy jamborees of musical exploration will capture your mind. It's a must have record for any music fan, delving deeper and pushing boundaries as it goes. An experience of a lifetime. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: nasty_santa409, on april 19, 2004

Sound: Incubus has a great sound. They play nice and melodic music that goes heavy sometimes. Normally I listen to metal and punk, but this is a great sound all around that reminds me of Hoobastank and, a little bit of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Also I didn't even notice then change between Beware! Criminal and Sick Sad Little World. That was pretty cool. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this band actually mean something. They range from political, (Megalomaniac, Pistola)to love songs, (Southern Girl, Here In My Room) and Isolating yourself from the world. (Agoraphobia, Sick Sad Little World) It's good to see that some artists are actually working hard on their lyrics and not just using "Darkness" and "Falling" and "Wounds that won't heal" and that sort of stuff. These guys should be a lyrical influence for everyone. And The singer's voice fits these lyrics and the mood of the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first album by Incubus that I bought, so if any of their other albums are like this, I'm sold. My favorite songs are Megalomaniac, Pistola, Beware! Criminal, Priceless, Smile Lines, Leech, and Talk Show On Mute. I absolutely love this album and nothing's wrong with it. This album is definetly worth your money. Well, what are you waiting for? Buy it, NOW! // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: drew-182, on june 01, 2004

Sound: The sound on this record is great, the guitaring is up to scracth which uis no surprise as I love there guirist, the riffs are new, weird and very refreshing which go to show how much different incubus are from any other band, the new bass player as well is amazing and this album is perfect for his first with them. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically this album is very good, not amazing as I have heard better lyrics from brandon on there previos albums, in my opinion morning views lyrics are alot better, but they are still as good as ever just not as amazing as morning view. Still this wont distract you afrom the amzing music they have put together on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a another giant step from there previos albums, this is not a bad thing at all, it shows that after all these albums they are still growing as a band and can make beautiful music, this album is ny far alot more heavier than morning view, and a maybe even make yourself too, but I will say to anyone who loves incubus knows how different they can be with there albums, and this no exeption. // 8

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is just as great as all the others. It's amazing how you can hear the gradual change from album to album. I love how they can go from something so energetic (Ex. "Pistola",) To a number as soft and loveable as "Southern Girl", and "Here in my Room". The idea to base a song on piano was just perfect for this album. Ben Kenney makes perfect chemistry with Incubus and I'm so in love with this album. I also love how smoothly "Beware! Criminal" and "Sick Sad Little World" slide into each other. The first couple of times I heard it, I thought they were part of the same piece. "Talk Shows on Mute" is also amazing, and Incubus owns. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd has continued to yearn as a genius in my mind. He will always have the beautiful, sweet voice that can put me to sleep everynight and the one I can listen to for hours. The lyrics are very different from other bands you might hear. I also like the way alternative band Third Eye Blind has the taste in lyrics, Because they relate to Incubus's. One line I can't get enough of is in 'Southern Girl', "We'll behave like animals, Swing from tree to tree." I also love the lyrics in 'Here In My Room', They really create a mood for the song "You enter in full blown technicolor", "Show me the world seen from the stars." I also love 'Agoraphobia''s "And know that fate is what we make of it." And 'Beware! Criminal's lyrics just stunned me. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on the album, I can't really decide. I love tracks 1 through 8, And also 11 through 14. I was very impressed that Incubus can do it to me every time. It was so worth the money and so worth cutting lunch to go buy it at Best Buy on the first day. I think this Album is just as good as the others, Possibly better, But we'll see. I love the artistic influence Incubus still has on me and I hope it continues for albums to come. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2004

Sound: Overall, the sound of this album is a mix between "Make Yourself" and "Fungus Amongus" with a bit of "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." It's very easy to tell they are becoming a cleaner, crisper band. Ben Kenney adds some very good background vocals not heard on previous albums. And Mike's guitar work is phenomenal, especially on "Sick, Sad, Little, World." Very well done. "Megalomaniac" seems a little out of place on this album. The real album begins at the title track. There is, of course, the specific "Incubus" sound that they put in a few of the songs in this album. It's the type of thing we heard in "Stellar" and "Nice To Know You" from previous albums. It's hard to explain, but very apparent in "Pistola," one of the best tracks and easily a single from the album. Some highlights include, "A Crow Left Of The Murder," "Pistola," "Sick, Sad, Little World," Beware Criminal," "Zee Deveel," and "Here In My Room." These are easily the stand-outs of the album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album is very solid. It does not have the depth of "Morning View," but still very good. Brandon, unfortunately, seems to be on this stream-of-consceousness thing with lyrics and every now and then the songs don't make sense. Ex: "Still in transfix the electric sheep are dreaming up our fate." (Talk Show On Mute) He also bogs with convoluded metaphors like "Pink tractorbeam into your incision," (Here In My Room). But on other songs, he does a very good job. His best lyrics are probably in "A Crow Left Of The Murder," "Leech," and of course "Beware, Criminal." Those songs reach ranges from being uplifting to downright scathing, and they are the most memorable and straightforward lyrics of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: This record is slowly going in a direction that will eventually lead Incubus to be a band to be reckoned with. They are slowly developing a sound that is not only a welcomed change from the crap we hear on the radio, but may someday even be the template for rock bands in the years to come. (let's just not hope for cheap Incubus knock-off bands.) Musically, this is one of their most developed and daring albums; bringing back their original sounds from earlier albums and developing newer ones. The new bassist does a wonderful job taking over songs and background vocals to allow Mike some time to experiment with his guitar work, which really shines out. He's becoming a fantastic guitar player. Brandon's vocals have never been better. And there's nothing wrong we can say about Jose's percussion skills. I even like how Kilmore blends in as a dj rather than stand out. This was their "little experiment" and it semed to work out just fine. At this rate their next album should be down right incredible. // 8

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2004

Sound: All the songs on this album sounds different and has an individual uniqueness to it. "Sourthen Girl" is very mellow and romantic whereas "Megalomanic", the first single of the album is totally full of energy. "Talk Show On The Mute" and "Agorophobia" totally grows on you. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon has done it again. The lyrics has a very inteligent and peotic. "Love is a verb here in my room" is one of the lines that gets you crackin'. It makes lods of sense when you read between the lines. I love the words of "Talk Show On The Mute". It's not the way you write it, but also how you sings it, I have certainly no complains about this album. // 10

Overall Impression: ACLOTM is definatly a must have for you CD collection. Even after the next many years, this album will still sound as good as it does now. If you don't have the album, get it now, cause all the songs on it are "great." // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: rjc_15, on march 10, 2005

Sound: This CD blew me away. It perfectly showcases why this band cannot be labeled into a specific genre. Mike is beyond amazing, with solos that are somtimes simple and oh so catchy. Brandons voice seeks new heights and shows us all you can have a nice sounding falsetto. I was weary of newcomer Ben Kenney, but his minimalist approach does this album justice. And without failure, Jose and Kilmore keep things intersting in the background. // 10

Lyrics: Much like the other Incubus albums, Brandons lyrics are both enigmatic and insightful. With this blatent reference to Orson Wells' classic 1984 on the track "Talk Shows On Mute," to his take on the personalites of those around him in "Megalomaniac," he shows that he still knows how to write some intersting lyrics. And if you think they gave up on slower songs, check out "Southern Girl" and "Here In My Room," each of which are both captivating and beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD was probably the best offering from Incubus yet. The stand out tune for me was "Sick Sad Little World," because I can relate to it so much, and the solo performance by Mike Einzinger is tremendous. If there was one thing I didn't like about the album, it's that I didn't buy the DualDisc version. Bummer. But I recommend it to any fan or someone who wants something new. It is worth the money, hands down. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2005

Sound: The guitar on this album is totaly famaominal comepared to their other albums. Michael has definately been wokin on it. The expermenting with all the efects realy helped him but not as much with the scratching as the other albums. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are very moving and suprisingly political I think they made a piont with "Mogelomaniac" that is a great song. And the lyrics go to in cronilogical order from begining to the end. // 10

Overall Impression: This has became one of my favorite albums and it made me buy all the rest of the their albums wich dont quite compare. This will definately be repaced when it wairs out. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: TheGimpMaster01, on october 15, 2005

Sound: The sound is very unique. No other band sounds like them. They are very good. I think they should be better known by people. Their guitarists are really good. The sound is unusual and that's cool becuase it sounds normal at the same time. In the song "Priceless," the solo is really sweet and the whole transition is just awesome. // 10

Lyrics: It's undeniable that the singer spends some time on his lyrics. And it's also undeniable that the singer likes doing what he does. His singing is really good. He has a good voice and can really do some stuff with it. He has amazing range too. // 10

Overall Impression: The CD is worth the money. Go to best buy or something but make sure you own this CD. It is very good and I assure you will be pleased with it! I certainly was! The album art is cool too, not that that has anything to do with this. The sound is unique like I've already said, and Incubus does a good job with their music. I'm very happy with this purchase. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: old-wise-one, on january 06, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is genious and totally different to that of their previous 4 albums. This album sees them take their hard rock sound and mix it with jazz. The result is brilliant, and in my opinion, one of the most original sounding records in modern music. Most of the songs here aren't as 'heavy' as their previous work, but is alot more up tempo. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Boyds lyrics are just pure genious, he uses the most imaginitive metaphors around, to create lyrics that appear to be about nothing in particular but have meaning. As a result the style of lyrics fit perfectly with the music, eccentric yet brilliant. As a singer, Brandon has a great unique voice that really stands out. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one the best, most original recordings I have heard. I mixes styles almost effortlesly. For me, the most impressive songs are Megalomaniac and Pistola. I love every thing about this album. If it were stolen I would definately buy it again. // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2006

Sound: The band has grown over the 3 years since Morning View and let's just say they did a great job on polishing their sound. The story behind this CD is that Make Yourself and Morning View were very alike sounding albums. Although Morning View got a little more poppier, so it was now time to make an off the wall, innovative creation. They stretched their sound and went back to their roots at the same time, speaking of the Roots, new bassist Ben Kenney! Simply Amazing on the sound as a whole. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics (as always with Incubus) are spectacular. Brandon Boyd shows his genius clearly, and you can see his political stance on the Iraq war on songs like "Megalomaniac" and "Agoraphobia." After one listen you can see him pointing the finger at Bush (with good reason) and you see that with all this war going on he would rather just "stay inside for good." Also, it seems with every album that vocally Brandon is just getting better and better, making stretches with his voice that you don't usually see with a male singer, but it is great. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album does not compare to anything that I have ever heard. It is Incubus in their hardest, most punk sounding form while still maintaining such an innovative stance that tends to blow away every listener that first hears the album. After many listens it still surprises me to see what these guys did on this album, pure genius. The most impressive songs (in my opinion) are (in no particular order): "Sick Sad Little World," "Megalomaniac," "Beware Criminal!" "Here In My Room," "Priceless," "Zee Deveel" and "Made For TV Movie." The other songs are also great too. I love everything about the album and all I really hate is that songs like "Pantomime" and "Monuments And Melodies" were not included but that's okay. If it were stolen or lost, I would just burn it again. With the promise of the new tracks on the Stealth soundtrack ("Make A Move," "Admiration" and "Niether Of Us Can See") it's easy to see that we have another groundbreaking album coming soon from these guys, hopefully in 2006! // 10

A Crow Left Of The Murder Reviewed by: cygnus2112, on june 01, 2006

Sound: Incubus never cease to amaze me with their unique sounds from album to album. Over the years, Incubus have been, in my own opinion, more of an easy listening band with good, catchy songs. Songs like "Burn" instantly come to mind. Listening to the album, a few songs still stay within that range of easy listening, yet catchy tunes. "Talk Shows on Mute" was a widely known song off this album, and still generates many fans from other music genres, such as the oldies and punk. "Megalomaniac" and "A Crow Left Of The Murder" bring out their heavier side, a side I would predict in a new album, after such a haitus. // 9

Lyrics: Once again, Brandon Boyd comes through, with innovative and fantastic transitions between words and lyrics in this epic. "Still and transfixed, the electric sheep are dreaming up your face." This line is from the song "Talk Shows on Mute". Who knows what it means, but it flows, and it actually almost makes sense. "Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there, open arms and open eyes, yeah." This line is from an earlier album, the song "Burn". It shows confidence and superiority. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, Incubus have done it again. "A Crow Left Of The Murder" is a must have for any music lover's collection. Should it go missing in my collection, I would look for it, or buy it again. It is worth it. Definetly worth your money. // 9

More Incubus reviews rating latest review
+ If Not Now, When? 6.6 02/08/2012