Enjoy Incubus Review

incubus: Enjoy Incubus
Released: Jan 7, 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Rock, Funk Metal, Rap-Metal
It's not the most poignant or moving stuff around, but it's innovative, filled with potential, and most of all, it sounds like the Incubus boys are having fun, which gives them more soul than a lot of groups out there.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Enjoy Incubus Reviewed by: colourofanger, on april 13, 2005

Sound: The Enjoy Incubus EP is basically the best songs from Incubus' first album "Fungus Amongus" re-recorded with their first DJ, Gavin Koppel aka DJ Lyfe, as well as including two previously unreleased songs. This band somehow manage to fuse many contrasting genres into one song. It is mostly rock-orientated but has a jazzy feel to it, with underlying funk bass riffs. "You Will Be A Hot Dancer" opens the EP with a jazzy guitar lick and moves into a likeably childish chorus. "Shaft" is a more metallic, disorientating song. The bizarre "Take Me To Your Leader" is almost alien-like with a long drum intro and polyphonic guitar/bass parts. "Version" manages to mix a reggae-sounding verse with a rockier chorus. "Azwethinkweiz" is surprisingly tight for a such a technical song. The drums weave in and out of the melody, which changes tone and structure several times. "Hilikus" starts with a quite relaxed sound before moving into rockier territory, again with with funky bass riffs. // 8

Lyrics: You can see a definite improvement in Brandon Boyd's lyrics, between the older songs that he wrote when he was 15/16 and the newer songs "Version" and "Azwethinkweiz." He was an excellent lyricist to begin with but the newer songs are definitely more mature. "Take Me To Your Leader" and "Hilikus," both about soft drug use, contrast sharply with "Version" and "Azwethinkweiz," songs which both challenge self identity and conformity. For instance, the chorus of "You Will Be A Hot Dancer" is "Don't you make fun of me! Don't you make fun of me! What will become of me? I'll be a hot dancer!" and the song ends, "Na na na na na na, I'm a hot dancer!" The lyrics in "Azwethinkweiz" fit in nicely with the polyphonic melody, "What if what I thought, about who I think I thought I was, was nothing more than my cerebellum slobbering?" In all of the songs, Boyd definitely has his own style, which hasn't yet been matched by any other lyricist I can think of. He seems to have been writing his thoughts as he thinks them and then putting them to music unedited. One of my favourite lyrics is included on this EP, which could only have been on such a bizarre recording - "What if I was just dreaming? What if I lived in a pear? What if I had a mustard drenched cucumber tied to my leg and I did not want my pants to get dirty?" Legend! // 10

Overall Impression: In contrast with other Incubus' records, whereas on recordings like "SCIENCE" and "Morning View," the songs all sound completely different and very distinctive, the songs on Enjoy Incubus all sound much more similar to one another. At this time, the band seemed to have found a method of writing which worked for them and stuck with it before moving into other styles of writing which opened doors and helped make each song original. Despite this, they were still bizarrely talented at such a young age and this EP is a good snapshot of all their elements, pre-"Make Yourself" era, when they became huge. They have a completely different style here than on any of their recent records and even if you don't like "A Crow Left Of The Murder" or "Morning View," you should not overlook earlier material such as "Enjoy Incubus" or "Fungus Amongus," because these earlier songs are played and written from a completely different state of mind. // 10

More Incubus reviews rating latest review
+ If Not Now, When? 6.6 02/08/2012