Fungus Amongus Review

Styles: Heavy Metal, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal, Rap-Rock
 9.4
 9.7
Fungus Amongus Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Sound: This Incubus album is somewhat unknown to people who aren't deeply into Incubus. I love every single one of their albums because they are all different. This aum is funk/metal/rap-metal/rock. Mikey's guitar songs grea. Songs like You Will Be A Hot Dancer, Trouble In 421, Sink Beneath The Line, Psyhocilisiben, and Hilikus, have great solos, especially 421. You can realy hear alot of bass n tis album. Dirk shows his talent on Dancer, Answer, Speak Free, and Hilikus notably Free. And like always Jose' drummer is specacular. There is o DJon this album. // 10

Lyrics: I've always loved Incubus' lyrics. On Fungus, almost all te lyrics mak no sense. Brandon doesnt really sing at all on this album. Only on some little parts in songs such as Hot Dancer, Answer, Hilikus. Though I wish there was a little more singing, it fits perfect with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album! If yor a true Incubus fan and don't have it, get it, if you dont like Incubus, get it, you'll still like it. // 10

Fungus Amongus Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2004

Sound: This is a CD that I've always wanted, but never could find it, I finally found it in Best Buy one day and I got it immediatly. I really did enjoy their CD Enjoy because I really like that funkalicious, bass slappin, in your face style of funk grunge. They made this before their days with a DJ, so it saounds a little funny after listening to them for so long with one. Four of the songs on Enjoy are on this one along with 6 original ones. The bass slaps are seen a lot here and are really good to compliment Mike Eizinger's sweer riffs. The guitar here was awesome. It didn't just encompass funk, he ventures into grunge rock in Trouble in 421,Shaft and Psycosilocybin. The solos are really good too and are seen in almost every song. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd's vocals have changed so much over the years and I could hardly recognize his voice. It sounds a lot more rough around the edges than the more melodic style he uses now, which suits the mood of the album. The lyrics are good, as usual, but nothing that really stands out at me. // 8

Overall Impression: This is truly like nothing I've ever heard, most of the songs go from a funk groove to a more metallic sound with dirty tones. Here's a rundown on the tracks: 01. You'll Be A Hot Dancer: a track off of Enjoy. A really cool song that a sound that is very unique, a funk groove with a kinda dark sound to it. 02. Shaft: another one off of Enjoy. Not one of my favorites, but not bad. An example that is purely grunge. 03. Trouble In 421: a favorite of the album, the best guitar solo on the album and a really cool chorus. 04. Take Me To Your Leader: another Enjoy track. Sounds a lot different without a DJ. 05. Medium: kind of a dark tone to it, pretty good song. 06. Speak Free: an odd song, but has awesome bass slaps. 07. The Answer: another good guitar solo here, vocals sound like they were made under water. 08. Psycosilicybin: awesome song, really a showcase of the bands talents, includes a few guitar and bass solos, a drum solo, and even includes Brandon rapping. 09. Sink Beneath The Line: really good song, has an awesome funk beat. 10. Hilikus: another enjoy beat which closes out with an awesome guitar solo. // 10

Fungus Amongus Reviewed by: larry jones, on november 20, 2006

Sound: If you just heard "Anna Molly" or "Drive" on the radio the other day, then you would probably be surprised to find that the same Incubus band put out this independent release over a decade ago. Fungus Amongus represents the "original" Incubus sound that combines influences in the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Primus. Unlike on many of the mainstream rock hits that filled Make Yourself and Morning View, as well as some of A Crow Left of the Murder, Mike Einziger (guitar), Jose Pasillas (drums), and then-bassist Dirk Lance all display their undeniable mastery of their instruments, especially Einziger, as notable on songs such as "Trouble in 421", "Psychopsilocybin", and the Spin Doctors-like jam of "Sink Beneath The Line". Casual or hardcore listeners alike of funk, ska, and metal will find this album to be an amazingly compact, while still rewarding listen. // 10

Lyrics: While Brandon Boyd is no lyrical wizard, his vocal abilites are impressive, to say the least. Boyd is able to churn out growls and screams, like on "You Will Be A Hot Dancer" and "Speak Free," and then, seemingly out of nowhere, quickly switch into a melodic lull that nearly puts you to sleep. On the song "Sink Beneath the Line", Boyd even takes a jab at some skat just before the powerful guitar solo that ensues. Nevertheless, the singing on this album far outweighs the lyrics. Still, who cares what he's singing about when you're listening to this guy's voice anyway? // 9

Overall Impression: The immediate differences in the sound of this album will immediately shock newer post-S.C.I.E.N.C.E. fans, as well as enlighten listeners of how skilled these four guys really are at their respective instruments. Brandon Boyd, despite the irrelevance of his lyrics on this album, is most likely the star here. Still, it is hard to deny that Einziger or Lance are two of the best at their instruments from their time. For those who even remotely enjoy the funk/metal genre, this album will be a complete success. And while introducing nothing remarkably original, it's influences are furthered and creatively built upon, rather than blatantly ripped off, like many of their modern day contemporaries. // 10

Fungus Amongus Reviewed by: Dewey1040, on january 13, 2009

Sound: You do not have to be a hardcore incubus fan to enjoy this cd! Not the greatest sound quality, but it's still more then ok to listen to. Whoever said bass isnt heard much on this CD is an idiot. This CD is a Funk metal cd, bass is the center instrument. Some great guitar work can be found on this album on top of the outstanding bass. Drums may not wow you but are still very solid. This CD is comparable to primus and early RHCP, but personally I'm not a fan of early RHCP or primus and I absolutley love this cd. In other words, it's a much easier listen, and is just as impressive. These guys recorded this at age 19, that is one helluva feat, the entire band is always in a tight groove on this album whether it's a slower song, faster song, or more of a jam, it's always very tight. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit the music, the rapping isn't always needed, but brandons singing is still top notch. Just don't take the lyrics seriously on every track, sometimes they are more joking around then being serious. When you're listening to this CD and say to yourself why did they yell that don't say I didn't warn you. // 9

Overall Impression: once again you do not have to be a hardcore incubus fan to enjoy this album... it's so much different then most of their more commercial stuff that it's entirely possible you'll like make yourself more then sliced bread, but this album is more of mehh. But that also means that you may not like incubus at all and listen to this and love it. Best songs: you will be a hot dancer, trouble in 421, psychopsilocybin, sink beneath the line. If someone stole this I would definately burn another copy haha, it's hard to find in stores. // 10

More Incubus reviews rating latest review
+ If Not Now, When? 6.6 02/08/2012