Light Grenades Review

incubus: Light Grenades
Release Date: Nov 28, 2006
Label: Epic/Immortal
Genres: Alternative, Rock
Incubus is at its best on the new CD when it stays from the typical radio-single format.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.2
 8.8
Light Grenades Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 08, 2006

Sound: If there's one thing that always stands out in an Incubus song, it's the powerful and versatile vocals of Brandon Boyd. The latest release Light Grenades is no exception to this fact, and Brandon demonstrates once again he can make even the weaker songs interesting. That's not to say that the latest CD is that lacking because it is still diverse enough to keep even harsh critics entertained. There are plenty of single-worthy songs on Light Grenades, but Incubus is at it's best when it doesn't sound like the typical radio hit. The opening track Quicksand on the 6th album from Incubus (vocalist Brandon Boyd, guitarist Michael Einziger, drummer Jose Pasillas, turntablist Chris Kilmore, and bassist Ben Kenney) actually is one of most inspired and memorable of Light Grenades. With its acoustic-based intro and Boyd's effect-enhanced vocals that almost sound ghost-like, Quicksand has an experimental feel that never goes overboard. While it will probably never be used as a single because of its unique aspects, it still stands out from all of the other tracks. The first single Anna Molly follows a bit more traditional songwriting format than Quicksand, but it still shows off Boyd's vocal prowess. The verses feature his flawless falsetto, while his unusual phrasing of the title (it sounds more like anomaly) is rather intriguing in itself. There is a fantastic breakdown that feels somewhat like Rage Against The Machine's rhythm section work, and although it comes out of nowhere, it is one of the best moments in the song. It doesn't quite match the passionate oomph heard in Light Grenades -- a song that features Boyd's rapid rap-attack vocals -- but you'll likely be humming Anna Molly for the rest of the night. There are a few songs that feel a bit uninspired in terms of the songwriting, but Boyd still does manage to put all his emotion in his vocals and is able to salvage the songs. Diamonds And Coal is one of the tracks that doesn't really go anywhere that new and gets stuck on a monotonous chorus. The band proves it is capable of much more on tracks like Quicksand, so Diamonds And Coal feels a bit too much like filler material because of it. // 8

Lyrics: Incubus put a lot of creative thought into the lyrics on Light Grenades, and the emotions involved in personal relationships often take center stage. Boyd is completely believable in his delivery, making the words all the more significant. A Kiss To Send Us Off involves an intimate conversation between two lovers, and the title does sum up the gist of it. Boyd sings, Bring your mouth; And selective irreverence; We'll both see stars, just; One more tongue kiss before; The sky it falls. The descriptive nature of lyrics like one more tongue kiss makes the song incredibly memorable. The friendship theme of Dig is lyrically reminiscent to Red Hot Chili Peppers' Knock Me Down in terms of a picking up a pal when they're involved in a self-destructive situation. Boyd sings, So when my weakness turns my ego up; I know you'll count on the me from yesterday; If I turn into another; Dig me up from under what is covering. The song represents just one example of the interesting ways Incubus delves into relationships on Light Grenades. // 9

Overall Impression: If it's possible, Boyd sounds better than ever. The heartfelt emotion that Boyd does inject is often able to make up for the moments when the CD might lag, and listeners will be able to appreciate the vocal delivery when all else fails. Light Grenades once again delves different sounds and effects with the help of turntable master Chris Kilmore, and Incubus wisely uses those extras to enhance and not overtake the CD. Incubus dips into a lot of different musical genres, and that chameleon aspect has always been a big appeal. Light Grenades continues this trend and has a good number of memorable songs, most of which do sound atypical to radio singles. Quicksand and Light Grenades are extreme opposites in terms of tempo, but they both don't sound like anything else that's out there. And when the band does dare to be different, that's when there is the biggest payoff. // 8

Light Grenades Reviewed by: colourofanger, on december 08, 2006

Sound: Just when you think Incubus must have run out of new and distinctive ways to play with their own personal genre, they bring out a new album. Light Grenades does not fail to impress. The songs alternate between the clean, acoustic type and the grungy, distorted sound Incubus have never failed to deliver with style. It opens with the eerie, electronic song "Quicksand" before diving straight into "A Kiss To Send Us Off," a song which demands attention. The single "Anna Molly" works much better within the context on the album than it does on it's own. "Love Hurts" is a simple, melodic treat for the ears which is followed by the excitable riff that begins the title song, "Light Grenades." The song "Rogues" sticks out from the others towards the end, with it's odd, changing tempo. The album closes with a song that started halfway through the album. "Earth To Bella" parts 1 & 2 are our intervals and closing credits. All round, "Light Grenades" is an album without flaws. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics could be considered photographic, in a way, with each song setting a scene. A more introspective approach has been taken, questioning various emotions and demanding a change in things that are unsatisfactory. This can be seen in the single, "Anna Molly" which is a name derived from the word "anomaly." The lyrics sung are, "A cloud hangs over this city by the sea. I watch the ships pass and wonder if she might be out there and sober as a well for loneliness, please do persist, girl, it's time we met and made a mess." This continues in the song, "Love Hurts," "Have a heart and try me, because without love, I won't survive." In the song, "Rogues" a kind of awakening is asked of us, when Brandon Boyd sings, "Enough bowing down to disillusion!" The same theme is played with in "Light Grenades," "No one's immune, deafening bells, my God, will we survive ourselves? Come on, remember who you are." As with many of the previous Incubus albums, though, while society at large and disagreeable emotions are explored and criticised, some comfort is also offered. In the song "Earth To Bella Part 1" it is sung, "The world can be an unfriendly place, so hold your head up and do your best to save some face." Lyrically, this album is well-rounded, an excellent balance of positivity and critical negativity. // 9

Overall Impression: It's not only the recognisable voice, but also the exact techniques used by the whole band when experimenting with music, that make Incubus what they are, which is a band separate from all others. They truly deserve every millimetre of popularity, mainstream or otherwise, which they have acquired. Personally, I find that each and every Incubus song I've heard has been enjoyable and I am yet to find one which I don't want to listen to regularly. Light Grenades is no exception. It is a relief to hear that Incubus have not strayed from their own path, despite popular music currently being saturated with pretentious faux-indie bands. They're simply talented, without having to prove it excessively. I would hate to ever be seen to be missing this album from my collection. I might even buy another 2 or 3 just in case. // 10

Light Grenades Reviewed by: BTGroove, on december 08, 2006

Sound: Incubus' sound on every record is incredible. Brenden O'Brian is I think a genius producer. After taking a short time off after the ACLOTM tour, Incubus went on and just relaxed. The improvements on this album are obvious. Brandon's voice is fierce on this record. He sounds his the best he ever has. Mike's songwriting capibility is incomparable. The songs are so unlike anything else on other records. His song craft has changed, and for the better. He has many chances to show off as well, and they are great. Ben I feel is a great addition to the band. I love Dirk don't get me wrong, but since Ben has joined, everything has a different feel, and I think he helped the band in many ways. Jose there is not much to say, other then he is untouchable. I think he is the best. And Killmore I think had the most impact on this record more than any other albums he has been a part of. On the break the band took, he took the opportunity to learn more instruments, including the mellatron. His presence in all the songs is very satisfying. // 10

Lyrics: When it comes to Incubus, there is not much to complain about lyrically. There are all great. One my favorite lines is from, the great Paper Shoes "Your about as reliable as Paper Shoes in bad weather." Brandon Boyd is the most creative writer of music today. He is so innovative, so poetic and prophetic. As a singer, Brandon is my idol as well. His voice sounds clear as day on this record. Beautiful, incomparable, amazing, unstoppable. // 10

Overall Impression: Incubus is my absolute favorite band of all time. I believe when a band can create a new sound on every album, then that says a lot about the band. Incubus has successfully done that from Fungus Amungus, all the way through to ACLOTM. Light Grenades has been so highly anticipated, and I am here to say it all but dissapoints. If this CD were stolen, yes of course I would be mad, but then again yet another person would be exposed to this album, which is great. And I have backup copies that I bought. I would like to go through the album song by song. 01. Quicksand - more and intro then a song. You can clearly hear where Mike and Killmore experimented with keyboard songs. Gives the album a great feel. 02. A Kiss To Send Us Off - starts the record off with a bang. The melody line in the verse is very catchy, and then the chorus just cathes you off guard. To me an unconventional Incubus song, but I love it. 03. Dig - one of my favorite songs on the record. Brandon sounds unbelievable. The song has such a cool groove to it. I remember months ago on the Incubus website, Brandon had a posting where he said Dig is one of the heaviest songs we have ever written. At the time I was anticipating something reminiscent of S.C.I.E.N.C.E., but what he really meant was totally different. The lyrics are I feel heavily conceptual, and the song is heavy, just in a different sense of the word. It's big. 04. Anna Molly - the first single off the record. Different from any other single released by Incubus. I love the guitar riff. 05. Love Hurts - the lyrics to this song are one of my favorites. It has a really cool sound to the song. I feel like towards the end it's a totally different song, which I love about Incubus 06. Light Grenades - chaos! After hearing all the songs they did for the Halo Soundtrack, I was hoping for similar songs on the album. And this is one of a few. Great. 07. Earth To Bella - probably the most buzzed about song from the album. Somehow brings me back to Morning View. 08. Oil And Water - in my top 2 favorites on the record. So catchy, so different, I absolutly love it. When I heard the 30 second clip I called that it would probably be the best song on the record, and on the podcast Brandon said the same thing. 09. Diamonds And Coal - another song in a totally different direction. It's so catchy, the music is one of my favorites on this album. 10. Rogues - another crazy song. I hope they play it live. It kicks ass. Lyrics are phenomenal, amazing. 11. Paper Shoes - mikes best acoustic riff I think on any song. The timing brings a great feel. Usually I don't like ballads out of 4/4, but they make it work. The bongo sounding part is actually Brandon and Mike banging on their chests, with ambient mics on them. 12. Pendulous Threads - Mike best guitar work. Hands down. The solo at the end brings me back to "Sick Sad Little World" Jose kicks ass on this, and once again Killmore's presence on this track is perfect. And again, Brandon sounds his best, as on the whole album. The melody is so catchy. 13. Earth To Bella 2 - the first time Incubus has ever split up a song on a record. It's the same music, but not at the same time. The guitar work is incredible. It's incredible. Don't forget about the 2 bonus tracks included on the Japanese import of the album. Punch Drunk, and Look Alive. They both are fantastic. I love this album. // 10

Light Grenades Reviewed by: PapaDelicious, on december 08, 2006

Sound: The band's sound has definitely matured from their last release. In terms of tones, I think a mix of the past three albums, but Brandon's voice is not necessarily different, but he is softer for more of the album. He is still able to bust out rockin' when needed, such as on "Anna Molly". Mike Einzeiger is great on guitar as usual too. It feels familiar, but not overused. His tone is not vastly different, but the approach if not the feel, if that makes sense, is different. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good, I haven't had a chance to really "dig" into them, but I think they are decent. Brandon Boyd does not dissappoint at all, he is just a really strong good singer. The lyrics also definitely fit in with the music, the vocals are not just a tool to get lyrics across, they are also there own instrument in the way they should fit, and I have yet to be disappointed by Incubus in this department. // 9

Overall Impression: It is definitely a great CD, you should definitely get it if your are an Incubus fan, and even if you're not, I think you will be after you hear this. It's definitely a great CD, one of their better works in my opinion. My personal favorite songs were "Dig" and "Diamonds And Coal". I just love incubus and the flavor overall of this album. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another one. Maybe even two, so I'd have a backup. // 9

Light Grenades Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2006

Sound: The five piece California-based band is back again with their follow up release to 2004's A Crow Left of the Murder: Light Grenades. This new CD brings a different kind of sound and style in general than their previous albums. As always, Incubus leaves a hint of what's to come in the previous albums and take ten steps further on their next. Light Grenades is by far their most intriguing and conceptual album up-to-date. It encompasses the thought of throwing good ideas instead of warfare to explode as "light". As seen from A Crow Left of the Murder, Light Grenades moves away from the DJ scratches and the jazzy bass (partly due to Dirk Lance's departure and arrival of The Root's Ben Kenney) and have brought in a more progressive sound such as the title track Light Grenades and Rogues. Influences that seemed to have been present in their album was in the waves of The Police. Mike Einziger blends his unique aresenal of effects with his skills at melodies and gives us an impressive display of guitar, and Ben Kenney is good at building ontop of Mike's Playing. DJ Kilmore broadened our ears with more than turntables, bring in rhodes, piano, and much more with excellence to least to say. // 10

Lyrics: Hands down, Brandon Boyd is something that is not new to the world of grace. This time around, Brandon writes about love and it's troubles and glories as well as very abstract and interesting concepts such as the title track Light Grenades. Brandon's vocals shine throughout the whole album and brings a lot of harmonies throughout some songs (which really works well with his voice.) No doubt that Brandon's voice has gone a long way since 1997's debut fast paced album S.C.I.E.N.C.E. or even as recent as 2001's melodical album Morning View. Musically and lyrically, he is a genius and builds a great chemistry with guitarist Mike Einziger. // 10

Overall Impression: Light Grenades has proven to us just how ever-changing Incubus is and pulls it off to our amazement. With Incubus, you can always expect the unexpected and by far, this has got to be Incubus's best album to date. Make Yourself and Morning View will most probably forever be memorable and probably one of their greatest works, but they are the building stones to Light Grenades. Songs such as Pendulous Threads, their single Anna Molly, Rogues, and Light Grenades show a more driven side to Incubus as other songs such as the 2 part song Earth to Bella and Paper Shoes show a more acoustic, clean sound that was never fully developed in other albums. It was a perfect mix of different styles and as they said it themselves, "it sounds like 13 different songs." Light Grenades is something that would not be great start for those who are new to Incubus, but for those who have heard their previous work, it will certainly not be a disappointment if you are open to their evolving sounds. It might take a while to kick in for some, but once it does, you don't want to get off the train. It is certainly one of the highlights in music of 2006 and is a must to hear. If this album was lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again in a heartbeat. If you're looking to find yourself lost in a magnificent album, look no further and get Light Grenades. // 10

Light Grenades Reviewed by: wiggyisgreat, on december 09, 2006

Sound: I love incubus' sound, one of the greatest sounds in the world of music. Every song varies so much, and every one is amazing. All of their past albums are imense, Morning View and Make Yourself being the best, in my opinion. I find incubus use more affects in this album, the first track, "Quicksand", is based mainly on affects. Although there are also some amazing guitar riffs in this album, such as the song "Light Grenades". Incubus fans may be aware of the lack of guitar solo's in their songs, but there are 2 noticeable solos in this album, from "Light Grenades" and "Pendulous Threads". Those are my 2 favourite songs on the album, along with "Anna Molly". Overall a very good sound, although with some repetitiveness. // 9

Lyrics: I find in every incubus album there are some amazing lyrics, and this album is no different. In the song "Diamonds And Coal", the lyrics stand out for me. "Hey now, in spite of this we're doing just fine, even diamonds start as coal. Give us time to shine, even diamonds start as coal". The rhythm pattern of the lyrics catches my attention, such as in the song "Light Grenades", it is quite fast pace and intense, and also in "Anna Molly." // 10

Overall Impression: I find this album quite different to other their other albums, but that's because I've listened to the others so much. It is a very good album, and if it got lost I would definintely buy it again. Some people may find it takes a while to get into the album, but overall every song has strong points. The best songs for me are "Anna Molly", "Light Grenades", "Oil and Water", "Rogues" and "Pendulous Threads". A very well thought out and nicely constructed album, but not my favourite from Incubus. // 10

Light Grenades Reviewed by: anthonyd3ca, on january 16, 2007

Sound: When Incubus emerged in the late '90s, they sounded like Pearl Jam to the next alternative-rock level, replete with DJ scratching, white-boy pseudo-rapping and a virtuoso guitarists' rabid fretwork. But something happened over the course of five albums. By their sixth and latest release, "Light Grenades," the group has evolved into a taut, pop-rock outfit. // 7

Lyrics: Love Hurts" and "Dig" are shimmery and clean--this is straightforward stuff with likeable everyman singer Brandon Boyd in the spotlight. Indeed, his populist lyrics should invite more of the mainstream into Incubus' tent. "We all have something that digs at us," he sings on "Dig." Elsewhere, the old Incubus surfaces on tracks like "Oil and Water" and through the funk boogie of "Rogues," with Boyd announcing, "Hats off and applause to rogues and revolution!" // 8

Overall Impression: Light Grenades is hardly the smash it's name suggests. Instead, Incubus is holding onto it's youthful edge while working extra hard at writing accessible, melodic, pop rock. It's an effort best summed up by lyrics from it's closing track, "Earth To Bella (Part 2)": "You're treading water successfully/But are you really?" // 7

Light Grenades Reviewed by: |<guitarhero>|, on april 28, 2007

Sound: This is my favorite Incubus album by a long shot. When you hear it, you know it's the same old Incubus, but with a newer, cooler sound. The overall sound of all the instruments is great, the sound is great, on none of the song do the guitars outpower the vocals (or vice-versa), which you don't see much now-a-days. When I first saw the album cover, I just looked at it for 15 minutes, because it at first appears to be a grenade, but at further inspection, you notice it is many things symbolizing peace coming together to form something symbolizing war. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are much more imaginative and deeper than previous albums (for proof, listen to Dig). I find myself actually trying to find a hidden meaning in the tracks, which I couldn't do for the other albums.The lyrics match perfectly with their songs. For instance, if you put Anna Molly's lyrics to Dig's sound, it most likely wouldn't be as good (it might, I don't know). Brandon (the singer) sounds great, as usual. Of all of the covers I've seen on youtube, noone can sing like him. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Incubus' best album in my opinion.For a few reasons: first, the lyrics are much better than the other albums. Secondly, the guitar riffs are better( except for Drive, which is my favorite Incubus song)overall. Third, I believe that this album is consistently better, most other albums just have one or two good songs, but Light Grenades has so many great songs. The most impressive songs are Anna Molly and Dig. I love the new sound of the band mixed with the good ol' Icubus we all enjoy. I hate absolutely nothing about this album. I don't have the CDI bought it on iTunes, so I don't have to worry about losing it! // 10

Light Grenades Reviewed by: scorpiusdiamond, on december 08, 2006

Sound: Light Grenades is a quantum leap for Incubus. Quicksand opens the album like no other Incubus song before it (except maybe influences from The Odyssey, Incubus' epic movements for the Halo 2 soundtrack). A Kiss To Send Us Off delivers punchy guitar and amazing swoops and dives, with intense lyrics. Dig inspires beautiful visions, using acoustics to make it down to earth. Anna Molly is an incredible blend of timbre, mixing incredible sounds. Love Hurts breaks a heart and brings a tear, it's instruments are simple, yet so (cliche) effective. Light Grenades punches any track from S.C.I.E.N.C.E out of the window. THE hardest Incubus song ever, Earth To Bella Part 1 changes so much from sweet acoustic melody to almost 'Are You In'-like swoops and sweeps in sound. Oil and Water is ever crescendoing with lyrics that dazzle. Diamonds and Coal is not the best song on the album, although the lyrics and beat is interesting. Rogues is dark and influential, it's mega-long intro leaves you gasping for air and the rest of the song blows you away. Paper Shoes is a disputed song, liked by some disliked by others. In my opinion, it's one to be avoided, Pendulous Threads kicks like Light Grenades, another punchy yet melodic song that throws what you think of Incubus out of the Window. Earth To Bella Part II rounds up the album sweetly, with an acoustic guitar. // 9

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd's lyrics have changed, instead of just fitting with the music as in previous albums (Talk Shows On Mute, ACLOTM) the lyrics in 'Light Grenades' are inspired, personal and deep and they fit with the music. Boyd's vocal prowess is ever impressive, although it doesn't change as much as on other albums. The held notes however are heart-stoppingly impressive. // 10

Overall Impression: Light Grenades is progressive, it beats all other Incubus albums in it's progressiveness, yet, it could never be a classic like S.C.I.E.N.C.E, Make Yourself and Morning View. It is a concept album, you can tell. It has previous influence from Incubus, but it takes from other bands too (most significantly System Of A Down (Quicksand/A Kiss To Send Us Off) if only it had been a double album, it would've been spectacular). The best songs on the albums will change for your tastes. Either punchy loud rock, or mellow acoustic alternative. I like a bit of both so 'A Kiss To Send Us Off', 'Dig', 'Anna Molly', 'Love Hurts', 'Light Grenades' and 'Pendulous Threads' are my favourites. My upmost favourite is 'Light Grenades', it's so different to other Incubus songs, yet so right. Although it's progressive, there are occasional songs which are lacking, this is why 'Light Grenades' doesn't hold the prowess of previous albums. This is definately a good course for Incubus, an essential for Incubus fans, and I definately can't wait for their tour! If it were stolen or lost (which I highly doubt it would be, as I have them backed up) I'd definately get it again, it's something I can't do without. I gave it an 8/10 because despite the progress Incubus have made, there are too many duff tracks on the album, but as I say, it is essential for those who like this kind of music! Excellent. // 8

Light Grenades Reviewed by: electric7, on december 08, 2006

Sound: In a world where bands rarely make it past their third album, bands that sound original and new are hard to come by. This happens to be Incubus' seventh album. "Light Grenades" comes after "A Crow Left Of The Murder", the wildly sucessful album from three years ago. This album shows that Incubus isn't about to give up. Incubus might actually be around for a very long time if they keep what they have going up. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrical content of Incubus' CDs are normally the same. They're actually normally well put together, more mature than most bands. The mix of instruments and vocals is a good one; Brandon (the lead singer) has a good voice for the genre and the guitarists, drummer, and mixer-man all sound very well experienced. The music is very well written, showing that they spend more time on lyrics and instruments than most bands do. The album has a good mix of acoustics and electronics. Take the Earth To Bella parts. The use acoustic guitars, but also some mixing. The song Anna Molly is a actually a good single. It's a nice, fast paced song, perfect for radio play. // 9

Overall Impression: Truthfully, is it any wonder that Incubus has survived in the music business as long as they have? The whole combination of instruments and vocals that they have is very well done. If Incubus can keep their style and write good songs like they have been, Incubus could become immortal. // 9

Light Grenades Reviewed by: TomLavery, on december 08, 2006

Sound: Many people thought Incubus was turning for the worst, with the new direction it headed with, A Crow Left of the Murder. While numerous amounts of people disputed their opinions, there is no question that Incubus has given us yet another great album with the follow up, seventh album titled, Light Grenades. Light Grenades, shows us that Incubus still has what they have had since day one: innovative, raw talent. Songs like, Dig, Anna Molly, Paper Shoes, Love Hurts, and Earth To Bella Part 1, showcase the bands ability to make creative, melodic, and powerful music. // 9

Lyrics: Brandon always has meaningful lyrics, and when accompanied with the music, you get a sense of how he felt when he wrote them. They fit the music extremely well, and nothing feels out of place. As stated before, Brandon's voice is definitely at his finest in this album, and he is always a joy to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the better albums that Incubus has produced. But is it the best? No, I wouldn't go as far to say that (Make Yourself and Morning View are hard albums to top). "Light Grenades," shows us that Incubus still has the ability to create amazing music, and hopefully future albums will uphold that tradition. // 9

More Incubus reviews rating latest review
+ If Not Now, When? 6.6 02/08/2012