Make Yourself Review

artist: incubus date: 06/23/2008 category: compact discs
incubus: Make Yourself
Released: Oct 26, 1999
Genre: Rock
Tones: Provocative, Exuberant, Aggressive, Rousing, Passionate, Intense, Energetic
Styles: Heavy Metal, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal
 9.8
 9.5
Make Yourself Reviewed by: spoonman017, on october 08, 2003

Sound: Incubus has evolved into a more mature band with every album, but this is where they turn toward the more melodic songs. This album is so diverse. Make Yourself cannot be put into any category. It was the perfect example of a great rock album. It contains a DJ battle (Battlestar Scralatchitica), an acoustic radio hit (Drive), a TurnTabled Hard Rock hit (Pardon Me) along with some great love songs scattered about. This music isn't dependent on one person, that is what makes it great. Everyone worked together to make the album awesome, so if you take out on factor of it, the music would not be as great. It proves that one person cannot carry a great band. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd is one of the best male songwriters and vocalists of modern music. He has wonderful range, so he can bust out with some screaming, and make you forget all your problems with his softness. Unlike most rock vocalists, Brandon is a genius with intelligent things to say. He writes poems, and then turns it into a song. His lyrics make the music a wonderful experience to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is my favorite album of all time. It has something for everyone. The music and the songs can match any mood you are in, and the best part of it is that it is really catchy! This album is a mix between "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." and "Morning View". Everything about it is great. This album is what brought me into the music world, so I bought 5 copies of the CD. The lyrics are wonderful, and the accompanying music makes Make Yourself the best CD by them today. Don't download this CD, buy it. If you are stuck listening to the sameness of modern rock, pick up this CD and you will be an Incubus-Fan forever. // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2005

Sound: Well first of all any incubus album has incredeble sound but this one especially. It's cool because in one part of the album its hard fast and heavily but then they can also slow down and make a great slow song as well. Every song is amazing from start to finish. Just the opening of clean and the slow melow greatness of what is I Miss You, I don't think that they could make a better sounding album. Even know all there CDs are amazing but you know. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd is probably one of the best song writing I've had the privelege to listen to. Every song on this CD is overflowing with lyricall genius. I mean I Miss You is all lyrically made and songs like the Warmth which is my personal fav of the band has incredibly good lyrics. I'm asong writer and believe me I would dream of writing something like that. And it just helps that you have one of the best rock vocalist to back you up. I saw him live and man I won't forget it, sounds almost just like the CD, amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I think in my CD collection probably ranking in the top 5 or 10. The Warmth, Consequence, I Miss You, Make Yourself are awesome songs. I don't think there is a thing I hate about this album exept probably the facts that theres only 13 songs on it. I'd definitly by this album if it were stolen, I listen to it at least 2-3 times a week just for the hell of it. If you get a chance to listen to Incubus and especially this album buy it, one of the best finds yet for me. And go see them in concert, amazing I tell you. Incubus rules! // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: lpincubusplayer, on july 23, 2003

Overall Impression: This is the Incubus album that everyone had mixed feelings but. On the one hand they liked the hard stuff on the album like Pardon Me, Out From Under, Make Yourself, and a bunch of others. But this is the album were they started to see Incubus gaining a bit of a soft side with songs like drive, the warmth, and I miss you. But all-in-all they liked the album. It had the same creativity and pizaz as their previous album S.C.E.I.N.C.E.. The Make Yourself CD allowed the band to travel to areas as far as music goes. They got a chance to put a new spin on their previous record. And it turned out for the best for the california rockers. // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2003

Sound: Guitar riffs laced with effects like hell. But it sounds so well. DJ Kilmore is great with the scratches he makes in my opinion. The guitar kicks ass. Mike is such a beast when it comes to that guitar. He knows how to make a great melody and how to write a great song. He writes acoustic hits (drive) and great electric songs. He just is so talented. If you ever get into Incubus, and you like their electric songs, be sure you check out their acoustic ones, for every song they have they almost have an acoustic track for them. Those kick ass too. Man there is just too much I can say about this band. I'm going to stop though. Stop now with anything you are doing and buy this album. // 10

Lyrics: Bradon Boyd. Two words that make up a name that make up one of the best male songwriters/vocalist of this time. He makes you feel what he's saying, and he uses imagery, and metaphors, and all that stuff that you should've learned in English in about 10th grade. His voice? Fits into every song. He can be soft and melodic in tracks like "Stellar," "I Miss You." But then for his other songs, you wouldn't believe it's the same guy sometimes. Most times, his lyrics have a deeper meaning then to what he exposes, and other times there are more then one meaning. I love to listen what this guy has to say. Lets boil it down to that simple statement and be done with it. Have you not stopped to go and buy this album? // 10

Overall Impression: This album. Can you say, "wow?" Incubus deserves so much credit for this album. It really is a good album. I should smack you if you do not yet own this album. I was orignially pulled into Incubus with their track "New Skin" off of S.C.I.E.N.C.E, but this was the first CD I bought of theirs when I started getting into music. And this was by far the best purchase I've made, and it's 2003. I most definately bought this CD right after it came out when I heard the first single Pardon Me. This lead to me tracking down and buying ALL of their other albums. From Fungus Amongus to Live at Lollapalooza 2003 I'm quite sure I have them all. If I lost this CD, I'd buy 100 more to ensure that I'll never be taken away from this CD. If you've read this far, you need to stop everything and go and buy this album. GO. NOW! seriously though, you HAVE to get this album if you like this type of music. // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on august 09, 2004

Sound: Almost the same as S.C.I.E.N.C.E., funk-rock, lots of guitar effects and tons of distortion. I must say though, it's a lot more mellowed-out and "optimistic" than their first CD, rather than just sounding pissed-off (which was one of the awesome things about S.C.I.E.N.C.E, the entire CD rocked from the first track to the last), and has a very Floyd-esque quality to it, which was interesting considering Incubus's sound. Less disc-scratching, but I like it that way. Just a note. Battlestar Scralachtica kicks Magic Medicine's. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Boyd, in my opinion, is definitely among the ranks of legendary singers like Robert Plant and Roger Waters. He can go from screaming to melodic seamlessly. The lyrics are brilliant, once again very Floyd-esque, semi-simple lyrics that are really just metaphors for much larger issues. // 10

Overall Impression: Though it may surprise many people, this can't really be compared to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. - the albums just serve two different "purposes" - this album is for a more mellowed-out crowd, while S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was made for pure rock fans. I love nearly everything about this album, especially the sheer "honesty" it contains - the lyrics can clearly relate to my life, rather than some bands like Linkin Park who choose to sing about all the pain deep inside your heart that you probably don't have. I also love Incubus's awesome decision to end their albums with great rock songs rather than soft, mellow tracks - what rule was written that says you have to always end on a soft note? I think it's a big "screw you" to self-pitying bands like Linkin Park and Evanescence. Even though I may be looking to far into that, I still think it's awesome. This is a great CD that any rock fan should buy and certainly every Incubus fan. Pure awesomeness. // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on october 25, 2004

Sound: Incubus always bring something new to the table for each albulm and Make Yourself is an example of that. Mike Einzinger has some great riffs that got me hooked on every song. Dj Lyfe is the backbone of the sound. His samples bring an eclectic and peaceful state of mind. The mix of the samples and guitar is a match made in heaven. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are always amazing on any Incubus cd. Make Yourself has some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. Brandon Boyd writes some great lyrics. He not only talks about love but about how messed up our society is and how its full of BS. The songs all have great lyrics but the songs that stand out are The Warmth, Stellar, and Make Yourself. Brandon Boyd has an amazing voice. He can sing low or high. He even screams in one song. No body says f--k like Brandon. "F--k me in my own way" sounds so frickin awesome when he says it. // 10

Overall Impression: Make Yourself is one of the best cds I've ever bought. I haven't heard A Crow Left of the Murder yet, but I think Make Yourself is their best cd. Filled with an eclectic sound for being in a state of mind. Brandon Boyd's voice and his lyrics are also a major factor on this cd. A lot of the songs Brandon wrote I can personally relate to. All the songs on this cd are great but my top five would be: Privilege, The Warmth, Stellar, Make Yourself, and Pardon Me. It's a great cd to listen to when you're down and out. Make Yourself is a definite must buy. // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: pefectocean, on january 04, 2005

Sound: Incubus continue to impress me more and more with every album they release. There sound grows and become more original and diverse than ever. This album is a perfect way to show Incubus diversity. There are strait out hard rock masterpieces (Pardon Me, Consequence), slower rock tracks (I Miss You, Stella), DJ scratch battles (Battlestar Scralatchitica) and even acoustics (Drive). If that isn't diversity for you I don't know what is! // 10

Lyrics: I agree with a lot of people I believe that Brandon Boyd is one of the best male songwriters and vocalists of modern music. He has a great vocal range, he can come form nowhere with his screaming and than make you take notice of his softness. Brandon Boyd is such a good songwriter because unlike most bands nowadays he actually has quite intelligent things to say. His lyrics are what drew me towards this album in the first place. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely Incubus's best CD to date. There is something for everyone on it. I believe the best tracks on the album are; I Miss You, Pardon Me, Stella and When It Comes. Again what I like most about this album is its lyrics and its musical diversity, I don't think there is anything I do not like about the album. My copy of Make Yourself was actually dropped and scratched beyond repair. So I immediately went down to my local CD shop and bought another copy because I love it so much! // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: dwnbowden, on march 09, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is incredible mainly because of Mike's guitar. The effects are amazing as well particularly in The Warmth which is the highlight of the album effect-wise. This is a very varied album like you will have very hard songs like When It Comes, then there are pure excellent rock songs like Pardon Me, then there are heart felt slow songs like I Miss You (that is one of my favourite songs of all time). Also there is some quite soft stuff like Drive and then there is an amazing song called Battlestar Scratchlactica where Chris the DJ really shows off his skills. My favourite songs are Pardon Me, The Warmth, Clean, Drive and I Miss You. // 10

Lyrics: Like everyone else who has written a review I think Brandon Boyd is one of the best aingers and lyricists of our time. These are some of my favourite lyrics from the album: Pardon Me - "I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games." I Miss You - "To know that you feel the same as I do is a three-fold utopian dream." Make Yourself - "And if I f--k me, I'll f--k me in my own way." The Warmth - "It's not a breeze because it blows hard and it wants me to discard the humanity I know." Basically this is one of my favourite albums lyrically and Brandon Boyd and Mike Einziger work extremely well together. // 10

Overall Impression: What is amazing about Incubus is that they have never really matured because they were so mature to start off with, they have reinvented themselves slowly but noticeably after every album. This is my favourite Incubus album and that's saying a lot seeing as they are all so incredible especially Morning View. The only bad thing about this album is that some of the songs are a bit too hard for my taste even though you may call me a wimp or something along those lines. My favourite two songs are Pardon Me and I Miss You. If someone stole this I would chop hunt them down with a knife and force them to give it back. I left this album in my cd player for two weeks and I never got sick of listening to it on the way to school. Basically this album is fantastic and I would reccomend it to anyone, even if all they like is Mozart. // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: Neon D-von, on october 08, 2005

Sound: Solid. Mike is the master of guitar distortions and fully displays his abilities in Make Yourself. Dirk Lance is the second best bassist of all time (second only to Flea) and is at his best, though with no standout slap bass. DJ Kilmor's scratches sound amazing and really flow with the music. As always Jose's drumming is intricately intense and Brandon is at his best vocally. // 10

Lyrics: This may be getting a little repetitive after looking at the other reviews but Brandon Boyd really is one of the best rock vocalists and song writers of all time. The lyrics in this album are very thought provoking. They are very original and just well thought out. They go very well with the music and Brandon's voice is dead on. His style of singing changes throughout the CD showing his range and he always sounds amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is easily Incubus's best album and my favorite album of all time. I love every single track on the album and how no two tracks sound completely alike. This is truly a masterpiece of modern rock. If someone stole this album from me, it would be on. I don't know what I'd do if I found the person who did it but it would probably include something painful like repeated crotch kickings. Don't get me wrong, everyone should have Make Yourself but you should support the band and go out and buy it. // 10

Make Yourself Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2008

Sound: One word: perfect. But that's just my opinion. Aside from S.C.I.E.N.C.E., I believe Make Yourself has no flaws. Make Yourself has more of an intense and aggressive mood to it (such as 'Make Yourself' and 'Pardon Me'), yet it also has a softer and mellow side as well (like 'Drive' and 'I Miss You'). One thing I love about Incubus is how you can easily pick out the instruments yet they still all blend perfectly well together. From Dirk's bass lines to Kilmore's samples, you can hear it all. Mike Einziger's guitar riffs are amazing especially in 'The Warmth'. The guitar parts in the last chorus of that song gives me the chills even until now. This is that type of CD that you just can't exactly put into a category, so you'll just have to listen to it for yourself. Once you do, you'll easily be blown away and you'll most likely find a song or two (or perhaps the whole album) that you'll come to love. // 10

Lyrics: I'll definitely say it a million times that Brandon Boyd is one of the greatest singers of all time. His voice is so well-developed that he can easily adapt his voice to fit the mood of the music. None of that annoying whiny sound here! People have also already mentioned that he's a lyrical genius and I can also agree with that 100%. Even if it's a heavy sound or a mellow sound going on in the background, Brandon's voice is so clear that you can understand him and ponder on his thought-provoking lyrics. Overall, the music, Brandon's singing style, and lyrics all fit together well like a puzzle. So not only do you get good music, you get good, meaningful lyrics as well. Nothing gets any better than that. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definitely like no other. In a way, this album is like a mix between S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Morning View, but leaning more towards S.C.I.E.N.C.E. That's not a bad thing because that's just how I love Incubus the most. It's too bad that Dirk left because Incubus honestly was never the same or catchy after that. But that's just my opinion again. The good thing is that this album exists so you get to enjoy it as much as you want. Once again, I love the whole album, but some of the best songs are 'The Warmth', 'Pardon Me', 'When It Comes', 'Out From Under', 'Drive', and 'I Miss You'. If this album was stolen or lost, then I'd go crazy and hurry to the nearest store to buy another one. I don't know what I would do without this CD. // 10

More Incubus reviews rating latest review
+ If Not Now, When? 6.6 02/08/2012