The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move Review

infectious grooves: The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move
Release Date: 1991
Label: Epic
Genres: Heavy Metal, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal
It's funky, it's rocking. It makes you dance and it makes you bang your head.
 9.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move Reviewed by: SuicidalFreak, on may 03, 2007

Sound: Released in 1991, "The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move" is the first album from the funk/thrash metal supergroup Infectious Grooves, made up by Suicidal Tendencies members Mike Muir on vocals and Robert Trujillo on bass. It also had Adam Siegel (of Excel) and Dean Pleasants (who would later join Suicidal) both on guitar and Stephen Perkins (of Jane's Addiction) on drums. "The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move" is an awesome funk/thrash metal album, including my favorite songs like "Punk It Up", "Therapy", "Stop Funk'n With My Head", "You Lie... And Yo Breath Stank" and "Do the Sinister". Not only is it a classic Infectious Grooves album, but it's considered to be part of the "unholy trinity" of funk rock in 1991, along with Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", Fishbone's "The Reality of My Surroundings", Primus' "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" and Living Colour's "Time's Up". // 10

Lyrics: In my opinion, I don't see whether Infectious Grooves' lyrics are really bad or not. The band has always been a strong influence by the 70s funk/soul music scene, citing acts like Kool and the Gang, Funkadelic, Parliament, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and maybe Stanley Clarke (because of Robert Trujillo's bass sounds). Some are hilarious like "why you funk'n with my head" (from "Stop Funk'n With My Head"), "go cyco! go cyco! go cyco!" (from "Punk It Up") or "a goodmouthwash would be a start, cause your breath done smell like your mouth done a fart" (from "You Lie... And Yo Breath Stank"). If you listen to "Therapy", you'll hear Ozzy Osbourne (yes, that dude from Black Sabbath) shout "theapy" in the song. Mike Muir and co. have never failed to write good lyrics to any Suicidal or Infectious Grooves songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I would probably compare this album to either Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" or anything by Bad Brains, Fishbone, Living Colour or Suicidal Tendencies. "The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move" definitely shows that Infectious Grooves had finally found a signature sound that they would follow for the rest of their career as well as Suicidal Tendencies. In fact, I love this album better than the rest of their releases, but I think the follow-up "Sarsippius' Ark" was probably my second favorite album by the band and in my opinion, "Groove Family Cyco" was the last good Infectious Grooves album. I've been introduced to the Venice, California punk/thrash metal scene I heard Suicidal Tendencies' self-titled debut album around '83 or '84 while I was in high school during that time. If the CD copy was lost, I could buy another, but don't worry, I always take good care of my CDs. // 10

More Infectious Grooves reviews rating latest review