Surpassing the Boundaries of Human Suffering Review

ingested: Surpassing the Boundaries of Human Suffering
Released: Jen 22, 2009
Genre: Brutal Death Metal, Deathcore
Label: Siege of Amida Records
"STBOHS" is a slam masterpiece. An almost perfect debut album.
 8.9
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Surpassing the Boundaries of Human Suffering Reviewed by: hatchet130, on june 12, 2013

Sound: I'm going to be honest. The quality of this album isn't amazing. The guitar are barely audible over the bass drum triggers, which are WAY too loud. But after getting past the blaring bass drum, the music IS, in fact, amazing. Ingested uses the brutality of slam death metal to it's fullest, mainly thanks to guitarists Sean Hynes (ex-Annotations Of An Autopsy), and Sam Yates. The guitar sound (again; over the blaring trigger) overall is pretty disgusting, in a good way of course. A lot of delicious, and slammy breakdowns that make you want to punch something. This drummer is insane. He's always going. He using the speed of death metal and the heaviness of deathcore to generate one bomb of a drum track. But going back to the triggers. As I said before they are very loud, but let me be more specific. The high pitch on the triggers make the whole track sound like one large jumble of mess once the drummer picks up his speed. Unless you are a musician who can catch the sound of one instrument, the listener could get annoyed. Because almost EVERY song is like that. But. Overall. The music itself is great. Always heavy, and always going. I love the breakdowns, and I can't get enough of the riffs. // 8

Lyrics: The vocals are very hit and miss with me. I love the sound, but I'm not a really big fan of the way the lyrics are executed. Jason Evans is a pretty talented vocalist, don't get me wrong. But a lot of the songwriting, though very creative, is just a bit too vulgar word wise. From the song "Contorted Perception": "Am I hallucinating, or is my brain just sick? Cos when I f-ck these corpses, I can feel them on my d-ck. From behind the veil of flesh, I can't distinguish, what is real." That's just a bit. There's a lot of cursing, and a lot of references about his penis and raping women. Reading some of these songs almost makes me wonder, why they didn't just call the album "Surpassing the Boundaries of Human Raping". I'd post more, but I want to try and keep this review clean. But if you really want to read some, look them up. Start with "Pre-Released Foetal Mush." But I'm not going to lie I do have some favorites. From "Stillborn": "The will of man is broken, humanity's souls are now forsaken. Tortured and murdered, their bodies torn, apart. Reborn, disgusting, birthed from the essence of the weak. Fulfill the, blind prophecy, and bring the end that's been foreseen. We are salvation, we are damnation, annihilation. This is the end, we are the stillborn." I felt like I was reading Cattle Decapitation. Although... I wasn't. With the powerful lows, Screeching highs, and impressing gutturals. He's defiantly on my "Power House Vocalists" list. The vocals complement the sound of the album splendidly. And even though I'm no fan of the lyrics, that doesn't mean that its not catchy. Every spot the vocals drop on punches you harder than Mike Tyson. As if you're just READY to start a pit. Every breakdown has some kind of catchy vocal rhythm to it. As I said, he's a talented and great vocalist, he's creative, and his imagination is very delightfully disturbing. But the extended use of vulgarity, and little use of extended vocabulary bothers me. I give him an 9 for sound, But I'll give him a 6 for songwriting. // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impression is as followed... F--king Brutal. Every song has some kind of dark feeling listening to it. Almost like the Slam God has taken FULL control over your body. If you're a fan of bands like Dying Fetus, Cattle Decapitation, Thy Art Is Murder, Warfromaharlotsmouth, or Pathology... This album is COMPLETELY recommended. The ridiculousness of the drummer, The catchy riffs and slams, and the sexy demonic mating calls makes this album SPECTACULAR. "STBOHS" is a slam masterpiece. An almost perfect debut album.

// 9