Overgrown Eden Review

9.5
 9.7
 9.3
Overgrown Eden Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 29, 2003

Overall Impression: InMe started their carrier in 2002. Their first single was Underdose, a great song. They have released 2 other songs after this one. Firefly and Crushed Like Fruit. In this album, InMe show their rock side (Natural) and their gentle side (Her Mask(p.a)). The album has twelve songs on it and I can guarentee that you will find something on it that you like. This is one of my greatest albums and if you buy it will be yours too. // 10

Overgrown Eden Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 28, 2004

Sound: There is a general theme throughout this album of distorted chorus and bass verse which works extremely well. The talent of bassist Joe Morgan is quite brilliant. The opening riff for "Underdose" is the first thing you here on this album, and its unbelievable, matched only by the ten second raw scream on "Mosaic" from Dave to bring the album to a close. I think the band were heavily influenced by Nirvana, no doubt about that, but take it that one step further. I love the mix of deep grungy sounds and melodic riffs layered over the top. The album reaches its musical genius in track 11 "Neptune"'s interlude. It raises hairs on the back of youre neck. // 10

Lyrics: The teenage angst lyrics work with the music in a way I have never seen before. Dave's vocal range is astonoshing, changing between pure grunge, heavy metal and the occasional screech only dogs can here! Aparantly Dave wrote all the songs on the album over a period of 8 years, and the lyrics show this. Track 6 "Her Mask" is one of my personnal favourites for lyrics. Here are some other lyrics: - "The rust in my eyes from my corroded halo" "I wish that I could trade these eyes, 'cos now I only dispise my own lies." // 10

Overall Impression: Sad as it is, I have played this cd at least six times a week for 2 years. The melodic vocals, heavy guitars and some of the best drumming I've ever heard make this debut album an absolute classic, I just hope they dont run out of material for further albums. True british talent. Oh and there live performance was unbelievable. // 10

Overgrown Eden Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Sound: Inme use minimal effects and maximum skill for this whole album. Nothing synthesised, just crazy effects pedal settings. Lots off skillful bass playing which appeals to me (being a bassist), and some fairly amazing guitar riffs. Wierd creepy sounds in many songs, like 'Wonuds' and 'Neptune' and some heavier songs too like 'Mosaic' and 'Crushed Like Fruit'. // 10

Lyrics: Vocals are amazing, Dave has a great vocal range from high pitched singing in 'Ice Warm' to raw screaming at the end of 'Mosaic'. Lyrics are ace too, about pretty much everything in life, and somehow Dave gets it all to sound like it rhymes (even when it doesn't). Sometimes british bands fall into the trap of singing in an american accent, but with inme you can clearly tell theyre english. Good layered sounds too as Joe Morgan (bass) provides steady backing vocals throughout the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Possibly the best album I ever got, every song is amazing. Best tracks are 'Neptune' with its crazy bass riffs, 'Mosaic' with its heavy chorus and 5 second long scream, and 'Crushed Like Fruit' with an intro guaranteed to get you in the mood to rock. If I lost this album I'd go straigh into town and buy it again, worth every penny I spent. // 10

Overgrown Eden Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 26, 2006

Sound: This is such a fesh sounding record. The riffage is quite frankly remarkable for a guiartist so young. A mix of monster effects and some superb playing make his style instantly different. The drumming powerful and has some great fills that are remarkable for a person this young. The bassist should also get a mention for some awesome riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics have a very definate 1st album feel, with some corkers ("Wounds," "Underdose," "Mosaic" and "Her Mash") and a couple of slight stinkers ("Firefly" and "Trenches"). The singing is quite impressive, hitting a wide range of notes, including falsetoes and screaming as well as each other. // 9

Overall Impression: I shall now review the album song by song. 01. Underdose - a riffage spectacular and awesome lyrics give a good indicator of what the rest of the album. 02. Firefly - the drumming in this song is explosive and wonderful, the riffs are also very good. Shame the lyrics let the song down though. 03. Wounds - one of the highlights on all accounts, some vicious riffs on guitar and bass, also classy drumming and brilliant singing. 04. Lava Twilight - a vicious riff, possibly this band at their heaviest and a simple but awesome guitar solo. 05. Natural - the haunting whisper of "I know" plus that killer synth opening plus some awesome singing, lots of variety in this song alone with some great high notes and some unbeliveable screams. 06. Her Mask - this is the epic of the album. Slow, haunting riffs sink into the the mind like a slow working poison. 07. Energy - this is not the best song but has the awesome beginning riff that redemes the whole song. 08. Crushed Like Friut - another set of crushing riffs that make moshing at an INME show worthwhile, but this also have some cracking vocals and very good lyrics too. 09. Icewarm - another slow haunting track, with poisonous riffs and awesome lyrics. This band seem to be at thier best when slowed down. The Bassist in particular should also get a mention. 10. Trenches - a little bit uneccesary and really not very good. 11. Neptune - truly stupid lyrics "This is way forward, you are the way back ward. I chose the way forward and left you all behind." But the riffage and the drumming is fabulous. The Slide before the last chorus is the highlight 12. Mosaic - the stunning riff, angry lyrics and even angrier sounding vocals and a head busting guitar solo make this the album highlight, this band work best when they write slow songs but this speed freak is remarkable in that it leaves the listener gagging for more even while it is playing. Overall I am going to give this album a 10, not because it is on the level of "Showbiz" or "Permission To Land" in terms of British debuts but it has got a key figure that many bands miss, the ability to stay around for a very long time. // 10

Overgrown Eden Reviewed by: McKillswitch, on july 14, 2006

Sound: InMe CD, it must mean somthing good, this CD proves that music CAN be different everywhere, to Underdose, To Her Mask (PA) every song sounds different and amazing, thats what I like about InMe. InMe made this album pretty damn well, not one song is bad, The album can be havy, medelioc, soft or even speedy! Every song has a different genre, which InMe use well. The sound on this CD is spurp! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well, wow, there great, every lyric makes good sense, espectilly the lyrics on Underdose, they are great lyrics, possibley the best grunge lyrics ever. Dave Mcpherson is a great Lyricist, every song has great lyrcis. // 10

Overall Impression: Some people may call this album "Emoish", All I can say to them is go to hell, this album has bends of metal, rock, emo even pop in it! It beats every album I know (even Metallica's master of puppets and that's saying somthing). I love this album. The best songs are Underdose, Firefly, Lava Twilight, Crushed Like Fruit, Neptune and Mosaic! Most of them really! I love everything about this album, the Lyrics, The Sound, the cool Artwork, But 2 songs (Her mask (PA), Natural) Could use some work. Thats it really. If this was nicked, id be surprised, thed only get the case, 'cause the disc would be in my radio if it was. // 10

Overgrown Eden Reviewed by: harpcicle, on november 27, 2009

Sound: An album of many interesting songs and sounds, particulary for an alternative post-grunge band with three members alone. The benefit of Overgrown Eden is that every song is distinctive and can be identified immediately, solely by their opening riffs and each of them have at least one type of dynamic to them with Simon making extensive use of drumbeats and rhythms, Joe's exploration of bass scales and fills and Dave's intuitive use of guitar riffs and effect pedals. Some songs blast through on pure adreneline like Underdose and Mosaic, some explore landscape like sounds like Wounds (water), Lava Twilight (warmth) and Icewarm (coldness) and others use dynamic shifts like Firefly and Natural. It's very hard to find the album boring for these reasons but Dave's seemingly uncontrolled nasal sounding vocal tone popping up occasionally in some songs may not be as appealing as the instrumentation but it definitely doesn't set the tone in general for the album as a whole. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on Overgrown Eden may polarise listeners at times when skimming through the songs. Inme seem to be fixed on writing songs based around negative aspects of life (like all good post-grunge bands I guess) but don't stay focused on the same subject like a lame pop group. They sing about heartbreak, despair, acceptance, love and exploration, however while the topics are varied sometimes the lyrics tend to be a bit mundane. Firefly's repetitive chorus of "It's all over now, you killed me" among most of the song is probably the prime example of said lyrics but there are others like in Crushed Like Fruit with lines such as "My dream, to cruise through outer space and feel the breeze" are more meaningful and soulful to appreciate. As for Dave and Joe's vocals, the different harmonies work to a good degree and both singers made extensive use of their respective vocal ranges. As mentioned already, Dave's nasal voice can sound irritating at times but he combines his vocal melodies well with the instrumentation of each song. His intensity reaches a peak on Natural with a bridge containing death growling and screaming high and low pitched and reserves his tone of voice well on softer grungier songs like Icewarm and Lava Twilight. // 8

Overall Impression: 01. Underdose: interesting opener powered by energetic instrumentation. 8/10 02. Firefly: tacky lyrics but cool use of effects and melodies. 7/10 03. Wounds: an underwater sounding ode to self loathing, nice blend of lyrics and music. 8/10 04. Lava Twilight: exceptional instrumentation and dynamics with curious lyrics on loneliness. 10/10 05. Natural: a notable synth intro/outro and bridge section of abrasive lyrics and guitars to an otherwise standard song with dual voice melodies. 8/10 06. Her Mask (p.a): a surprisingly powerful slow song in both lyrics and music that mixes well in dynamics. 9/10 07. Energy: haunting verses over flanger/phaser ladened verses are the most notable aspect of the song along with keyboard sounding vocal line during the chorus. 8/10 08. Crushed Like Fruit: a very riff based song that carries most the silent energy it contains in an abrasive way with some emotion pondering lyrics. 9/10 09. Icewarm: another slowish type song that seems to speak volumes in terms of despair and hurting with the lyrics coupled with cold and empty guitar harmonics and lonely bass lead verses (not as depressing to listen to as it sounds). 9/10 10. Trenches: the pinnicle of calmess on the album that may need patience to listen to with this uber slow number. 6/10 11. Neptune: a distinctive opening riff and a dark atmosphere shroud this one, the lyrics might resemble some weird metaphors for describing angst and heartbreak though. 8/10 12. Mosaic: probably the most energetic song to offer used to close the album, a good headbanger to sign off on. 9/10 It is rare to find an album of such experimentation from a simplistic power trio like InMe, it stands out more than any of their follow up albums for its variety of sound effects and songs dynamics. The band never reached a high enough stage for the amount of talent put into Overgrown Eden but it will remain a cult classic among post-grunge of the 21st centruy for those who are aware of it. I would recommend giving it a listen or even buying it for its Nirvana like sound shifts and progressive but simplistic experimentation, something that seems to be lost on bands nowadays who would rather blend in with the latest big thing than carve a unique and creative sound. // 9

More Inme reviews rating latest review
+ The Pride 9.1 02/21/2012