Won't Let Go [Single] Review

7.3
 9.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Won't Let Go [Single] Reviewed by: whatamidoinhere, on august 20, 2007

Sound: With most three piece bands, you'd think that the bass would play a big part in the sound, and this has always been true with InMe. Although with this song, new bassist Greg McPherson makes less of an impact than I expected. The sound has suffered from the loss of Joe Morgan, and while the bass parts remain technically very good, they don't seem to have the same passion as in earlier songs. On the plus side, Simon Taylor on drums is on form as usual, using his speed to keep the song going, and slowing it down towards the end, ading more power to the final chorus. Also, the dual guitar used in recording really beefs up the sound. You can Dave has improved greatly in the way he uses his guitar and voice, possibly as a result from his side projects where he experiments in other styles of music. // 7

Lyrics: InMe are fairly well known for having lyrics that can be given really any meaning, and this detatchment is a good trademark of their sound. However with this new song, the lyrics could get repetitive for some. The best thing about them is the anthem-like feel of the chorus "Won't let go, never gonna let go, pity you should say cause it never really means a thing." This really fits with the driving force behind the song, making it a simple, yet very effective chorus. And as I've said before, you can hear the improvement in Dave's voice; he's using the full range of his voice more confidently, but keeping the old growling style of previous albums. // 7

Overall Impression: My first impression of this song was that it simply didn't measure up to the singles from White Butterfly, but after listening to it more to write this review, you can see definite comparisons to songs like Faster the Chase. At points I also heard some similarities to Fall Out Boy, which was somewhat of a turn off for me. I think this is mostly down to a cleaner, less grungey sound than in old songs. The single was enough to make me pre-order the album, so I am expecting good things from them. But overall, it's a good, forceful song that most fans would enjoy. It has a cleaner sound than older albums, but you can still see their old roots and influences in the music. // 8

More Inme reviews rating latest review
+ The Pride 9.1 02/21/2012