Shadows Of The Dying Sun Review

insomnium: Shadows Of The Dying Sun
Released: Apr 25, 2014
Genre: Melodic Death Metal
Label: Century Media
The beauty of this album is found in the group's ability to follow their trademark songwriting formula and craft it to the highest degree of quality we have heard from them in years.
 9.1
 9.1
review (1) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this album:
Shadows Of The Dying Sun Reviewed by: Tap Master, on may 06, 2014

Sound: There is no denying the quality of the vast, immense soundscape held within this album. It is classic Finnish melodic death metal, produced with that wall-of-sound force we all love. Especially notable is the influence from Omnium Gatherum guitarist Markus Vanhala, whose melodic riffing complements Insomnium's sound infallibly. Fans will relish the return of the classic "Above the Weeping World" formula with songs like "Revelation" and "While We Sleep." Enthusiasts of the "Ephemeral" EP, be prepared for a treat: the record features a different version of the track "Ephemeral," which does not stray far from the original but adds a somewhat different taste. Where "One For Sorrow" played it safe and stuck to a more cohesive theme throughout the entire record, "Shadows of the Dying Sun" has a broader sense of variation and isn't afraid to venture into other genres (slight ambient/black metal influence, anyone?).

As far as the music goes, the guitar riffs are still killer, and coupled with the accompanying keyboard parts, you will get exactly what you expect from this band. In addition, the balance between the brutal songs such as "Revelation" and the more ballad-like "Lose to Night" makes for a perfect blend of emotions, so don't expect to get bored with this record any time soon. // 10

Lyrics: "Shadows of the Dying Sun" features the same poetic lyrics one would expect from Insomnium. Not ground-breaking, but not bad either. Fitting for the style, graceful for the sound, and thought-provoking for the mind are their words. With pieces like "Revelation," we are greeted with writing such as "I hear the unsaid thoughts, The silence through the storm, I speak without the words, With unbound soul." The lyrics flow easily with the music and are even goose-bump-inducing at times. Particularly intriguing is the presence of a little more clean vocals than usual, which more than anything adds to the variation of their approach. Finally, the harsh growls have not yet and still will not disappoint with their brutality and frequency of use. // 8

Overall Impression: I have good news and great news. The good news is we have been blessed with yet another Insomnium record. The great news? It is the best album since "Above the Weeping World" - and maybe even better.

This is not to say that Insomnium have evolved their sound into some flawless, inventive genre that will revolutionize the Finnish metal scene. No, the beauty of this album is found in the group's ability to follow their trademark songwriting formula and craft it to the highest degree of quality we have heard from them in years. For a band of their caliber, it is safe to expect such a result.

You might have noticed that I mentioned "Revelations" numerous times. I would consider it an undeniable album highlight, along with "While We Sleep," "Ephemeral" and, hell, there isn't a single song on here that I don't like. If it were stolen, I'd buy eight more copies. Don't sit around pondering - if you like this band, you'll love this album. Guaranteed. // 9

More Insomnium reviews rating latest review
+ Ephemeral [EP] 7.6 10/25/2013