The Incurable Tragedy Review

into eternity: The Incurable Tragedy
Released: Sep 2, 2008
Genre: Progressive Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Power Metal
Label: Century Media
The Incurable Tragedy is the fifth full-length studio album by the Canadian progressive death metal band Into Eternity. The album was released on August 25, 2008 in Europe through Century Media Records.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.7
 7.2
The Incurable Tragedy Reviewed by: nelliehart {inf, on november 20, 2008

Sound: Well... if you've been a long term Into Eternity fan, you see that a lot has changed about their music since the replacement of Chris Krall with Stu Block. As a matter of fact, with only one original (and the founding member, surprise, surprise) it's shocking to one that the band itself, muchless it's vision, didn't crumble into nothing-ness and fade out like most bands do. Now, I'm not going to lie; when I had a first listen to Scattering of the Ashes, it was like tasting a familiar candy only to recieve the foul taste of what the f--k. Honestly, I hated Stu Block. His voice wasn't inviting, nor did it appear to sound as inviting as Krall had done. In fact, I'd accepted him as a wanna-be, a simple ghost of the real monster. But keeping an open mind, and forcing myself to remember that they aren't the same and are bound to be different (not to mention that they could careless what I have to say), I sucked it up and listened. I liked it, but I didn't absolutely love it. Great, I thought, they're watered down. Another good and for me to have years of old songs and only a handful to show today. This was my exact thought, until I heard The Incurable Tragedy. // 7

Lyrics: Who isn't reluctant when they first hear a new CD? Me. I believe a true fan will definitely give new material from a beloved band a listen, and listen to it a couple of times more if it doesn't pick up as soon as it's played. And in being true to my hateful self, this was going to be one of those CDs until I listened to "Indignation" There was something in the lyrics, like they relly had a specific story to tell, (Fade away into the dark of the night/Soon will never feel the sun upon my face/ Lift away this burden that plagues me/ Indignation) and it was depressing, deep and dark, but unlike that "thirty year old man writing 16-year old-girl feelings into lyrics and then slapping them to nice background music" sort of way. I actually felt heavy. And was happy I started from the middle, because I found "Prelude to Woe" annoying, and when I first heard it, I was almost turned off from listening to the album period. After listening to all three of the title track's songs (yes three, can you believe it? My ignorant side quickly blurted out "who the f--k needs to get the main idea of something three times over? What are you, seven? The nerve!"), it didn't take long for me to realize they were writing about a disease that killed people they knew and/or loved, and that the dates next to the aforementioned songs were dates of deaths for three people.The Incurable Tragedy of September 21, 2006, was vague, but heart-wrenching. It scared me a bit. You can sense the fear of someone coming to terms with their eventual and soon death. Admit it: no one wants to die in a hospital, especially if they've been trapped in there repeatedly for long periods of time. You feel like your missing out on what used to be a burden of normal life. These feeling are also carried out in "Spent Years of Regret", in which the lyrics may message that one doesn't realize the time they're wasting trying to fix things they've done wrong until they realize that time is limited. Meanwhile, "Time Immemorial" both in sound and lyrics, took me back to "Buried in Oblivion/Black Sea of Agony". // 7

Overall Impression: Now, unlike their other albums, there is an actual plot in place of anecdotes of personal struggles. They're faster than before, that's for damn certain. And, for an album that is mainly focused on the hardships of cancer and infinite death, it was the first time I didn't roll my eyes and say "here we go again, sad, drippy, what the hell." The music actually made it's point without losing the audience in a blur of boredom or confusion. By the way, what first sounds annoying will become a part of the story and grow on you after a while. It's been a long time since I've listened to a band's new CD, and thought "Wow, gotta play that like ten more times" and not get sick of it tomorrow, next week, or in months time. The Incurable Tragedy has what previous CDs from Into Eternity and most band lack when making a record--longevity.(I only interrupt to say the CD I am mentioning is Buried in Oblivion. I dropped that album on it's ass and didn't listen to it again until what, last year? And even still I only listen to five songs.) Why write anything if people aren't going to be playing it repeatedly? talking about it? Being able to say to their friends "Sit down, man, you have to listen to this.". I haven't felt like this since the first time I picked up a Bjork track, or watched the video for "Where the Slime Live" They have also broken the code for writing a concept-based album without being drab or making jokes out of a serious situation. Again Something that many bands can't avoid doing. In fact giving you a recommendation of songs would kind of rob them of suspense. However, no excitement would be lost if you happened to give "Time Immemorial", "Spent Years of Regret","Tides of Blood" and "The Incurable Tragedy" trifecta a listen. Like I said before, you should probably skip "Prelude to Woe" or succumb to annoying guitar screeching for no reason. Or at least skip it until you get used to liking the rest of it. Maybe you'll love it. Seriously, I would never lend it to anyone. It's one of those CDs that you push on people to spend they're money on, whereas they could just easily download it for free (which I usually encourage--I mean, why should you spend almost twenty dollars of your money to be disappointed? Have you seen the economy today? No.) The artwork is distracting, and doesn't seem like it has much to do with anything the music is elating, and I hate any shade of reds and greens together, but do not let that deter you. It's sad, really that it took them so long to come out with something this good, but the timing is perfect, and you'd probably deem the end result worth all the losses. // 9

The Incurable Tragedy Reviewed by: aenimafist, on january 23, 2009

Sound: The first and only record I had of this band was Scatterng of Ashes. That CD was flawless so I was really excited when I purchased this record. Little did konw that I was in for a surprise! Into Eternity made an excellent comeback (not really but follow up) with Incurable Tradgedy: a drum-driven, riff-filled adventure about the crappiness of cancer. This is the first concept album I have bought in a while so I was relieved to see a story in the lyrics. Along with Tim and Stu writing some of the best lyrics from the band, the music itself was very impressive as well. Into Eternity integrated their trademark time signature shifts while maintaining balance during each song. The guitar tone is superb. // 10

Lyrics: Stu Block has one of the coolest names of all singers in metal and his voice is just as cool as his name. Stu rips out the vocals like no other with his ability to reach falsetto pitches and still be able to drop down to the low growl. He reminds me a little of King Diamond minus the corpse paint, cape, spiders, vampires, and halloween. 01.Prelude to Woe: another Into Eternity intro but this time with beautiful acoustic guitars and harmonies. Not long enough to have an opinion but the best intro from the band yet. 02.Tides of Blood: very traditional guitar riff to start off but the off-beat vocal parts in the verse are what really drive this song. 8/10 03.Spent Years of Regret: quite reminiscent of Scattering of Ashes yet with a modernized touch. Not the best on the record but definately woth a listen. 6/10 04.Symptoms: this track has a very cool opening riff that makes it sound like the song will be in 12/8 but it remains in a fast four feel. This is a very necessary transition track into what might be the best song on the record. 7/10 05.Diagnosis Terminal: holy crap. Diagnosis may be one of the best songs from this band yet right up there with Nothing and Eternal. Although the only line in the first verse is "Diagnosis Terminal," it breaks into an epic (sorry) chorus that is a kick to sing along to. 9.5/10 06.Incurable Tragedy I: as one of the ballads on the record this track has big shoes to fill. It succeeds and really adds onto the storyline of the CD. 8/10 07.Indignation: one of the heavier tracks of the record Indignation also has a very strong set of riffs and another anthematic chorus. 8/10 08.Time Immemorial: easily the second best song on the record. What makes this track work is Steve's precision drumming and by far his best performance ever on an Into Eternity record. 9/10 09.The Incurable Tragedy II: not the best of the three title tracks but along the same lines as Spent Years of Regret: worth a listen: 6/10 10.Black Light Ending: this song is very sad but it has a powerful riff which supports the track. This might be one of the lowest songs though. 11.One Funeral Hymn For Three: this is an excellent song to be a prelude for the album ending track. One of the better filler songs on this record. 7.5/10 // 10

Overall Impression: With the band's most ambitious release to date, Incurable Tragedy is definitely right up there with Scattering of Ashes although it may not quite be as good. It ranks well though with every heart-pounding moment of the record ready to blow your head off. I watched the video for the song Time Immemorial and it is very well done with creepy imagery and excellent stage presence of the band so if you have this record or are going to buy it check that out too. The best songs are Incurable Tragedy Pt. 1, Diagnosis Terminal, Time Immemorial, and Indignation. Saskatchewanians are amazing. Anyhow, this CD is incredible. // 9

More Into Eternity reviews rating latest review