Our Endless Numbered Days Review

iron and wine: Our Endless Numbered Days
Release Date: Mar 23, 2004
Label: Sub Pop
Genres: Alternative Singer/Songwriter, Indie Rock, Lo-Fi
Our Endless Numbered Days is very subdued, thoughtful, melodic, and downright beautiful album and the new sound is more of a progression than a sudden shift in values, production or otherwise.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
Our Endless Numbered Days Reviewed by: xTheJoeex, on february 18, 2008

Sound: The second full-length album by Sam Beam catches at the heart and soul. It's more than amazing. It's more than brilliant. Iron And Wine's songs are very catchy. I can't get them out of my head after I listen to one. Especially the heading track "On Your Wings". Sam Beam, the man behind the music of Iron And Wine, is a modern day, music genius. The entire album itself keeps you attached throught the entire thing. His songs talk about faith, or love, or loss, or death. Which is a great thing to go from something like loving his daughters to something like war. Our Endless Numbered Days is a little boring at times, but it shouldn't keep you from purchasing this album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Iron And Wine are perfect. The way they flow along with the acoustic guitar is so free and calming. Sam Beam's voice is pure amazement. Best example of his amazing talent is showed in the ending track, "Passing Afternoon". I get chills often from that song. His lyrics are witty at time, and faithful at others. Overall, the lyrics of Iron And Wine are simply brilliant and breath-taking. // 10

Overall Impression: It's strange to me that Iron And Wine's acoustic, country, indie sound came from Miami, Florida. I wouldn't expect such a great sound like this to come from that city. Overall, this album is a must buy! Everything about it is awesome. "On Your Wings", "Sunset Soon Forgotten", and "Passing Afternoon" are the must listen to tracks from Iron And Wine's sophomore release. // 10

Our Endless Numbered Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2008

Sound: Beauty, it seems, can come in the simplest of forms. Everyones favourite one man army, Sam Beam, aka Iron & Wine, knows this. He has created a masterpiece "difficult second album" while staying nicely in his comfort zone, which, turns out, is highly effective. He has written 12 more acoustic gems, some of which can be boring, but the majority of which can soothe even the angriest of minds. // 9

Lyrics: Sam Beam is a very modest genius. He writes these simple, formulaic songs that you'd expect wouldn't work for any normal singer songwriter, and pulls them off with grace. His lyrics rely heavily on metaphors (and good ones too) but often cover the simplest of subjects. The pretty little stories that he weaves blend perfectly with the soft fingerpicked guitar and his angelic, soft voice. don't be fooled by the album's slightly repetetive opener "On Your Wings", a song which in my opinion drags on a little too much. Luckily it's followed up by an album highlight, "Naked As We Came". This bouncy little track, for me, set the standard of what I like Iron & Wine songs to sound like- happy. On the nearly six minute long "Cinder and Smoke", it seems forced. It could've been a good song, had it only been 3 or 4 minutes long, but Sam seems insistant on dragging it on, and on, and on. Other highlights for me include "Each Coming Night" and "Passing Afternoon." // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, I love this album. It is the most relaxing thing to listen to, and Sam Beam's beautiful tales have the abilty to transport you to wherever he chooses to set them. Bar tracks 1 and 3, the album has a very optimistic sound to it. The heavily metaphorical lyrics leave a lot to the imagination, further enabling to you to be transported away as you try and figure them out. Most importantly, this album evokes feeling, isn't that what music is about? // 10

More Iron And Wine reviews rating latest review