The Shepherd's Dog Review

iron and wine: The Shepherd's Dog
Release Date: Sep 25, 2007
Label: Sub Pop
Genres: Indie Rock, Alternative Singer/Songwriter
2007's The Shepherd's Dog goes a long way toward validating all the attention I&W have been getting.
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
review (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
The Shepherd's Dog Reviewed by: wiggyisgreat, on december 13, 2007

Sound: My first impression of this album was a very good one indeed. The intensity off all the songs combined with the amount of instruments perfectly fitting together and Sam Beam's unique voice gave me an impression that this was one of the best albums's I've listened to. It's quite difficult to describe the music in a genre, it's not folk, perhaps indie folk, but it is just generally beautiful. There's so many layers of instruments you can listen to the song a hundred times and still hear new parts. Amazing. // 10

Lyrics: I tend not to focus too much on the lyrics of artists and their songs, but Iron and Wine certainly caught my eye. Song's such as "Resurrection Fern", "Boy With A Coin" and "White Tooth Man" have such deep lyrics, I feel I can relate to them, and they're very creative and metaphorical. Beautiful lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that it's one of Sam Beam's best efforts, perhaps more manufactured sounding in that it doesn't have the lo-fi tone like the album "The Creek Drank The Cradle", but nonetheless extremely good. If I lost this album I would most definitely go to buy it again. // 10

More Iron And Wine reviews rating latest review