Brave New World Review

9.3
 9.5
 9.1
Brave New World Reviewed by: ooblah, on january 31, 2005

Sound: This is one of my personal favorite albums by Iron Maiden. Every CD by Maiden has a sound to all there songs, its like an emotion or story. This record is amazing and I would give it a definite 5. The lyrics and the sound that came across really struck me as amazing. To me, it has a soft tone under a heavy flow. It's hard to say, but it's definitly amazing and I must have to any Maiden fan. // 10

Lyrics: This album was written as usual by Steve Harris, but in the midst of writing it, his father died. "Blood Brothers" is the song he wrote for his dad, but I think the feeling comes across in a lot of the other songs too. The lyrics are very expressive and very powerful, and flow really well. Harris has always wrote good lyrics, but I think he really took it upon himself to write good lyrics for this CD. // 8

Overall Impression: They did a perfect job of keeping the same great tone through all the songs, but yet each one sounds different than the last. "Brave New World" and "Blood Brothers" expresses a more "soft tone" so to speak, and "The Mercenary" and "Fallen Angel" has that rough hard sound that you blow your speakers with. Some songs run a bit long, but if you think the song is good, then your set. This is a kick ass CD and I would give two thumbs up to anyone who is considering to buy it. If you want a true insight listen to it yourself and make your own review. Rock on. // 10

Brave New World Reviewed by: stylee311, on december 11, 2003

Sound: One of Maiden's best in terms of creative rhythms, wailing solos, slow melodic gems and fast, heavy, headbanging intros. With the return of Adrian Smith, Iron Maiden has 3 guitarists, and Bruce Dickinson is also back on this album. The first song on the CD, "The Wicker Man", is kind of iffy, though. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics very well match their accompanying music. At points Dickinson is yelling when the guitars get fast and heavy and sings very melodically when the guitars and drums become so. // 10

Overall Impression: Reminds me a lot of Powerslave. Has everything a Maiden fan could ask for..heavy songs such as "The Thin Line Between Love And Hate", fast songs such as "The Mercenary", melodies such as "Blood Brothers" and "Brave New World", and a little bit of it all in "Dream of Mirrors". Would buy over just about any Maiden album if given the chance. // 10

Brave New World Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2004

Sound: Absolutely Brilliant sound from all three guitarists, every track that has an intro is fantastic. The Drums are great and Bruce Dickinson's voice is truly amazing and frankly quite creepy. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are absolutely great, sounding scary and packed full of words that you don't need to understand to enjoy, The Wicker Man and The Ghost of the Navigator reminded me of The Number of the Beast because of their gripping lyrical content. I love how Dickinson can almost scream when a song is at it's best. My only problem with the lyrics is that a lot of the words are repeated from different songs from this album and from previous maiden albums. // 8

Overall Impression: The only song that appeared on the Greatest was the Wicker Man which really is a shame because almost every track is worthy of being in it. My personal favourite is Blood Brothers which has probably the best tone in a guitar I have ever heard and has a phenomenal build up to its chorus. Another great track is dream of Mirrors. The Nomad is rather pointless but it has a good enough tune to it. Brave New World could definetly compete with other Iron Maiden albums. The cover of the album is awesome and shows eddie as a spirit over the futuristic London sky. If you havent already bought this CD I would recomend that you do immediately because your losing out on some really decent music. It is well worth the cash! // 10

Brave New World Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2004

Sound: The album begins with the heavy riffs in The Wickerman (1st. single on the album) and after hearing the whole song, you can't complain. No, the sound is amazing, crisp and clean. All 3 guitarists really have done amazing work on this album, the solos, riffs and licks are just too good. Killer tracks on the album are the already mentioned The Wickerman, Ghost Of The Navigator, The Nomad, the melodic Blood Brothers and the title track. But almost every song is great here. // 10

Lyrics: Really amazing lyrics here, Steve Harris really shows his songwriting skills on Blood Brothers which is the best track on the album. The other songs have great lyrics too, with the exception of Dream Of Mirrors, I don't get the point in this one. The singing is just damnf--kingunbelivable! Bruce Dickinson is one of the greatest singers alive and really does amazing work on this one. // 10

Overall Impression: Brave New World is one of my favorite albums with Iron Maiden, along with Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. It's really amazing how these guys still make fantastic music. So what else to say, if you like Iron Maiden or metal music at all go get this one immeadetly! // 10

Brave New World Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on may 29, 2006

Sound: Brave New World is the most catchy album of Iron Maiden. It is nowhere close to the class of Number Of The Beast, but nonetheless it is great in its own right. This is the sort of album that remains in ones mind for hours. It has the tunes, solos, lyrics, and everything one needs actually for a perfectly decent album. One should not compare all of Maiden's album to the Number Of The Beast, Brave New World is in fact one of my favourite Maiden albums. // 9

Lyrics: The backbone of all Maiden albums in my opinion is the lyrics and needless to say the lyrics in all of maiden's albums go with the brilliant solos and drums. The greatest thing about all of their lyrics are that they manage to paint an image with their words, which is actually really effective. This album is nowhere close to their previous albums as far as lyrics are concerned but tracks like Blood Brothers still have the power in words. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a great album, and is an album for Maiden lovers, collecters, or for those who are about to rock! If you ask me you better go out and grab this album as it has something in it for everyone. // 9

Brave New World Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 31, 2006

Sound: The Return of Adrian Smith and Bruce Dickinson signalled a massive return to form for British Metal giants Iron Maiden. This also signalled the return of harmonies in the guitaring. Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Janick Gers play completly differnt things but they seem to blend in so perfectly that is sounds like every guitar player is playing exactly the same. Steve Harris once again shows his blistering fingering ability. Nicko Mcbrain's excess of drums also adds alot to the slightly prog rock sounds of this album. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce's return was spectacular on so many levels. Firtsly The worlds best singer was sounding better than ever with more higher voices and better lower tones. Secondly, Adrian Smiths backiing vocals had also got better. His lyrics were also very good, ranging from the stories of "The Nomad" to the battle cry of "The Mercenary", the mind loss of "Dream of Mirrors" and the memory of Steve Harris's dad(who died while they were writting the album) in "Blood Brothers". They are all genius and display a maturtiy that is rare amoung any song writters. // 10

Overall Impression: Wickerman is the album opener with that genius opening riff displaying everything Iron Maiden stands for in a few short seconds. The solo, which is by Adrian Smith in this case, is one of his and Iron Maiden's best yet. Ghost Of The Navigator is the album low point but it is still a very good song with one of those massive midsong riffs that make this band who they are and blistering solo by Janick Gers. The Title Track has a mix of guitar sounds not seen since "Only The Good Die Young" from Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. This is the first real harmony line in the album and it is a masterful track on the part of Dave Murray in particular with some awesome soloing and that cool chorus fill. Blood Brothers was written by Steve Harris alone and is a masterpeice of crunchy riffs, soft melody lines and couple of blazing Janick Gers guitar solos. The Mercenary is the albums thrashy track with absolutly no let up in the fast and furious pace of the song. The Solos by Dave and Adiran are amazing in thier difference yet fitting together, just like peices of a jigsaw and Nicko is also very impressive. Dream Of Mirrors is really long at 9 minutes, but it really needs to be because it is the song that displays everything that the album is about, from the soft bits and the hard galloping rhythms, to the huge choruses and masterful harmonies. The Fallen Angel is so heavy it hurts and because of that it is one of my personal favourite songs on the album. The crunching intro, which is impressive on all levels, the massive first riff and the massive guitar solos displays Adrian Smith's ability to write a really mean, angry sounding but simple Metal song. The Nomad is beautiful, hard and thought provoking at the same time but the entire middle bit is, although wonderful, completly unnecesaryily long. The rest of the song has a very cool eastern feel to it. Out Of The Silent Planet is not big, or smart but enormously catchy and good fun to listen to earning it the titile of the albums "Run To The Hills": The "poppy" song. The Thin Line between Love and Hate is epic, no other words can describe it. The solos are memorable, the choruses large and the lyrics very thought provoking, which is what all music should be really. Overall this is a truly great record with huge guitar playing by all 3 guitarist and simple but excellent bass playing. Also the singing is truly majestic and the drumming is challenging to play but nice to listen to. The Best songs are Wickerman, Brave New World, Dream of Mirrors, Fallen Angel and The Nomad. Although the other 5 tracks are so awesome it can be called the most complete album until the bands next offering "Dance Of Death". // 10

Brave New World Reviewed by: quacco, on july 23, 2007

Sound: This was the First Iron Maiden album I listened to. This gave me a great impression of what a powerful and spectacular metal band. It marked the retured of beloved maiden singer Bruce Dickinson. The original guitarist Dave Murray also returned. This album also intruduced their newest guitarist Janik Gers. The opening track "The Wicker Man" which contained great metal style guitar and the Bruce Dickinsons fantastic Pipes, the formula that gets you hooked inot listining to this album. The sound in the album is one of the most obvious iron maiden sounds around. You can without a doubt tell that it's them. This is one of the big metal albums of the 21st century. // 10

Lyrics: I personally think that Bruce dickinson has one of the best voice in the 21st century. In this album each song tells a specacular story of death, mischef, adventure, and many more. The lyrics are memorable and are clear and easy to understand. Bruce still has the ability to sing like he did in the 80s on maidens highly successful albums of the time. This album has some of the best lyrics for any maiden album around. Each song tells a different story. // 9

Overall Impression: This albumis at the top of the maiden quality albums that will go down in metal history as a classic. I will alway keep my copy. The best song are Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Blood Brothers, Dream Of Mirrors and Out Of The Silent Planet. Though the rest of the songs are fantastic and well done. This is one of the big metal albums of the 21st century. // 10

Brave New World Reviewed by: jup, on january 08, 2008

Sound: Brave New World is an exciting new album of Iron Maiden's, they're first of the new millennium. More of a fast paced album, every single song on Brave New World is complex and fun to listen to. If you thoroughly listen to this album, you'll fall in love with each and every song for a few days. Although Bruce Dickinson has gotten much older, his voice is still very much the same. You can tell in parts he can't quite squeeze out what he used to do in albums such as Number of the Beast, but he still can do his piercingly high singing, a good example is the song "Thin Line Between Love and Hate." Iron Maiden keeps it's unique sound on this album, but it seems to have a slight shift towards more modern rock. But believe me, it still has incredible vocals, great guitar riffs and excellent solos that you can hardly compare to any modern rock. // 9

Lyrics: Bruce Dickinson may as well be one of the best singers in existence. Although Steve Harris (the bassist) does most of the lyrical work, Bruce shows he has an excellent ability to express emotion when he sings and makes his lyrics become real when you listen to them. Most of the lyrics are about stories, which cause some of the songs to be rather long, but hey, that's a good thing if you like them right? "Wicker Man" is probably the most catchy song of this album and the chorus has a simple, but powerful sound that you'll want to hear over and over again. Bruce Dickinson works his singing to perfection in this song, and you can tell when the lyrics are angry, sad or even happy, just by the way he sings it. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Wicker Man - the first song off of the album and it sure gives you a ride! The booming chorus in this song is very catchy and the interlude/solo is fairly simple, but all the instruments combine to make a great upbeat riff. 02. Ghost Of Navigator - one of their longer songs, and has good lyrics that tells a good story. Probably one of their better songs off of the album. 03. Brave New World - has the same feel as "Ghost of Navigator" and I actually feel a connection with this two songs, as if they could have been combined into one. 04. Blood Brothers - this song is full of amazing guitar riffs, and has a slow calm feeling as you listen to it. It's a very different song compared to the rest of their songs on this album. 05. The Mercenary - you'll absolutely love the lyrics in this song. The entire song isn't the best, but the vocals are excellent. 06. Dream Of Mirror - one of their best long songs, coming in at 9:21. It starts out slow, but slowly builds into a powerful course and an awesome bridge/interlude that makes you want to head bang until you're brain dead, oh and did I mention this song contains one of Iron Maiden's best solos? 07. Fallen Angel - fast paced song with a strong bass line in the background. The vocals are a little out of pattern compared to other Iron Maiden songs, but other than that it's a great song. 08. The Nomad - a Middle Eastern sounding song, and just builds and builds as the song continues. 09. Out Of The Silent Planet - has a great guitar riff that you'll want to learn the first time you hear it. The vocals are amazing on this song as well, telling a great story and Bruce really demonstrates his ability to make his lyrics sound as if he's actually experiencing what's going on. 10. Thin Line Between Love And Hate - this song has a fairly slow tempo, but nonetheless, is a great song. Sometimes when you're sad and down you need to hear that song that makes you just feel good again, and this is a perfect song for that. Overall this album is amazing. One of Iron Maiden's best releases I think. Nobody over does their job on whatever they're playing and it makes for a great recording of Iron Maiden's symphony of instruments. // 9

Brave New World Reviewed by: Naturalchampion, on april 07, 2011

Sound: What can I say? I can say beautiful. The entire album is composed of some absolutely amazing riffs. It has some of the most amazing melodic sounds I've heard in the last 15 years. I feel that this album shines brightest with its more mellow tracks, especially the ones that evolve into something heavier. The "pure metal" tracks just seem to be a little bit more rushed, but still a great listen worthy of any music fans ears. // 9

Lyrics: If Iron Maiden is known for one thing, it would probably be the images they can paint in your head witha a few simple lines of singing, and that is exactly what many of these tracks do for me. Everybody who knows anything in the world of metal knows Bruce dickinson, and he is a very respected for his amazing musical talents. He does not dissapoint. My only complaint with the lyrics would be that oftenly they dumb it down by reaping the same verse for a minute when it's very complete already. // 9

Overall Impression: I might have to say that this is one of my favorite Iron Maiden albums so far. It has some of my favorite Iron maiden songs such as The Wicker Man and Brave New World. No Iron Maiden fan, or any real metal fan would be complete without this album in their collection. I almost everything about this album. In fact, I've owed it for years, I get a new album of something every couple of weeks, and this is still what I listen to alot. // 9

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review