Dance Of Death Review

9.1
 8.9
 9.2
Dance Of Death Reviewed by: ibanez6soad, on january 08, 2004

Sound: This album does not really have a unique sound to it. It's just plain classic, almost-lame metal. But the one thing that is holding this band up is the skill of their instrumentalists. Iron Maiden have extremely good guitarists. The solos and some of the riffs on this album are incredible, but the bass is not. The bass lines are typical and a little boring, not showing the true skill and creativity of their bassist. Iron Maiden aren't very creative at all on this album, but the guitarists are astounding. // 8

Lyrics: This is the big reason why I do not like this album. I cannot stand the lyrics. Here's a taste of what the big Maiden-heads are praising:

I'm gonna organise some changes in my life, I'm gonna exorcise the demons of my past
I'm gonna take the car and hit the open road, I'm feeling ready to just open up and go

I'm on my way, Out on my own again
I'm on my way, Out on the road again

Now before you start chanting "Maiden rocks!" read those lyrics to yourself and honestly say that bands haven't been using that same crap over and over again throughout the history of rock'n'roll. I gave this category a three only because Bruce Dickinson has a good classic metal singing voice. // 6

Overall Impression: I am surprised that Iron Maiden are still around. The guys are veterans of rock music. They could dish out anything to their fans and they'll love it. Their guitar playing only gets better with time. I know that these guys are really good, but I just get bored out of my mind listening to this CD. After #1, "Wildest Dreams," the one with the amazing lyrics shown above, I thought this CD was gonna be alright. Then I listened to #2, "Rainmaker," and got the same feeling. Then things went downhill. I guess I'm just not a true Maiden-head. You gotta respect the guys, but the album was kinda dry. // 6

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on october 18, 2004

Sound: Iron Maiden recorded this album in 2003, and they still sound like they did in the 80's! Pure brilliance. I couldn't stop talking about it ever since I got it yesterday! One thing extremely unique on the album is that it has a great deal of orchestration and an almost Arabic-style vibe too, especially in "No More Lies" and "Dance Of Death". The rhythm guitar really tuned down heavy on the song "Montsegur". There were other powerful songs such as "Wildest Dreams", "Rainmaker", and the graceful epic "Paschendale". I believe the most liveliest was "Montsegur". "Journeyman" is a 7-minute song with an acoustic, and it is real cool. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce Dickinson sings as well as freakin' ever on this album. Its real strong how he sings on "Montsegur". He blew me away on "Dance of Death", and he sounds like he always does (brilliant) on "Wildest Dreams", I like how he sings on "Rainmaker", which got my attention. The lyrics to "Paschendale" are about an epic war, and the music goes along well with the singing. I love the chorus, but I regret he only sang it twice. About the song "Age Of Innocence". This song recieved either extremely high praises or a big amount of criticism. This is one of the songs which talks of the real world, and people commonly think it political. Even I thought it was, but I found out that the songs are about Steve Harris' personal views on problems on the United Kingdom. (He and Dave Murray wrote the song). good thing, now I can listen to and like that song in peace. // 10

Overall Impression: I just couldn't resist the opportunity to buy it when I saw it in the store and happened to have enough money to buy it. I couldn't stop listening to "Dance of Death". That splendid guitar work around 3:00 is a masterpiece. "Paschendale" is a song I will never forget. One of the greatest works since "Hallowed Be Thy Name". I also will listen to "Age Of Innocence" several times to let it sink in. The artwork inside and on the CD booklet is funny as it is weird, in my opinion. But, oh well. Hey, this album is brilliant, go find it and buy it. I doubt there's a song you wouldn't like on the album. // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2005

Sound: One word - great! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic and epic like most of their lyrics. Bruce like always great, it should be illegal to sing this good. One of my favourite lyrics is Montsgur. After reading the story about Mountsgur, about the war, the Cathars and the French Royalists it became even better. Now I know what he's singing about which is awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Iron Maiden are the best there is no denying it. All their albums are excellent so it is kinda difficult to compare the albums, it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in realy. Their music is similar to to wine it gets better and better after it gets older. Even now after all this time Iron Maiden is still the best bend ever. I think now my favourite song on "this" album is Montsgur becouse the song is about a war that took place at Mountsgur between the Cathars and the French Catholics. It almost as if the the Lyrics where taken straight from the history books. I recomend buying this album it's excelent just like all the previous albums. If it where stolen I'd find the guy and beat him to the groung and get a new one. Nothing can beat Iron Maiden! // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: majestic62, on november 25, 2003

Sound: Iron Maiden use a dreamy style that takes you to another place. This is the kind of music where you can't help but smile the whole way. This cannot even be compared to their other stuff, it has that traditional Iron Maiden but sounds alot more modern and is taken up a few notches. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have alot of substance and are brilliantly done. The lyrics of the CD follow the 'Dance Of Death' theme throughout especially in the epic song 'Dance Of Death. Bruce Dickinson is definitley one of the best metal singers of all time and not much criticism can be given to his singing skills, although it seems as though old age may slowly be getting the better of him vocally wise. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely one of my best albums of all time. Dance Of Death, Rainmaker, the acoustic 'Journeyman' and Paschendale are the standout tracks on this album. I love the way they have stuck to their original style for over twenty years now, slowly adapting it, and the result of about 23 years of tweaking is this masterpiece.If it got stolen I'd buy another two, just incase it got stolen again. // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 02, 2003

Sound: This album basically sticks to the tried and true Iron Maiden formula. Basically blazing fast guitar solos and catchy riffs with lyrics that refer to historic events such as Paschendale. If you have never listened to Iron Maiden before this is a good album to start with. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce Dickinson and Steve Harris team up once again to deliver great lyrics that are more like poems about history and freedom. This makes for some great and often powerful music. // 8

Overall Impression: One word could describe this album: Epic. All the songs share that same feel of large scale power and that's what makes iron maiden stand out. Of all the albums this one is the most refined and polished. This in my opinion is my nominee for album of the year. If I was forced to pick one song that stood out to me it would have to be Paschendale. This song has such a catchy beginning which quickly shifts into a high octane metal anthem that cannot be ignored. Get this album if you like songs with an epic feel and a lot of structure in them. Forget it if you don't like songs with solos in them or that are five to seven minutes long. // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2004

Sound: The time is always running, for some bands that's a good thing. Iron Maiden are still on the road after more than 20 years. And the results couldn't be better! In Dance of Death are the present and past of Maiden, the sound is great, the songs have between 5 and 7 minutes (except for the singles), one of the best albums of maiden ever!, really cool for listening. Just one mistake, Wildest Dreams, yes... the first single, it is not a bad song at all but is the weakest point here. Not so much surprices in the making of the songs, but, there's some new things like the acoustic Journeyman and the orqestation in some tracks, the 3 guitars working better this time. Iron Maiden are doing what they do better!, be Iron Maiden! For a die hard as me Dance of Death is for sure the best of 2003, but even if you aren't a maiden fan you can enjoy it. // 10

Lyrics: In Dance of Death we find the lyric style that is trademarck in Iron Maiden, always the epic is so much important for the band and here is a perfect comunion between the music and the lyrics, Pashendale, Monsegur, Dance of Death. By the other hand here's the lyrics that fix you into reality like New Frontier or Age of Innocence and for sure the ineraction with the music is just perfect. About Dickinson, he's in one of his best moments in his career, beyond his status his dedicated to sing the Iron Maiden's songs and his voice is the complement for such a great album. // 10

Overall Impression: In this record is the past and present of the band, if you had heard the earliest works of the band you can find some structures that reminds differents seasons in the band history, but this is a new work and that you can feel it too!. I like the whole record but Dance of Death, Rainmaker, Age of Innocence are my favourites. The bad thing here is the cover, is not bad the concept is fine but I would prefer a normal illustration instead of a PC design. And SURE! If it were stolen or losted I'll buy it agin and again and again. // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: When it comes to metal Iron Maiden are definitely one of the best around. The quick bass of Steve Harris, pounding drums of Nicko McBrain, the triple electric combo of Dave Murray, Janick Gerrs, and Adrian Smith, and the apocolyptic lyrics of Bruce Dickinson form one of their best albums ever. This album releases an even more sopphisticated, emotinal and melodic side to their career. From the rocking single wildest dreams to the amazing paschendale, this album will have you convinced that the wait since brave new world has been worth it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are delivered brilliantly by Bruce Dickinson, he can be convincingly evil from one minute to a more relaxed but still sinister tone which makes the album sound great as his voice really captures you attention. The lyrics themselvs are gr8, descriptive and emotive without be to detailed. // 10

Overall Impression: I am into thrash nd a little death metal but I really like the wat Iron Maiden stand out as a classic metal band, and they are one of very few that still keep to their roots, and being around for 27 years has only made them the best. This is one of the best albums I own. I really think you should at least listen to this beacause it delievers a powerful sound with amazing skill. Some people think this is the end for Iron Maiden but trust me this is the second coming... // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: iron maiden rox, on may 06, 2004

Sound: I think Dance of Death is one excellent album, some songs in are great but all the others just tag along. It is too much like Brave New World in that they all have the same backing track, dance of death and face in the sand for example both sound the same. I can honestly say only rainmaker and No More Lies are the only two great songs on the album. They bring out the true side of Iron Miaden so i will say to everyone wanting to buy it, only if you are a die hard iron maiden fan or prefer the newer stuff should you buy it. // 6

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2004

Sound: Iron Maiden pull off all their talent in this album, bringing in sounds from albums such as Powerslave and Number of the beast. Bringing in elements from these albums and adding a new touch of Iron Maiden makes Dance of Death one of their greatest so far. 30 years of playing gigs, making records and learning what makes their fans happy has finally pulled off. Iron Maiden have definately pulled together much closer than ever before. // 10

Lyrics: Harris and Dickinson the main song writers of this album have taken elements from all of their albums and compacted them into Dance of Death. Even though these lyrics are completely origional they bring back the memories of Fear of the Dark and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Nicko McBrain's first attempt of writing lyrics for an album release has been a success making Nicko and even bigger part of the band. Both lyrics and music make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, traditional Maiden style. // 8

Overall Impression: Iron Maiden have influenced every single band ever! Their huge stage shows, great albums and fantastic skills in music have made them an overall awesome band. Starting from Iron Maiden in 1976 with a small line up of half hearted musicians to become the excellent line up of Bruce Dickinson, Steven Harris, Janick Gers, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Nicko McBrain. This is the ultimate Iron Maiden, rock bands stand back and watch them take over the entire music industry. that is, if it hasn't happened yet. Up The Irons! // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: In thier come back album from the brave new world record. Iron Maiden show in this record that they are the best and most musical rock band ever. With triple guitars solos which only rock this album to it's very core. Thier shorter matierial on the album shows that the still have the effect of wriiten a great 3 and a half mind busting track. In true Iron Maiden fashion they show thier ability to write some f--king great ballads in this album such as Pascendale and Dance of Death. The final track Journeyman which is played ocustic is that it shows you that iron maiden can do it all. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics in this album are some of the best lyrics sung in 13 studio album. Although they don't have such epic lyrics as albums such as Fera of the Dark and Powerslave bruce dickinson shows that he is the best Iron Maiden frontman leavind Paul DiAnno and Blaze Bayeley in his dust. // 8

Overall Impression: Dance of Death is on of the greatest our even the best album Iron Maiden has recoreded. They have took all their talent and truly showcased it all but not forgetting their roots of albums such as The Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind. This album is a sure thing to but if you somehow misplace this album you would automatically run straight out and buy it straight away. To leave you I'll just simply say "up the irons". // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: WailinChieftain, on july 26, 2004

Sound: After I heard St. Anger (Metallica) I had lost all hope for music, so I had low hopes for this album, but I was dead wrong. The sound in this album is pure classic Maiden. Dave Murray pops out those crazy fast beats that I love so very very much, Adrian adds some harmony to the killer riffs, and Janick Gers proves once again that he is indeed worthy of being in the best Heavy Metal band ever! All the songs in here are of medium - frickin' awesome quality and the songs "Rainmaker", "Dance of Death", and "No More Lies" in particular just brought tears to my eyes. Nicko's got some crazy drum fills and Bruce. His vocal talent is so great in this album that I weeped and weeped. The only thing I would say brought the sound down is the mediocre bass riffs by Steve Harris. // 10

Lyrics: Many people thought that the lyrics lacked in this album. I am one of them. However, the lyrics still dwarf most other bands out today and certain songs (Dance Of Death in particular) has such awesome lyrics that it makes up for some of the not as spectacular pieces. But none of this matters too much 'cause Bruce can make anything sound killer! // 8

Overall Impression: This is a must have album for the maiden fan. Not quite as good as The Number Of The Beast though (but then again, what album is?) Since it already got stolen, I'm about to go get myself a new one. I advise you to go get one as well. // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: mesaboogieman, on may 24, 2005

Sound: This album really is the best metal record I have ever picked up. After listening to Brave New World in 2000, and watching the Rock In Rio and looking over the many years the Irons have been writing and playing, I really thought it cant get much better than this. I was proved wrong when listening to this album. As Iron Maiden alwyas is, guitar based-riffs with written solos, great keyboard playing from Steve Harris gives the album an amazing epic feel to it, almost classical. Bruce Dickinsons surging vocals in songs such as "Rainmaker," and softer, more mellow in "No More Lies" and the title song "Dance Of Death." // 10

Lyrics: I'm sure as most people will know, Iron Maidens music has changed rapidly since albums like "The Number Of The Beast" and "Powerslave." Lyrically, this release, with Bruce Dickinson back and musically better than ever. Dark, some mellow lyrics, such a wide range of moods are given to you throughout this CD. // 8

Overall Impression: When picking up "Dance Of Death" recently, I expected somehting much similar to "Brave New World" in 2000. I was wrong in thinking I would be getting something similar. The sound in the latest Iron Maiden release is much more epic, a classical feel, also a heavy, driving sound throughout the album. The most impressive and enjoyable songs have to be "Dance Of Death" and "No More Lies" two of the more orchestrak songs thus with a smashing classic Iron Maiden rock parts. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definitly buy it again, it is just too good not to have. I have every single Iron Maiden release, and from 1980s "Iron Maiden" up to this day it is by far, the best album of all. // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: METSOAD, on february 17, 2006

Sound: I was expecting this to be a stinker. I was wrong. It is awesome, stunning and one of the best overall iron maiden albums. It is in terms of technical ability it is in my opinion the greatest record ever made. It shows off soloing, riffing and harmonies at it's very best. Some may say that "Dance Of Death" (song) and "Face In The Sand" sound similar but they do not, both have a unique structure. // 10

Lyrics: Come on, this is Bruce Dickinson, does not need explaining. Brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Wildest Dreams - another album opener in the "Be Quick Or Be Dead," "Futureal" model with crushing riffs and insaine solo's. 02. Rainmaker - similar to the previous track but better due to better lyrics and a stunning solo. 03. No More Lies - your typical Iron Maiden Epic with riff after riff plus solo's for Smith, Gers and Murray. 04. Montsegur - nothing can prepare you for the heaviness and ferociousness of this stomping freakishly loud metal song. Genius. 05. Dance Of Death - this epic starts to show the genius of Bruce Dickinson's lyrics. 06. Gates Of Tommorow - Nicko's first shot at lyrics and he makes a very good job of them allying them with a series of deadly riffs and awesome solos. 07. New Frontier - a filler compared to the rest of the album, but redemed by some sparkling early riffage and good lyrics. 08. Paschendale - Adrian Smith wrote this masterpeice of an epic and shouyld be proud. One of the greatest songs ever written. 09. Face In The Sand - angry, very loud and stunning solo's. All you need for a good metal song. 10. Age Of Innocence - a very epic sounding song about the problems with modern society. Not one of the best. 11. Journeyman - the acoustic gem makes for a different but brilliant end to the album. It is a better album than "Piece Of Mind" and "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son." One of the best Iron Maiden have produced. Brilliant, if I lost it I would kill the theif and have it back. // 10

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: beau05, on march 10, 2006

Sound: Dance Of Death, the only thing I can really say is, although I hate to say this, their fighting a losing battle, the flame they once had is slowly flickering out. The 'music' itself is well above average, it's the sound of the vocals and instruments that really annoy me. It seems like they've tried to take us back to a time when, by opening with a hard-hitter, a few ballards in between, some 'out of the ordinary' tracks, but their age is well catching up on them. Bruce's vocals are, well, shot. It sounds like he's been a cigar smoker for the past 10 years. This is really apparent on "Rainmaker," where he tries to force the vocals, it no longer has the vigor it once had. The guitar work was particularly disappointing, although everyone loves classic Maiden, on songs like "No More Lies" especially, they may have had 3 guitar solos, but nothing conincided with each other, and dare I say, was just total late '70s/early '80s wankage. The high points would have to be "Gates Of Tomorrow" and "Montsegur," nothing less than brilliance. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics as usual by Steve Harris we're superb, however we're immensely let down by Bruce Dickinson's vocal work. On the track "Rainmaker," especially during the chorus, it seemed kind of weak. Don't get me wrong, it's a really catchy tune, but I was never 'captured' by what the song was actually trying to offer. "Paschendale." I have no idea what they we're trying to achieve here but the way the lyrics we're structured totally turned off. I didn't really have an idea of where the song was taking me, it would quickly jump from one verse to what seemed to be some kind of chorus and then into something else. // 5

Overall Impression: Seeing as this was their latest album, I compared it to one of their earlier efforts "The Number of the Beast", and I have to say it was no comparison. I would choose classic Maiden over anything. Most impressive would have to be "Gates Of Tomorrow" and "New Frontier," both imo payed homage to the classic Maiden I was expecting. I loved the fact that they we're making an effort to give fans what they wanted, classic Maiden, but in saying that was their downfall. It was too much like classic Maiden, not much was different. If it we're last or stolen I'd consider buying it again or maybe investing in another Maiden album. Also there is a DVD version witch contains the video clips for "Wildest Dreams" and "Rainmaker." // 7

Dance Of Death Reviewed by: UP_THE_IRONS!, on june 08, 2006

Sound: The sound of the Dance Of Death album is unique compared to some of the older albums. This one keeps the momentum of Maiden's life going. It's full of energy and sounds awesome. The Dance of Death track itself uses acoustic along with the song Journeyman. Some say this album is heavy and some say lighter than some of the rest. The boys are still at their guitars playing some really good riffs and Nicko can still hit those drums bloody well. Quite alot of background effects have gone into this album to make it even more special. When Paschendale plays, I can't help but really listen to it, the first few lines are excelent then you get to the main song. The lyrics are: "Laying low in a blood filled trench". The way Bruce makes it sound is really really good. Also, right at the start on the hi-hat, it's morse code for SOS. The boys aren't sure if it was intentionally or not, but it really is a great piece of musical skill. No more lies is one of these songs that just goes on and on, abit like Can I play with madness. A song I don't really listen to. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are some of the best. Especially in Paschendale, a world war song, that describes one man's life in the trenches. My personal opinion is that it is better than Metallica's 'One'. However the rest of the songs include some really great lyrics. Plenty of verses and very memorable choruses. Really you can not get bored listening to these songs, they just grab you and take you into the world of Maiden and I suppose Bruce Dickinson's voice helps. there are so many verses in this song it's unbelievable, but they all come together and make one awesome track. 01. Wildest Dreams - we have Nicko's count at the start of "1, 2, a 1, 2, 3, 4!". It actually makes a good intro for the song. The lyrics in this on are good and meaningful. 02. Rainmaker - really good, powerful lyrics. Chorus could of been better, but still the verses are very well put together. This is one that really sticks in your mind. 03. No More Lies - as I said earlier, it goes on and on which isn't good for a song. The verses are still remarkably good though. 04. Montsegur - almost a Powerslave entry, Bruce puts a lot into this one, focuses on the power. Very decent verses and a bloody awesome chorus. 05. Dance Of Death - if you want lyrics like no other song, this is the one. Dance Of Death. It tells the story of a man, that is kidnapped and taken to an 'unholy place'. Where he is summoned to the dance of the dead. He actually enjoys the time away from his spirit, and dances with the dead. Then the urge to run away. He does so. At the end of the song he tells of how he will never go dancing until he dances with the dead. This is one of the best songs maiden have ever recorded. 06. Gates Of Tomorrow - sounds quite similar to songs such as: Brave New World and Wildest Dreams. The lyrics all the way through are very good, catchy tune. 07. New Frontier - powerful song throughout, the start is high in energy, quite fast. Chorus is one of the best I have ever heard. The verses are quite small but do make a difference. 08. Paschendale - everything about this song is so good. From start to finish you'll be amazed at how good this song actually is. It gives you a mental picture of what it was like for this man. Very emotional and a very powerful song another that will be a true classic in the furture. 09. Face In The Sand - the tune at the start is brilliant, the Maiden boys really make this sound great. This one is based on politics and the chaos in the world. A good song nether-the-less but not one you could listen to a lot. 10. Age Of Innocence - take Still Life and take away the voice at the start. The start of this song sound pretty much similar. The lyrics are really good in this one, I really like it. Similar lines as Face in the Sand. it tells of how politicians used to be innocent and how they tell lies now-a-days. 11. Journeyman - what can I say, this is one of the most emotional songs Maiden have recorded. Bruce put absolutely everything into this one song. The lyrics really get to you. It sounded really good at Dortmund in 2005 on the Death on the Road album. I recommend you buy that one too. This song is slow but powerfull. That's it for lyrics, my overall impression is: absolutely breath-taking. It really is that good believe me. // 9

Overall Impression: Best songs: Paschendale and Dance Of Death. If you want a song to play while driving somewhere, it has to be Wildest dreams. Song that gets me in the mood has been Rainmaker. One that made me happy when feeling sad was Journeyman. I don't hate anything from this album, it's just that some of the songs do go on and you they do get boring. This album is one of the best maiden have done over the years. You cannot go wrong with this one, trust me. It's well worth it and if you're new to Maiden you may of already heard of this album, but I am telling you it's even better if you buy the Death on the Road album with it aswell. That way you get, the studio version and the live tour one and they both are fantastic. // 8

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review