Death On The Road Review

iron maiden: Death On The Road
Released: Aug 30, 2005
Label: Sony
Genres: Heavy Metal, British Metal
Iron Maiden do not disappoint, laying to waste any notions that they can't hold themselves to the performance standards of their younger days.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 8.7
Death On The Road Reviewed by: GabeWang, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Death on the Road is Maiden's latest live album, recorded on their tour supporing Dance Of Death. The band sounds great here, the guitars bass and drums are all as frantic and precise as ever. Bruce's vocals are starting to show signs of wear and tear though, prominent in such songs as Lord of the Flies and Rainmaker. The solos done by the boys Adrian, Janick, and Dave are all extremely well done, most of them even changed up a bit from their album versions. You can faintly hear the crowd singing along to every song, from classics like Iron Maiden, recent concert favourites such as Brave New World and Fear of the Dark, and even the songs from Dance Of Death. // 7

Lyrics: Maiden shines with lyrics in this concert, as usual. Brave New World is a personal favourite, but some songs just aren't that great lyrically in my opinion (Wildest Dreams, Lord Of The Flies). // 7

Overall Impression: This is a fine live album, however if you own all or even one of their previous live albums it may not be worth it. Many of the songs have been on all of Iron Maiden's live albums (Iron Maiden, Run To The Hills, The Trooper, Wrathchild, The Number Of The Beast, 2 Minutes To Midnight), but if you're a fan of the newer material a lot ofit is also showcased here. The crowd is in full force at this show and is very full of energy, even during the rather confusing opener Wildest Dreams. The most impressive songs here are the powerful rendition of Paschendale, a slightly altered Lord Of The Flies, and Journeyman in acoustic form. If this were stolen, I would get another copy but only because I'm an Iron Maiden collector. I'd reccomend this only to collectors or people who like Iron Maiden's newer stuff as opposed to the older. // 8

Death On The Road Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 28, 2006

Sound: This is your bog standard Iron Maiden Live album, which is absolutly better than anything the majority of bands can come up with, including the band proving once again that they are a solid unit and that they are awesome Musicians (Adiran Smith and Nicko McBrian are particularly impressive in this gig), also the crowd proving that Bruce Dickinson is not loudest person there. There is nothing that is unexpected, except the ease with which songs from the mighty "Dance Of Death" had eased thier way into the set. // 10

Lyrics: This is Bruce Dickinson, the voice of metal and possibly of rock and roll full stop. His vocal range cannot be matched (no matter how hard Justin "My pubic hair is on fire and my testicles are being squashed by my cat suit" Hawkins from British upstarts The Darkness can do). His screams, his whispers, his laughs and his evil scowls just cannot be matched by any other singer in the world of Metal. The lyrics, despite being a miss match of albums, seem to fit together very well as if different poems in a book. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very heavily biased with "Dance Of Death" songs. The best of those being the mighty Paschendale and the short but technical "Rainmaker." The suprise of the whole concert is the altered Lord of the Flies which is actually a whole tone down from the record version. It is not that fast but it is a simple, honest Metal song that is performed alot better than its record sibling. I Hate the fact that there is alot of stuff missing: nothing from Powerslave or Somewhere In Time, The Evil That Men Do is missing, there is no Wickerman or Sanctuary and I thought that Maiden had given up playing Phantom of the Opera all together until their stunning Early Years Tour. Also, The Clansman and Sign of the Cross were missing and more songs from "Peice of Mind" were needed as well. Overall, despite the odd choice of songs (why did they play can I play with madness instead of the evil that men do), this is a live album that should be purchased by every fan of live music, not just Metal, but anyone. It is not as good as "Rock In Rio" but no live album, bar "Live And Dangerous" by Thin Lizzy is. So it gets full marks in my book. Simply awesome. I would be distraught if this were stolen, and I would also be up on a Murder charge in court. // 10

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review