Different World [Single] Review

iron maiden: Different World [Single]
Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
Genres: Heavy Metal, NWOBHM
Label: Sanctuary
Second single to be pulled from the mighty Maiden's excellent 2006 album, "A Matter Of Life And Death". Features "Different World" coupled with a killer live version of "Iron Maiden".
 8.7
 9.5
 7.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) 36 comments vote for this album:
Different World [Single] Reviewed by: (...), on february 19, 2007

Sound: This CD is a single from Iron Maiden. It contains "Different World," "The Trooper," and "Hallowed By Thy Name." "Different World" is from the CD "A Matter of Life and Death," while the other two tracks are from other CDs but are modern renditions that were recorded in 2006 with no real changes to them. Bruce, Harris, Smith, McBrain, Murray, and Gers deliver. // 10

Lyrics: As always with Iron Maiden, the lyrics are great. "Hallowed By Thy Name" has some of the best Iron Maiden lyrics ever. "The Trooper" has lyrics that convey the image of the military charge it is based on right in your head. Bruce Dickinson is the most talented singer I know.He can hit those really high notes and not lose it. He's singing is almost operatic. It is a real joy to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: I have to say, this is one of the best singles I have ever heard. Three great Maiden songs on one disc. All three songs are very impressive. I love the song structure and the emotion conveyed in the music that some artists cannot even attempt to do. The song "Hallowed By Thy Name" can actually make you sad. I got this for a little over six dollars, and for that price, you cannot go wrong. // 10

Different World [Single] Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on october 08, 2013

Sound: "Different World" is a single, but other than the title track "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "The Trooper" are on here. Those last two songs come from live BBC radio sessions, while the first appears on the full length Maiden album "A Matter of Life and Death." The newer track can only be described in the most obvious and possibly dumbest sounding description of any song by Iron Maiden. "Different World" sounds just like Iron Maiden. What I'm trying to say is that, if you are a fan, you don't really have anything to worry about. It's not an amazing song, but it's a lot better than some singles I've heard from equally big-name Rock/Metal groups. The two BBC radio live tracks will cheer you up a bit, assuming you didn't like the single. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to all three of the songs featured here are really good lyrics. Gets a bit farther than the "mindless screaming plus wall of noise" stereotype some people have of Metal music. Most of the time, the music is very well suited to the lyrics and you can hear the specific words Bruce is saying over the instrumentation, which is one reason I would call this a worthy release. You can actually completely respect a band, regardless of genre, who have lyrics you can clearly understand. I'm sorry, but some musicians nowadays, it just sounds like a wall of wasted sound and I don't only mean Metal groups. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, all I can say is wrong with this is a) it's a single and b) would prefer maybe two new songs and a demo or something as opposed to having two live tracks, though they are very good live tracks, so, this is not so much a complaint as a "hey! Where's the B side?" type thing. I'm not quite sure what anybody would call that. The point is this: Good studio song, two good live songs. Not perfect, but when you look at what certain other iconic Heavy Metal bands have been releasing, it all can be boiled down into one very short, very memorable sentence: I am the table. // 9

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review