Iron Maiden Review

iron maiden: Iron Maiden
Released: Apr 14, 1980
Genre: Heavy Metal, New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Label: EMI
"Iron Maiden" is the debut album by the British heavy metal band Iron Maiden.
 Lyrics: 8.6
Iron Maiden Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2004

Sound: Iron Maiden's debut album has been one of the greatest in metal history, so i decided to do a review of it. The guitars dominate this whole album with the amazing riffs and solos. The bass is amazing too, these album was a little more with punk and heavy metal. This album's most recognized song for its amazing riffs and solos is Phantom Of The Opera, the epic of the album, the 7 minute long song, which is still one of maidens best. But the production in this album is not as great as the later albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very good some of them, but on the other side they have their low point in some. Like in the song Charlotte The Harlot, this song is a very good song, with some great bass riffing, its probably the simplest track on the album, but the lyrics are about a prostitute, the lyrics are not really bad, but I mean, with Murray's talent, I could imagine something better than that. Paul Di'Anno is a very good singer, hes vocals fit the songs very well, but Bruce Dickinson sounds a lot better than him, its just that Paul Di'Anno did not have much of a voice to sing in a heavy metal band. // 8

Overall Impression: I rated this cd a 5, because of its great guitar riffs and solos, great vocals by Paul Di'Anno, good lyrics, and the amazing bass by Steve Harris. The highlights of the cd are definitely Phantom Of The Opera, Strange World, which is a really slow song by Maiden, but its lyrics and music are excellent. Another great song from this album, is the instrumental Transylvania mostly because of its guitar work. If I would lose this cd I'd definitely buy it again, its one of maiden's bests. This album is definitely worth getting, but I think you have to be into iron maiden and some similar bands to really apreciate it. I think that these album has some low points too, like the title track is the shortest song on the album and does not even include a solo, and it repeats the same lyrics 3 times, I mean I was expecting a masterpiece, but most of the songs are pretty well done, but the three I named are what mostly give this album a rating of five. // 10

Iron Maiden Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on october 15, 2004

Sound: The self-titled debut album of Iron Maiden was a very inspirational one for many great metal artists, other than 'Killers', which I want to try out soon. I totally agree and this is an amazing album. I don't hate nor dislike any of the 9 tracks. The distortion is very classic and pure. There are fast and skillful guitar riffs and techniques and very harmonious, bad-ass solos! When it comes to the bass, Steve Harris is a inspirational hero to me. I don't play bass but when I write bass parts for my (future) band, he's a great example. I sense a hint of punk inspiration on this album, which makes it good in its own way. // 10

Lyrics: The debut album featured the founding singer, Paul Di'Anno. He's pretty cool for a singer. Bruce Dickinson is #1, though. Di'Anno is #2 and Blaze Bayley is #3. But they're all great, don't get me wrong. Most of the lyrics are written by the most common Maiden songwriter, Steve Harris, but some songs had credits from Di'Anno and I think "Charlotte The Harlot" or some track was written by lead guitarist Dave Murray. Great verses, but the same verse and chorus is sometimes repeated in some songs, like the self-titled song, "Iron Maiden". I've no problem with that, by the way. // 10

Overall Impression: Great album. I love every track! The best song, in my opinion, is track 5, "Phantom Of The Opera". It has more instrumental areas than singing, and I loved that. The best part of the song is around the other half of it, when they start jamming with hard-rocker tone and the solos played on that rhythm. Another good one is "Prowler". "Iron Maiden" is good too; I learned to play the whole song, including the solo, which was pretty easy but good. "Strange World" is a softer side of the album in my opinion and just as graceful. I'm currently learning hte instrumental "Transylvania", which has fast riffs and cool rhythms. Great album, definately worth getting. I'm hoping to try some songs from the 2nd album, Killers, also, which I heard was real good. // 10

Iron Maiden Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on december 03, 2005

Sound: This is the debut album of one of the greatest or the greatest new wave of British heavy metal band, Iron Maiden. This album like any other Iron Maiden album that I heard is great. The line-up for this album is: Paul D'ianno (vocals), Steve Harris (bass & vocals), Dave Murray (guitar), Dennis Stratton (guitar & vocals), Every song on this album are good. Every song has something unique about it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to Iron Maiden and Killers seem very different to me than the albums recorded with Bruce Dickinson and Blaze Bayle. The lyrics sorta remind me of the lyics to Diamond Head lightnin To the Nations. The lyrics go from anything to running away and being free to a prostitute named Charlotte. Paul D'ianno is a great vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the greatest metal debut albums of all time in my opinion. The album art is cool with eddy there just the way he is before he changes to a person in a mental institution or the grin reaper. The most impressive songs on this album are Prowler, Running Free, Phantom Of The Opera and iron Maiden. the rest are good to. If this album were stolen or lost I would go insane because it is one of my favorite metal albums in my collection. // 10

Iron Maiden Reviewed by: Big4ThrashMetal, on august 11, 2011

Sound: 01. "Prowler" - This song has a great intro with wah and isn't too difficult to learn either. 02. "Remember Tomorrow" - From start to finish an Iron Maiden Classic with an awesome oxymoronic song title. 03. "Running Free" - Leaning towards a less Metal sound, but has a catchy chorus. 04. "Phantom Of The Opera" - Probably my favorite song off this album along with "Transylvania". 05. "Transylvania" - A great instrumental and tied for favorite off this album with "Transylvania". 06. "Strange World" - The weakest song in the album, it's a good song, but it never seems to catch fire. 07. "Sanctuary" - A track that wasn't on the original release, although I don't see why not include it. 08. "Charlotte The Harlot" - 2nd best out of Maiden's "Charlotte" song series. 09. "Iron Maiden" - Amazing title track with an amazing intro, just an amazing song. // 10

Lyrics: Not much to say about the lyrics, there's a lot of variety, but not until Maiden got a hold of Bruce Dickinson do the lyrics hit perfection, still Paul Di'Anno does a really good job at singing them! The only possible way the singing could have been better would be if Bruce Dickinson had done them, but, I'm not complaining with the final product am I? // 9

Overall Impression: Although I prefer their album "Killers" from the Di'Anno era, this is still a really good album. Best Songs: "Phantom Of The Opera", "Transylvania", "Iron Maiden". There's not much to hate about this album, it is an impressive first effort from a very consistent band. If this album were to be stolen, I'd buy it again, of course! // 10

Iron Maiden Reviewed by: damillion, on july 24, 2013

Sound: Iron Maiden's self-titled debut album from 1980 is a metal classic. From the first song to the last Maiden throws us the material that would make them one of heavy metals fastest growing acts during the early '80s. Steve Harris signature bass lines act as an engine that keeps it all together while Dave Murray's jaw-dropping guitar shredding layers on top along with Dennis Stratton's guitar work. Paul Di'Anno's voice and punk-rock attitude mix very well with the music and the line-up is completed by Clive Burr pummeling wildly on the drums. While being a great record the record suffers from two main flaws, and the first is the sound quality. While the song writing and the playing from all members is phenomenal the soundscape is not on par with Killers (not to mention the bands later releases). We're not talking lo-fi black metal here, but it leaves some room for improvement nontheless. // 7

Lyrics: Paul Di'Anno's singing strength could easily be summed up in one word: attitude. He is fantastic at conveying it. Technically he doesn't have much to bring to the table (some even say he used to shake his head to get a vibrato effect, although I doubt that's true), but he has tons of attitude and pretty good emotion too. I believe his best side is being displayed during the song "Iron Maiden" and generally in the heavier parts rather than in the mellow ones. I've always thought that Maiden's debut record would have made a great instrumental piece, but Di'Anno's voice admittedly adds to the record and lifts it to further heights. The only song he does not contribute to is the instrumental song "Transylvania." Regarding the lyrics and so forth I stand a little divided, but they are what I consider to be the albums second flaw. On the one hand there are lyrics about a flasher, a criminal and a prostitute, which seems a bit immature and not very needed. I bet the band thought it was fun though, and why not? Maiden have always had some room for rock 'n' roll silliness. For me the lyrics are pretty forgettable however. The phantom of the opera is a great subject for a song, and the first lines are great only to be ruined by "Yeah, I know that you're gonna scratch me, maim me and maul." Most of the lyrics are cheesily twisted and seem as taken from a collection of bad horror movies. A height lyric-wise is "Remember Tomorrow," which is supposedly a song Di'Anno wrote about his grandfather. // 6

Overall Impression: A few things about this record makes it so great. The first is doubtlessly the strength of the song writing. While it doesn't feature as many hits as some other Maiden records this is a very even record that still manages to keep a high form. The only song that becomes too repetitive is "Sanctuary," which is not present on the original British pressing. Through-out the recording has attitude, emotion and a lot of energy. The cherry on the top of the cake is the track list which so importantly both opens and closes with great songs ("Prowler" and "Iron Maiden" respectively). The best song on the album has to be "Phantom of the Opera" which features lots of great instrumental parts. The most underrated part of the record is most likely the lead guitar work during "Strange World" which makes me think of Gary Moore for more than a second. What really makes this album shine though is the variation and the great tempo changes, and the fact that you can feel the energy and the passion the band had through the recording. If one can look past the only slightly better than mediocre sound quality and the cheesy lyrics there's a real music gem lying underneath it. // 8

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review