Piece Of Mind Review

9.5
 9.4
 9.6
Piece Of Mind Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 29, 2006

Sound: This is the album that had to be good, for the simple reason it came just a year after the 1982 masterpiece "Number Of The Beast". It definatly lived up to expectations and more. There was a new drummer in the form of Nicko McBrain and he gives a consatnly pounding a vicious assult that beggers belif. Steve Harris might just be the greatest bassist alive with his licks and insanly fast fingers. Adiran Smith and Dave Murray seem to be one of the tightest, most talented guitarists ever to grace this green earth (Janick Gers on later albums only adds to the quality). The Riffs are solid and in may cases spectacular (The Trooper and Where Eagles Dare are good examples of the latter description). The guitar solos simply blow the mind and just make you want to stand up in awe of all of them. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce Dickinson seems to be an unstopable voice for Rock music and this album was only his second Iron Maiden effort but he seems to fit right in and prove instantky what an insane voice he truly is. War Metal was started by the lyrics on this album. Where Eagles Dare, Die With Your Boots on and The Trooper paved the way for other Metal songs about war such as "Aces High" which is on "Powerslave" and "One" by Metallica. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was released in the same year as "Kill 'Em All" by Metallica and "Another Perfect Day" by Motorhead. It had to be something against suck blisteringly good oppostion and thankfully it succeded. The best songs on this album are actually the first 5, which are Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Flight of the Icarus, The Trooper and Die with your boots on. The personify what Iron Maiden is all about and seems just to carry on where "Number Of The Beast" left off, blistering riffs and insane Guitar solos everywhere proving that this, plus good lyrics are all that are needed to be a great metal band. I am going to say that overall this album is 10 out of 10 in all departments because it was under so much pressure and had so much to deliver and it delivered more than anyone expected. One of the Great Metal albums. // 10

Piece Of Mind Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on june 06, 2005

Sound: I can't imagine what had gone through the mind of an avid Maiden fan the day this album was released. They probably had been a follower ever since the beginning, or, if not, Number of the Beast would definitely have pulled them in, and made them go out and get some more of the action. Well, the action is definitely shown, and the comparison between Piece Of Mind and their three prior albums is hard to make. The production value is definitely weirder than anything they had done up to that point. I thought Murray and Smith really tried to expand on their great harmony parts, and brilliant harmony parts can be found on such tracks as "Revelations", "Die With Your Boots on" and "The Trooper". Memorable guitar riffs meld together with each song, and right from the get-go you can tell this album is going to be one hell of a ride. Let's take a look at the songs: 01. Where Eagles Dare - well, after Clive Burr's exit of the band, Maiden went out and found yet another amazing drummer to take his place. What a damn good way to introduce us all to Nicko McBrain. The song starts off with a drum intro, and a pretty good one at that. A pretty decent song depicting war (yeah, surprise surprise, Maiden doing a song about war). I'm not sure but I think it's based on the movie of the same title with Eastwood in it. The gunshots in the middle along with the guitar solo all make this song pretty kickass for an opener. 02. Revelations - I guess they wanted to go ahead and get the soft song out of the way. Probably not their best ballad-type song, but it's definitely worth a listen. Especially because Bruce's voice is, as usual, very stunning and there is an awesome harmony interlude riff that'll probably get you reaching for the rewind button. Decent enough; not the best on the album but not the worst. 03. Flight Of Icarus - as cool of a concept as it was, Maiden really tried to make this one sound commercial. It goes along alright until the chorus kicks in and you get the feeling an eight-year-old will memorize the lyrics and then sing them while dancing on a table at a birthday party. Either there's too much going on in the song or not enough, this really falls short of Maiden standards. 04. Die With Your Boots On - okay, this brings it back up to par. They start the song off with a great harmony riff (Maiden harmonies are about as good as crack cocaine), and some awesome guitar work throughout. The whole song is about cowboys dying on boot hill (I think), but somehow they turn that concept into an awesome song. Especially right up towards the end when the song takes a disturbing turn into a sadder tone right up before the final chorus. Yeah, this is definitely Iron Maiden. 05. The Trooper - so maybe they went a little overboard with this one. The main riff itself is decent harmony but it really gets sickening after a while. And Bruce's annoying "Aaahhhhhhh"s which seem to last forever aren't very pleasing to the ear. The song eventually becomes extremely boring, if not at first listen then at second, and is just one of those average songs. 06. Still Life - this is the song for which the album is named, so you're expecting it to be good. Well, it kind of is. The clean guitar and phased solo at the beginning give you the hint that it's a ballad, but in true Maiden style they bring up the BPM and thrash it out a while, combining slow and fast styles into one pretty awesome song. Though it may get a little boring after a while, you can always come back to it a couple months later and love it again. 07. Quest For Fire - another one based on a movie, this song is about cavemen on a quest for fire. Ultimately it's a pretty nerdy song, but Iron Maiden are complete nerds anyway so it fits their style well. It's not necessarily bad but there's nothing about it that really stands out. More a filler than anything else, but it's not too bad. 08. Sun And Steel - whatever the hell this song is about, I don't think I'll ever know. From confusing verses to and even more confusing chorus, lyrically this song is a pile of crap. "Life is like a wheel" what does that mean? And the guitar work isn't exactly impressive either, nor the bass nor the drums, so overall it's worthy of the "skip" button on your remote. 09. To Tame A Land - based on the "Dune" series by Frank Herbert (later carried on by his son Brian Herbert; great reads for anyone who's interested), this song is one hell of a way to close an album. From the slow beginning to the heavy verse and chorus to the blistering instrumental work towards the end, this song is to music what the "Dune" books were to literature. What an analogy! Possibly Maiden's nerdiest song, it's extremely pleasurable to any music fan, and even more pleasurable to a music fan who's read the "Dune" books, because the lyrics really make you go, "Damn, they knew their stuff!". A wonderful album closer, and a Maiden epic that doesn't try too hard to be an epic. // 8

Lyrics: Steve Harris, as usual, wrote most of the lyrics on here, and they are, as usual, pretty good. A big complaint that I have, though, as I mentioned earlier, are the lyrics for "Sun and Steel", which sound like lyrics that a fourth-grader with add wrote. But other than that, many of them are well-thought-out and Steve Harris and the guys really deserve credit for what work they put into them. // 8

Overall Impression: Not Maiden's best, but certainly not their worst. A hearty addition to the collection of any metal fan. As usual Maiden serves up another classic of epic proportions and if you don't own it go out and buy a copy today! // 10

Piece Of Mind Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 29, 2004

Sound: I'm back again with another Iron Maiden album review, I did the one in the Self Titled album and Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, and here I am writing one for one of their greatest albums. I rate Piece of Mind a 5 in the sound because, musically this is one of Maiden's greatest albums. Maiden after looking at the succes they had with the number of the beast, they wrote a similar album, with its amazing guitar work, bass work and drums with their new drummer Nicko McBrain. The songwriting in this album evolves from number of the beast, even though it was their first album to include fillers (Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel). The solos on this album are another part that make this album so great, and tunes like The Trooper, Where Eagles Dare, Flight Of Icarus, and Die With Your Boots On show why this is one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever, the quieter Revelations and Still Life make this album one of Maiden's greatests. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very interesting, most of them were inspired by movies, books or religion. Some of them have deeper meaning like Still Life. The lyrics go along great with the music. They also have lyrics like The Trooper and Where Eagles Dare, which are war lyrics, the lyrics on both of this are very well put and written. Another deeper meaning lyrics are the ones in Revelations, this song is about religion. Bruce Dickinson as always is Amazing. Bruce Dickinson is what maiden were missing in the first two albums. // 10

Overall Impression: This album contains some of Maiden's greatest songs ever, like The Trooper, Revelations, Where Ealges Dare and Still Life. This songs are so good because of their amazing guitar and bass riffs, and also you cant miss the guitar solos, Adrian and Dave do an awesome job at writing them on this album. Another great song of the album is To Tame a Land, its based on the book Dune. This song is a 7 minute song which contains some of Maiden's greatest musical work, but the lyrics were never great. The only song I do not like on this album is Sun And Steel, while msot people hate Quest For Fire, I think it's a great song, but Sun and Steel is really weak, it doesn't have any good guitar riffs, the only thing that stands out are the solos like in probably any other Maiden song. This is my favourite album with Somewhere in Time (Which I will be doing a review shortly). This album is Definitely worth buying, if you listen to heavy metal, this is the album you need to get. So for anyone who does not have this album, I recommend you to get your ass to a CD store and buy it Now! // 10

Piece Of Mind Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on december 03, 2005

Sound: This is the fourth album that Iron maiden had released. This is one of the best albums that they ever released. Every song on the album is good. It also has one of the greatest tracks that the band ever have recorded which is The Trooper. The Trooper has to be one of the best metal tracks that was ever recorded. Like The Trooper there are also other good songs on this album. One of them is Revelations. This song is a bit slower than the other songs on the album but it speeds up then slows down which is cool. The worst song on the whole album in my opinion is Flight Of Icarus but I still like it a lot. The other songs that I mentioned are just as good as The Trooper or Revelations but better than Flight Of Icarus. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this are great. The lyrics for The Trooper is about war centeries ago when none of us were born. I like in Revelations when Bruce Dickinson sings "The light of the blind, you'll see, the venom tears my spine, the eyes of the nile are opening you'll see". Bruce Dickinson is an excellent vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the second album that I ever bought by Iron Maiden. Since I bought this album I can't stop buying iron Maiden album even though I only bought two more. Every Iron Maiden album up to Fear Of The Dark are great. I don't hate anything about this alsum. If this were lost I wouldn't know where it would be because it never leaves my room. // 10

Piece Of Mind Reviewed by: randy_rhoads83, on june 05, 2006

Sound: When I first listened to this album I wasn't sure what to think of it. On one hand, there are plenty of solid tracks, but on the other it doesn't sound as good as other albums. Adrian's and Dave's guitars don't sound as crunchy, like they backed off the gain. They still play amazing, its just that they don't sound as amazing. This is Nicko McBrain's first album with Maiden, but this definitly isn't his first gig. He plays great. Don't need to say anything about Steve Harris, he always pulls through sounding amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Bruce Dickinson is one of my favorite singers in rock. Like every album he's on, he sounds spectacular, mixing high notes with aggressive melodies. But I have to say he was outdone by a less famous singer. On the all star tribute album, Ripper Owens sings "Flight of Icarus" and I'd say that his vocals were much more powerful. But that means nothing as the time distance between the two recordings is more than a decade. // 9

Overall Impression: I say that this definitly is not Iron Maiden's finest work but I must say I was suprised how much I was attached to "Die With Your Boots On" and "Where Eagles Dare". For people not familiar with Maiden I'd say start with Powerslave or my personal favorite Number Of The Beast. I don't dislike the album at all. It just didn't hit me as hard as beast or slave. // 8

Piece Of Mind Reviewed by: aenimafist, on december 26, 2008

Sound: While Number of the Beast is what provoked most people into becoming Maiden fans, they must have really gone wild when Piece of Mind came out. Such concert staples like Where Eagles Dare, The Trooper, and Revelations have had such a huge influence on rock and roll it is unmeasurable. Maiden certainly should be admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame within the next few years because they are so big on the music scene even today. The power brought forth on this record from a band that brought heavy metal to new heights has made fans scream all across the globe. Where Eagles Dare might be ny favorite Maiden song because it has a really fun riff to play and it is a kick to play on the drums. The Trooper, thankfully, has become cliche. One might have the song may have been integrated into the mainstrem but no it still holds tight to it's classic status. Die With Your Boots On is one of the most energetic songs by the band and possibly my second favorite on the album. Sun and Steel might be one of Maiden's most underrated songs but I get entertainment out of it. This album is solider than a block of Plutonium. // 10

Lyrics: How can you not like Bruce Dickenson. The guy is sixty years old and still kicking ass every time Maiden plays. Bruce might be the ultimate frontman in the history of rock and roll. However, he doesn't use his astoundingly apparent stage presence to cover up his singing talent. Bruce is an amazing and versatile singer who writes music too! I love a singer who does more than just sings, ZP. Anyway Where Eagles Dare is about landings in the World War and so is the Trooper, a war song. Maiden love to write about that sort of thing, along with the thrill of intense battle. Quest For Fire might be one of the worst songs by Maiden though, because it just sounds dumb. On Sun ans Steel it would have been nice if instead of having there be only one set of lyrics in the chorus, to have more than one because at one point they repeat the same thing FOUR TIMES! Then it's just annoying. All performances though by Bruce were outstanding. Especially Flight of Icarus. // 9

Overall Impression: Maiden will forever keep the flame of metal burning in the hearts of the people in the world. They will carry the torch to the top of the mountain while flying like and eagle... yeah. Maiden really have made a landmark in the world of music folks. This album is way better than Number of the Beast because first of all the songs are simply better and second, Sanctuary Records liscenced Number of the Best (song) to Harmonix to use in Guitar Hero! What a fag... But listen, anyone who tells you will think very highly of this album. If they don't then immediately give them a lobotomy and leave them bleeding on the ground. Remember, as Hammerfall say, "A metal heart is hard to break!" // 10

Piece Of Mind Reviewed by: AnimeRockerXD, on july 09, 2013

Sound: This is my favorite Iron Maiden album and I think the sound is part of the reason why. This album was produced by Martin Birch who produced Deep Purple's "Machine Head" and Maiden's previous 2 albums. All the instruments are really clear and powerful the guitars and melodic, the bass is galloping almost as complex as the guitar solos and the drums are great too. Speaking of drums, this album marks the first appearance of drummer Nicko McBrain who really adds to Maiden's sound. So yeah, sound is great. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are standard for Maiden covering topics like war, history and science fiction. As normal Steve Harris (Bassist) has the most writing credits with the other band members contributing here and there. Do I really even need to go over singer skills? It's BRUCE DICKINSON! Personally, I think this album and "Powerslave" contain Bruce's best vocals. He showcases a wide-range of styles. *Warning I'm about to make some comparisons to other metal singers* The end of "Where Eagles Dare" features some Rob Halford type vocals. And "Flight of Icarus" reminds me of the late great Ronnie James Dio. Vocals and lyrics are great. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is great, but just to further prove my point I'll do a track by track review. 01. "Where Eagles Dare": Great drum intro, nice catchy riffs and blistering solos and like I mentioned before some very nice vocals by Bruce. 02. "Revelations": In my opinion this is one of Maiden's most underrated songs. It has some great lyrics a simple riff but hey, it works. 03. "Flight of Icarus": Great song, catchy chorus, good vocals and a few good solos in there. 04. "Die With Your Boots On": This song really shows Maiden's humorous side with the "You're gonna die" in the background and aside from that this song has some great drum and bass work. 05. "The Trooper": Besides "Run to the Hills" this could be Iron Maiden's most popular song and for good reason! Great opening with all the instruments showcasing what the boys in Maiden can do followed by Bruce shouting the lyrics melodically and the strong chorus, great song. 06. "Still Life": This song starts out with drummer Nicko McBrain speaking in a foreign language in reverse followed by a haunting performance by the rest of the band. Adding to the atmosphere are the lyrics "NIGHTMARES! Will give me Piece of Mind." 07. "Quest for Fire": With this song comes my only problem with the album starts, this song seems like a filler meaning it was created just because the band needed a song for the album. It's still a great track just a little short and doesn't hold up to the rest of the tracks. 08. "Sun and Steel": A better track than "Quest for Fire" but still not that impressive it is strong in the fact it features great vocals and great bass playing. 09. "To Tame a Land": It's Iron Maiden tradition to have at least one big song on almost every album. Example: "Phantom of the Opera," "Hallowed be thy Name," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," "Alexander the Great," "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and this song is this albums big song. The lyrics are based around the book "Dune" which is great subject matter and the actual musicality on this song is great too the whole band really shows off their talents. Great closer to a great album the only thing I didn't like were the filler songs. And if this album was ever stolen I'd buy it as soon as possible. // 9

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review