Somewhere Back In Time - The Best Of: 1980-1989 Review

iron maiden: Somewhere Back In Time - The Best Of: 1980-1989
Released: May 12, 2008
Genre: Heavy Metal
Label: EMI
This is essentially my gateway into the world that is Maiden... And it didn't disappoint. My love for Iron Maiden spawned from this greatest hits album. The album ONLY features vocals by Bruce Dickinson.
 8.4
 6.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Somewhere Back In Time - The Best Of: 1980-1989 Reviewed by: IronDeathKiss, on february 03, 2012

Sound: This is essentially my gateway into the world that is Maiden... And it didn't disappoint. My love for Iron Maiden spawned from this greatest hits album. The album ONLY features vocals by Bruce Dickinson, even on the songs from "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" (they use the versions from "Live After Death"). The tracklist is: 01. Churchill's Speech/Aces High 02. 2 Minutes To Midnight 03. The Trooper 04. Wasted Years 05. Children Of The Damned 06. The Number Of The Beast 07. Run To The Hills 08. Phantom Of The Opera 09. The Evil That Men Do 10. Wrathchild 11. Can I Play With Madness? 12. Powerslave 13. Hallowed Be Thy Name 14. Iron Maiden Nuff Said. // 10

Lyrics: Steve Hunter may be one of the greatest songwriters of all time. His lyrics are brilliant and his instrumentation is phenomenal. Bruce Dickinson is by far one of the greatest metal singers ever. Right up there with the Late great Dio and Rob Halford. By far my favorite lyrics come from "Powerslave", I love mythology and it is perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect "starter kit" for a blossoming Iron Maiden fan. I was completely blown away by it. Highlights: - "2 Minutes To Midnight" - originally from "Powerslave" - "The Trooper" - originally from "Piece Of Mind" - "Run To The Hills" - originally from "Number Of The Beast" - "Phantom Of The Opera" - originally from "Iron Maiden", taken from "Live After Death" - "Wrathchild" - originally from "Killers", taken from "Live After Death" - "Powerslave" - originally from "Powerslave" Of all other compilations, this one takes the case for the best... But buy "From Fear To Eternity" (The sequel that covers 1990-2010). If you wanna discover Maiden, BUY THIS, if you are a Maiden Purist, pass this unless your a collector or something. // 10

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review