Virtual XI Review

iron maiden: Virtual XI
Release Date: Mar 24, 1998
Label: CMC International
Genres: New Wave of British Heavy Metal, Heavy Metal, British Metal
Even those fans, pleased as they may be to have a new Maiden album, will admit that the group sounds tired.
 8.6
 7.2
Virtual XI Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2005

Sound: First of all I'd like to say no matter what people say Blaze Bayley is a good singer. After a their latest releases with Bruce they were going downhill and the Blaze albums are an intresting change. After the X Factor which was good but dragged on too much they released their 11th album and it is in their top 5 in my opinion. The guitarwork between Dave and Janick is almost as good as the guitar work with Dave and Adrian. The bass lines and drumming are great and overall the sound is great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty differnt to their older stuff but are just as good. The lyrics to Futureal are quite poor but are sung well by Blaze. They fit well with the albums sound and Blaze gives his best performance on this album. He is very different to Bruce and Bruce is better singer but he's still a veyr good singer. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an amazing album which is better than their other '90s releases. But it doesnt compare to their first 5 albums which are their best. This is by know means the end of Iron Maiden and the song writing style continues in Brave New World. My favourites on here are Futureal, the angel and the gambler and lightning strikes. I love the song strucure but Blaze's voice can get annoying. This is a great album to come to if your tired of all the hits. If it were lost and stolen I'd buy it again as it's a good album and I don't want a gap in my Maiden collection. // 10

Virtual XI Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2005

Sound: First of all I don't know why people complain about this album; Blaze actually does an excellent job filling in for an amazing singer like Bruce Dickinson; and the band really do pull through. The band's sound isn't as individual or unique as their signature music. Although there is no Adrian Smith, there is still awesome guitar sounds, Dave has amazing solos again and he is better than Adrian so we don't miss out on the best. Murray and Janick still have some quality riffs. Steve's bass-lines are great as always, as is McBrain's drumming jobs. I would have to say I still prefer the music with Adrian Smith involved, but this is good enough. Seeing as the band were going through a bit of a crisis without Adrian and Bruce, I think the sound deserves 10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly of the same style becuase its the same guys writing them, but they are somewhat different. The singing isn't as good as Bruce's but that can't be matched, Dickinson has such a unique voice and although he can't compare, Blaze Bayley does a stunning fill-in job. He's voice isn't as powerful but he sings well enough. I am listening to 'Lightening Strikes Twice' so I'll mention the harmony in the chorus between vocals and guitar. Again, the band was in a crisis and they pulled though so this deserves 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a great album, it cannot compare to other albums by Maiden, but if the band was under a different name and you didn't know the line-up, you would think this is f--ing amazing. Enough said, the band did a great job at coping without Adrian and Bruce, but their return was more than welcome. I would buy this album if it went missing or got lost. Buy this album and see what you think. // 10

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review