Panopticon Review

Isis: Panopticon
Released: Oct 19, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Grindcore, Alternative Metal
If Oceanic established Isis as an important and distinctive figure in the metal world, Panopticon is their effort to expand further outside the boundaries of that world, and it's a mighty successful one at that.
 8.4
 9.5
Panopticon Reviewed by: Kurt Russell, on october 03, 2005

Sound: If there is Isis playing in a room, you can tell. Their sound is slow and grinding. They basically took the style of Neurosis and expanded upon it. Almost everything is played in 4/4, which normally I wouldn't be too crazy about, but they just wouldn't be Isis if they made it too technical. My only complaint is that the drummer never really adds anything to the music on this album. // 9

Lyrics: Not the greatest part of the whole. Aaron Turner rarely actually sings melodically on the album, but you can definitely see the vocal progression in contrast with the previous albums. The Lyrics are really hard to understand, which doesn't bother me that much, I'm used to it by now. // 6

Overall Impression: I'd say this is their best album yet. The highlights of the album have to be "So Did We," "In Fiction," and "Wills Dissolve." I love the way this album makes me feel. It's depressing and uplifting at the same time. I would definitely buy this album again if it were lost or stolen. // 9

Panopticon Reviewed by: alteredcourse88, on april 18, 2005

Sound: Ethereal and heavy. It just engulfs you in a wall of sound. The album title refers to a prison design, and thats what it seems like, the entire album just closes you into this bipolar trance of beauty and power. Although the vocals are sparse, the instruments play an emotional role themselves. Heavy guitar, brooding drums, and amazing bass playing (see "Altered Course") are all in store for you in the beautiful soundscape that is this album. // 10

Lyrics: Almost impossible to decipher behind the music. I'm not sure of what Aaron Turner is actually saying so I cannot give you an opinon. The main focus of this album is the instrumentals. // 6

Overall Impression: This is album is in a growing but unpopular genre. Isis is omong the elite in the "metal/hardcore" subgenre of "noise rock" and it is showcased well on this album. Every song is different yet it is all one cohesive project and seems to flow as such. Definitly a deeper experiance than most music that is out right now. The talent and musicianship will be apprecaited by any musician and I recommend you pick it up or give it a listen at there website. // 10

More Isis reviews rating latest review
+ In The Fishtank 14 9.7 03/15/2011