Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1 Review

jackson browne: Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1
Release Date: Oct 11, 2005
Label: Inside Recordings
Genres: Rock
Presenting twelve songs culled from Browne's extensive and critically acclaimed solo acoustic concerts around the world over the past few years.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 8.9
 9.9
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: Gordibhoy, on december 26, 2005

Sound: I first spoke to Jackson Browne after a gig in Glasgow in '96, and when I overcame my nerves enough to speak, I asked JB why he hadn't done a live album since Running On Empty. He said something like "I think there's a few out there already". Of course in that time I hadn't encountered any of the innumerable boots available to JB fans. Solo acoustic is Jackson's belated attempt to cash in on his phenomenal ability to capture and hold an audience, and the tracks he has chosen here largely reflect his catalogue of the years, from Birds Of St Marks to Looking East. // 7

Lyrics: No-one who has encountered Jackson Browne's music has ever been less than complimentary about his wordcraft and his passion, which have served him well and put him on at least a level with more widely recognised contemporaries, like, say James Taylor, with perhaps more polished voices (I've always loved JB's voice, but it's not everyone's cuppa). This collection ranges from the early, youthful dreamy and less focussed songs about love and pain, to the sharply written and trenchant political anthems. // 9

Overall Impression: It has the feel of a bootleg, and a better sound than nearly all of the ones I've heard, due to the addition of spoken intros to many of the songs. The engineer has thankfully given track listings to these so that someone buying this album for the music rather than the woffle that we fans love so much can just skip direct from song to song rather than listen every time to the same stories. As a fan I have few problems with this album, but if I was using this as an intro to Jackson's music after all these years, I would expect more biographical and historical detail to flesh out the music. Even publication dates for each track to give an idea of chronology, and a footnote about where and when the recordings were made would be nice. This collection includes some great tracks, but some most definitely take on new life when played with a full band, and are not are their best when performed solo. I'm thinking especially of Take it Easy here, which even with the full band Jackson doesn't do as well as the Eagles. Solo, I'm afraid he sounds like a guy in the pub, but it's his song, so I suppose he couldn't not do it. On a more positive note to end with, I'm more than satisfied with this album, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. // 8

Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: My impression is that the sound is better than going to his concert. Obviously, still a live recording, so back ground noise is present. Some of the songs have periods of where the guitar fades, his voice however is "clear and present." The overall mix is very "relaxed" and a "pure" live rendition. In the days of looping and, digital add ons to live performances, I love the simple, pure approach to these recordings. // 9

Lyrics: I am a fan, been a fan for 30 years. My only regret relative to this particular CD is that I wish he had added a couple more (other than Taking It Easy) upbeat songs. Rosie, Redneck Friend, would have been nice. Maybe, volume II? // 10

Overall Impression: compared to his prior albums, very simple and pure. If you like "highly mixed" albums, devoid of any recorded errors, this is not the album for you. This is Jackson Browne, warts and all. Most impressive songs are hard to determine, they are all good, but if one must pick; Barricades Of Heaven, These Days, For Everyman, Rebel Jesus. What I love most about the CD is that except the song quality is better, it's just like going to a Jackson Browne acoustic concert, banter with the audience included. What I don't like (hate is too strong a word) is the fact they didn't include more info on where/when the tracks were recorded. I had to do some internet research to find out "Where The Best Place In The World To Live" was. Would recommend this to anybody who likes acoustic performances, especially if you like the acoustic guitar. I would buy it again if I lost it. // 10

Comments