Jaco Pastorius Review

artist: jaco pastorius date: 02/26/2004 category: compact discs
jaco pastorius: Jaco Pastorius
Released: Aug 1976
Genre: Jazz
Tones: Volatile, Fiery, Playful, Freewheeling, Rousing, Complex, Indulgent, Ambitious
Styles: Fusion, Post-Bop
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Jaco Pastorius Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 26, 2004

Sound: Jaco is often refered to as the worlds greatest bass player. That may be so, because this album really lets the fretless master show off his licks. The first track is called "Donna Lee" and is a duet of some bongos and Jaco on bass. Within 5 seconds of hearing it, you know it's something... special, but in a good way. Classic bass solo "Portrait Of Tracy" is on here, it's amazing. Mostly Jazz fusion kinda stuff. I'm not a jazz man myself, but as a bass player, I have to respect the riffs pulled off on the fretless Jazz Bass. A great album. // 8

Lyrics: Only "Come on, Come Over" has vocals. A very feel good, jazz song. Personally a prefer the other songs, but this track with vocals breaks the album up a bit and makes it more interesting. // 6

Overall Impression: I wanna get some Stu Hamm stuff next... this album is really good. My favourite track is "Portrait Of Tracy", the solo. The thing that lets this album down is... to me, most of the songs are just jazz tracks, with really good bass riffs. The jazz thing gets a little tireing, but I like it. I got it for 7 so that's pretty good (most cds are 10-18). This album definitely sets the standard for others to follow. All hail Jaco P! // 10

Comments