In The City Review

jam: In The City
Release Date: May 20, 1977
Label: Polydor
Genres: Punk, Mod Revival, British Punk
Even though the band would improve exponentially over the next couple of years, In the City is a remarkable debut and stands as one of the landmark punk albums.
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
In The City Reviewed by: Crash91, on may 30, 2006

Sound: 'In The City' was The Jam's first album, it was not their best album they have done, but it was certainly not their worst. Before they released 'In The City', there was success of the punk scenes, and major record companies were falling over themselves to acquire bands involved in the 'new wave' scene. And then came The Jam, arriving on the London pub scene bristling with blazing guitars in 1977. The opening track, named 'Art School' set the tone for the album: bullish bass, jagged guitars, machine-gun drums and pop art sentiments. One song named 'Sounds From The Street' contained Beach Boys surf harmonies. There was another song named 'Slow Down' which was originally done by Larry William, and 'Batman Theme' originally done by The Who, who had a big influence on The Jam. Meanwhilst, the songs 'I Got By In Time', 'Bricks And Mortar' and 'Takin' My Love' were plain gusty rock. But there were some extraordinary highlights in The Jam's first album. 'In The City' reached the album charts to no. 20, The Jam's remarkable career had begun. // 8

Lyrics: Paul Weller, the songwriter and lead guitarist, was only 18 when he made his songs, he was barely old enough to vote, see an X-movie, sign a legal document without his parents' consent, yet he was writing three-minute youth anthems that crystallised the anger and frustration of a generation. And they were of the highest quality. Also, he had incredible singing skills, that is why their first was successful. // 8

Overall Impression: Despite it was not their best album in their career, 'In The City' was a good start to their career. The most impressive songs from the album were 'In The City' and 'Away From The Numbers'. 'In The City' was the best of the two, as they actually realeased it. What I like about this album is that I enjoy listening to it, the quality of their music. However, what I didn't like about their album was that every song sounded familiar. I'm not really sure what I would do if the album got stolen. I would either buy it again, because it is only 6.00 in the shops, or I would buy a different album, because The Jam have done some better albums which are also 6.00. To end this review, 'In The City' is a good, enjoyable album to listen to. // 8

More Jam reviews rating latest review
+ Setting Sons 8.1 05/10/2010